Where Is Ace?

ChadC

Where is the ACE that I enjoyed?

..I miss it

Where is the “Corvette Saturday”

“Corvette Saturday”

When you were praying on UPS Saturday delivery of that critical part so you can make the next cruse.

ups.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When the reason to show up as not to work on cars but to hang out, drink a few beers (if you choose) and shoot the shit?

“Corvette Saturday”

Where everyone wore Ugly Hawaiian for a reason.

IMG_0906.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When you teased other members about something they lacked.

Mark1.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When one person pulled over; everyone pulled over.

IMG_0918.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When It was considered a sin to use FORD parts in a Chevy.

IMG_0015.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When we used a 1LB “wrench” to fix stuff.

brianbubba1.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When a fellow member took the time (with out asking) to Photo chop pictures of your car to see how it would look with stripes. All on a whim.

chad1.jpg

chad7.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When Mark has an empty cozy. Very Rare.

marksize.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When no one ever asked “What do you do for a living?” because we didn’t care. The common thread was we all enjoyed the Corvette experience.

“Corvette Saturday”

When we drove faster than we should have.

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

“Corvette Saturday”

When strangers wave at us when we pull in as a pack.

IMG_1025.jpg

Now all I see are;

People who are out of my tax bracket. (there sense of value is radically different than mine)

People who have grand children. (different stage in life)

People that I really don’t like but I keep my mouth shut for the greater good. (they have offended me, insulted me and yet to be positive I bite my lip)

People who wear name tags, and insist others do. (Id rather say my name and shake your hand than read a title)

There is nothing wrong with the items I listed above, however im simply not in tuned with them. Not good, not bad, just simply not my style.

This an open forum, and im tired of being quiet. I will air out my dirty laundry, express my opinion, because I believe in who I am.

I have a thick skin,

So If you feel the need to arrack me; DO so.

So If you feel the complement me; DO so.

So If you feel the criticize me; DO so.

I miss the old ACE.

Chad

I have never arracked anyone ..er .. that I know of :)

Never knew the old ACE .. then again .. ACE never knew me either.

Everything changes, gladda be here.

I have my 5lb wrench (actually . . *cough* .. 3 of them!)

Aint nothin that makes a pickle fork work better IMHO.

No qualms about addin my 2 copper here an there, ..my first street race was in 1968 .. kinda been part of that since then.. some years moreso than others.

It's a whole world of 'put up or shut up' and I enjoy bein part of it :)

-Frank

I used a 4 lb wrench on the P/S thing I did over Thanksgiving weekend.

It's still the same ACE, just a few more members getting involved...

Missing the cruises and stuff, highest speed I can attain over here is 25kph(standard airfield driving).

And I am fairly sure I am in a lower tax bracket than most here.

Doesn't matter.

It's still fun.

However, it has been while since there's been a cruise to anywhere. Not like I'll make the next one. But...

I'll be at the next one I can. :D

No qualms about addin my 2 copper here an there, ..my first street race was in 1968 .. kinda been part of that since then.. some years moreso than others.

It's a whole world of 'put up or shut up' and I enjoy bein part of it :)

HUH what the hell are you babbling about?

I used a 4 lb wrench on the P/S thing I did over Thanksgiving weekend.

Your my kind of Mechanic.

It's still the same ACE, just a few more members getting involved...

Missing the cruises and stuff, highest speed I can attain over here is 25kph(standard airfield driving).

Is it still the same ACE?

(retorical question)

... When was the last cruse just to drive?

... When was the last detail day?

Several Folks are afraid to host a detail day because some Asshole will show up, ask for help, and 10 people will bust there backs to make a black car shine like glass.

- Only to have the Asshole sell his car next week. "Thanks for busting your balls for me, I wont return the favor and Im leaving." (thoes who were there know who Im talking about)

...When was the last corvette Saturday, where a group of people banded together to help out a fellow member?

And I am fairly sure I am in a lower tax bracket than most here.

That may be true but Ill give an EXTREME example to help illustrate my point.

I have a client that is extremely rich and grew up that way. His 7 year old daughter does not know how to adjust the volume on her computer.

Instead of learning how...

Instead of discovering how....

They use the one skill they have an abundance of, money.

They pay $275 for me to 'rush' out and twist the knob.

I cannot relate to these people.

They do not have the same sence of values that I do.

They would rather Hire someone to fix there problems than discover for them selves.

However, it has been while since there's been a cruise to anywhere. Not like I'll make the next one. But...

I'll be at the next one I can. :D

I know you will. However it may be to a resturant that has tablecloths instead of hotwings.

chad

Guest Kens06

I know where you are coming from Chad.........

I remember most of those pics and there are some great memories!!

Some were even taken inside my car!! Glad to see you finally got to use a few of the bazillion pics you took that day... :clap:clap

In those days people would post an idea, then a time and place to meet!

Two cars or twenty we had fun!!

More or less, be there or miss a good time.

The pics were posted and you saw the fun you missed and tried harder to make time to join in the next event!!

Now it's sign up to get on a list so you can attend or you may not get a seat??

I'm a little on the independent side and "Homie don't play dat!!"

The family has become a clan and there's an ever changing pecking order..............

I do believe we can still have fun get togethers with inpromptu posts like Steve does for trip he and Marylou take.

Every event doesn't have to be a Gila Bend cruise!!

Post the idea, whether you ask for help busting knuckles on your car, or are going to a certain place for a beer and brat!!

Bigger isn't better, but small groups should still be able to use the forum to get together without the others feeling left out!! If it ain't on your side of town, OH well!! $57 to fill the Z today!! :U

Ken

..When was the last cruse just to drive?

A few of us braved Yarnell Hill just last weekend .. just for fun.

... When was the last detail day?

That was shinin up Melissa's red beast ...and Eddie's truck.. er .. Vette, also fun :)

...When was the last corvette Saturday, where a group of people banded together to help out a fellow member?

A few of us gathered at Tim's house to put lil wheels under the front of mine and attempt to do the same to Jack's Vette last month or so.. I understand there was an oil change comin up when I had to go.

A few more got together to watch a video just a couple weekends ago ..was a bit of fun.

You missed all of those, but you posted pix of you tearin apart the interior of your ride to change a few bits here an there, nice pix too. Looked like fun :)

I don't see the big deal in someone sellin their ride and movin on. I didn't cruise Central during the times I didn't have a ride worth goin downtown in.

I probably would continue postin here even if I decided to join the .. dare I say it ... 'Mustang' camp. (absolutely the most radical change I can think of, as I *despise* what Ford calls 'engineering')

Chad .. I don't babble.

What part of what I wrote don't you understand?

I already enjoy any time I can spend hangin, cruisin, helpin anyone here.

I need the channel changed on my TV .. what do you charge to do that?

-evil grin-

-Frank

Loud Pedal

I have seen ACE morph since I joined, and frankly I echo some of your sentiments. In fact its the reason I haven't been to an event in a while. The thing I liked most about the club was its informal nature and the club's desire to have a good time and express our love for these machines. It seems to me, too, that somewhere along the line the hall monitors we remember from jr high school found their way here.

I'm not sure what somebody's tax bracket has to do with anything. I just don't get that at all. It's all about who you are and what you're made of, not how much money you make. A blow hard is a blow hard, regardless of what their tax bracket is.

There's always the option of PM-ing people to set up a cruise. :2cents

Guest Sidewinder
I have seen ACE morph since I joined, and frankly I echo some of your sentiments. In fact its the reason I haven't been to an event in a while. The thing I liked most about the club was its informal nature and the club's desire to have a good time and express our love for these machines. It seems to me, too, that somewhere along the line the hall monitors we remember from jr high school found their way here.

I'm not sure what somebody's tax bracket has to do with anything. I just don't get that at all. It's all about who you are and what you're made of, not how much money you make. A blow hard is a blow hard, regardless of what their tax bracket is.

There's always the option of PM-ing people to set up a cruise. :2cents

Man you said it!! I think what he is referring to about the tax bracket thing was the argument post about a vette for sale and mentionings of a Fur-r-ee. I had one of the best times ever that time we all stayed after at Buff Wild Wings, shot the shit, and then had an impromptu cruise to Dave's old house and hung there for a few. Now THAT is what this club is about. I'm not talking about always drinkin beer. I'm talking about all the BSing and loud music and sittin around the table getting to know everybody!! You guys remember that? Will I drive 2 hours to hang out and have a BLAST at Dave's place or any other place for that matter? HELL YEAH, every frickin time!! Will I go to a place for lunch just because someone's spouse doesn't like the places where this club has ALWAYS gone? HELL NO!! I mean, why would you join a club if ya don't like what they do? I don't get it.

Look at our home page http://arizonavette.net/ This is what we do and where we go. If you don't wanna do that or go there then don't join.

It is easy to see the changes you are feeling and describing. It is hard to change and accept them. With that said, I joined ACE with a handful of Corvette owner's way back after it was originated. I have seen the online forum grow to over 550 members and only about 20 active members participate in events on a regular basis.

It is great to always meet new people and let them participate in something we all enjoy, Corvettes. I can think of allot of members that have joined after I did, and possibly participate in more events them me today. That is the beauty of having all these members. Someone will be able to do something when you feel like doing something Corvette. Just post an event and someone that has nothing else to do, will stop by and assist or drink a beer.

One thing I believe that allot of us do not realize, is this forum is a place for Corvette owners to come together virtually and discuss issues we are encountering with our cars mainly. This is an important part of ACE and I hope that it does not ever die. On occasion someone will ask about something other then Corvettes, and everyone that has some knowledge will give their advice.

So knowing that we have a location to ask or research a question, or share some knowledge, more and more Corvette owners will join and continue to come back. It is not required for them to participate in events and remember everyone’s name. That is something that is encouraged so a face can go with a name when you read on this forum.

Now I think the real question is where are the old ACE members?

1. I know that some have chosen to move on and have nothing to do with this site anymore.
  2. Some just sit back and participate when they feel like it.
  3. Then there are some that will participate when they get the chance.
I personally fall into the third one most of the time. Job # 1 keeps me very busy, and then my Ticket business is a seasonal type thing that can interfere with my participation in Corvette events also. Then there is the most important part of my life I seem to ignore sometimes, and that is My Family. They let me know when I do not spend enough time with them.

So with all this said, I hope some of the old members (ones that joined a long time ago) step up and join some of the new events happening, or create events where they can come together and feel like old times like Chad posted above.

Now that the Phoenix Suns are out of the playoffs, I will be attending the Go Kart event on Sunday.

Phil... :devil

I've been sitting back watching this thread develop with mixed emotions.

I'm still new by comparison to some and old to others (not quite a year yet).

I've seen it morph as well, neither better or worse. Change is what it is...change.

I'm all for corvette Saturdays, Sundays, or whateverday...if I can make it. Like Phil said, families come first and I understand some families are different from others (single, married, kids, no kids, grand kids, etc).

Tax brackets and ages are a pointless topic...it's all about our love of vettes. Some may take them in to get worked on, some may wrench themselves. Personally I'd much rather do my own wrenching than pay someone to do it for me...but that goes to everything in my life (ie. washing machine repair that I did the other day). :bang

Chad, why b!$ch about getting paid $275 to turn someone's volume up...say "thank you" and "call me any time." More mod money that way. :yesnod

I'm willing to help anyone, anywhere if it is within my ability. I don't generally drink as I am usually the driver and respect everyone on the road and will not risk their lives due to my stupidity. I am willing to hang, BS, laugh, argue, wrench or whatever you want to do when he hang out.

I know exactly what Chad is talking about on that detail day. Many of us were there and I was a bit miffed that he did that to us only to sell his car. Would have been different had he said "hey, I need some help cleaning this thing up so I can sell it" but he didn't do it that way...he duped all of us. That however is a rare thing and cannot turn us off of helping out again.

Not to bash you Chad, but when was the last time you stepped up and said..."hey, lets go or do _____"? Don't b%&ch about what is not happening without trying to make it happen. :2cents

BTW, did you not see someone post up about "Crusin" for today just because?LINKY Also, this was off the cusp as he/she posted this on the 15th for the 19th. Seems those kinds of things are still alive. I remember at the last lunch Steve said a lets gor for a ride and a handful that could took off. Point is, it does still happen. :thumbs

So come out Sunday to F-1 so we can all kick your azz on the track...and loser buys a beer or two. :lol:drinkers

Oh, and I'm sure your tax bracket is higher than mine as well. :toetap:lol:lol:lol

Lighten up gang.....everything changes....our surroundings.....our families.....our wants and needs.....everything changes but change. Tax brackets.....shit.....what's a tax bracket? When I was a kid I was so poor I had to save up to be that way. Keep cool! :cool

Frank

rhetorical question

–noun a question asked solely to produce an effect or to make an assertion and not to elicit a reply, as “What is so rare as a day in June?”

Ken

Bigger isn't better, but small groups should still be able to use the forum to get together without the others feeling left out!!

I agree

EUDLOSE

You are correct. It was a very poor choice of words on my part by saying "People who are out of my tax bracket." My intent was not to comment on how many "decimal places" some one has in there bank account, but a person who flashes there wealth to others.

In truth I have not seen ANYONE here in ACE do such a thing.

I was incorrect in saying that comment and I apologize to all who were offended by my statement.

Sidewinder

I had one of the best times ever that time we all stayed after at Buff Wild Wings, shot the shit, and then had an impromptu cruise to Dave's old house and hung there for a few. Now THAT is what this club is about. I'm not talking about always drinkin beer. I'm talking about all the BSing and loud music and sittin around the table getting to know everybody!!.... Will I go to a place for lunch just because someone's spouse doesn't like the places where this club has ALWAYS gone? HELL NO!! I mean, why would you join a club if ya don't like what they do? I don't get it.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Bigfoot99

Chad, why b!$ch about getting paid $275 to turn someone's volume up...say "thank you" and "call me any time." More mod money that way.

A: The company makes that. Not me.

B: Being pulled away from a critical project to help a rich whiney brat is not my Idea of fun. Just because someone has wealth, does not make them any more or less important than my other clients. Every one is equal.

If you wish to discuss the difference you and i have in work ethic that will be in another post.

I know exactly what Chad is talking about on that detail day. Many of us were there and I was a bit miffed that he did that to us only to sell his car. Would have been different had he said "hey, I need some help cleaning this thing up so I can sell it" but he didn't do it that way...he duped all of us. That however is a rare thing and cannot turn us off of helping out again.

Frank If you were there you would feel the same way as Sean and I. I do not think you would have said "I don't see the big deal in someone sellin their ride and movin on."

Cont..

Bigfoot99

Not to bash you Chad, but when was the last time you stepped up and said..."hey, lets go or do _____"? Don't b%&ch about what is not happening without trying to make it happen.

You bring up an excellent point. When I was working on my Headers, and Tunnel plate I thought long and hard about posting up a Corvette Saturday. However I was at a cross road.

I had a dilemma.

There are few members that I do not trust to have in my home. I do not like these people and I do not feel comfortable with them. ..Yes, Yes Im sure they like children and play with Puppies but that is not the point. I do not wish to have them into my home. Period.

Option 1: If I host a Corvette Saturday It has to be a “come one come all” invite. That did not appeal to me for the above reason.

Option 2: Host a Corvette Saturday but quietly PM the above members and Un-invite them. That has 2 negative repercussions; Being very cruel and running the risk of creating a Click Impression (popularity contest?). This was a time when ACE had a large influx of Tucson members and I felt it was important to create a positive first impression for them.

Option 3: Privately invite those whom I felt comfortable with and have a Non sanction ACE event. The disadvantage is that not everyone gets an opportunity to enjoy the bonding experience of doing Corvette stuff together. This is a key foundation of what ACE was built on.

It was a tough call, but I chose Option 3. There have been others who have made the same choice.

jstrutt

Lighten up gang.....

I feel quite strongly about this, and its important to me. I understand that "these are not real bullets" (a phrase that a Vietnam Veteran and Mentor would always tell me in a time of stress) and I have tried to add some levity to this.

Scratch

You suck. That’s all. Simple, Pure, Suckness. (that is a joke)

Phill's Vette

How 'bout everyone that is in disagreement, show up at F1 racing tomorrow and race - I'm sorry you'll not win because I'm going!

This post has the makings of a LONG drawn out, blown out of Proportion, friendship ending and TOTALLY unwelcoming message to anyone new (Or Used) that may log on to US.

Please Let It Die!!! :yesnod:yesnod:yesnod:yesnod

Guest 1FASTC4

Wow ChadC, it's a bummer that there are people in a group you feel strongly enough about to say you just plain do not like. I've never met you, that I remember, so I hope I'm not on your list.

In a group there will be certain dynamics. The last event I was at, Satisfied Frog lunch, I felt like a complete outsider as I wasn't greeted by anyone w/ so much as a nod really. I sat at a table near everyone but by myself(tables filled up w/ people familiar with each other I guess). Robert saw me and, being the kind soul that he is, eschewed his original seating choice and sat down to break bread with me.

Thanks Robert! I was really considering getting up and going home, I just didn't feel like part of the gang and you saved me. I didn't recognize many faces, didn't see Eddie,Steve, Phil, Togo,.... etc and the people there seemed wrapped up in their little groups.

I was glad to run into Tom on the way out and talk about the progress he is making on his vehicle. He's fascinating to talk with and is very talented when it comes to vehicle restoration.

I spoke with one other person at this event, just didn't see the comraderie. Certainly much of this is my fault because I don't make many events because of my brood at home. Which brings me to my next problem.

I'd love to host a vette Saturday(or Sunday so Steve could go). I have two nagging problems on my car that have left me stumped but would no doubt be cake for some other member. I'd happily get dirty working on other's cars too. In fact, I'd love to host this w/ liquid and food in bountiful amounts as a small way of thanking the group again for the car wash. I hesitate, because of the event like the Satisfied Frog.

I think people would hesitate to come because they do not feel comfortable since they do not know me, maybe they are like Chad and they do not like me but are too polite to tell me to hit the road. :)

This is a bummer because I think it should have the opposite effect. I'd hope people would come just to meet and chum up w/ other members.

Geez, this is turning into a weepy whinefest.. sorry... carry on.

Oh ya, I feel the Suns were robbed.. i was perplexed and disgusted w/ the ruling on the suspensions.

Steve

The last event I was at, Satisfied Frog lunch, I felt like a complete outsider as I wasn't greeted by anyone w/ so much as a nod really. I sat at a table near everyone but by myself(tables filled up w/ people familiar with each other I guess).

,.... etc and the people there seemed wrapped up in their little groups.

BINGO!!!! I have felt the same way at recent events. Others have said the same comment. You are not alone

Robert saw me and, being the kind soul that he is, eschewed his original seating choice and sat down to break bread with me.

I was glad to run into Tom on the way out and talk about the progress he is making on his vehicle. He's fascinating to talk with and is very talented when it comes to vehicle restoration.

ahhh......Robert and Tom some of the Old School ACE members.

Geez, this is turning into a weepy whinefest.. sorry... carry on.

Ok i know you are teasing a bit, however in all honestly I feel that this "Wine Fest", is a healthy exercise to express the negative grumblings I have been hearing to in the back ground.

Steve, for your benefit and the benefit of alot of other new folks, I believe most everyone feels like an outsider at their first few events. It is human nature to gather with those you are familiar and comfortable with. We don't have "ice breaker" exercises at our events. We're not going to go around the room and introduce ourselves.

Four years ago when I found ACE I too felt like an outsider. I would estimate it was at least six months before I felt comfortable. Mind you this was a time when we were doing one or two events a month even if it was just the Pavs on Sat afternoon.

You and others just have to attend a few events and make an effort. Part of the problem was your own when you sat by yourself. I'm not blaming you as I would probably have done the same thing. If you are a newbie in this group you just need to make that extra effort and find that empty seat with a table of others. I think anyone will find this one of the friendliest groups you'll ever join if you put a little effort into making it such.

1FastC4....(dumb me can't remember your real name :lol )

Just let us know when and where for your Covette whateverday, I'll do my damnedest to make it, as I'm sure others will too. Just speak up.

On the other subject, Stacie and I sat out our own table as well at the Frog, but I did not feel like an outsider. Most tables were full when we got there and then no one sat with us...but that's cool. I did still talk to several, I some how must have missed you. :( It's just a matter of getting up and saying HI.

Last lunch Chad went around sitting and different tables introducing himself etc. Way to go Chad! :clap:thumbs If that's what it takes then lets do it.

Name your day and I'm sure you will have people show up. I know Robert loves these things and he's probably the closest thing that we have to a C4 expert on this board...that I have seen anyway.

If you are a newbie in this group you just need to make that extra effort and find that empty seat with a table of others. I think anyone will find this one of the friendliest groups you'll ever join if you put a little effort into making it such.

:agree