Stolen Corvettes

Desertdawg

Desertdawg

Janie sent this to me, I thought it was worth posting...

Forwarding this email from someone on the Corvette Restoration and

Preservation List who's Corvette was stolen by a bad check.

Please keep your eye out for this Vette (or any Vette that seems too

good to

be true).

Seller beware.

Scott

-----Original Message-----

I and another gentleman in Western Michigan both had our 2005 Vett's

stolen by some smooth operators this weekend. We had them for sale on

AutoTrader.

Following up several days of normal calls and dickering on price, etc. 3

guys came to my house and "bought" my Vett on Saturday. I had a

certified

check in hand and copy of his drivers license. They left my house and

picked

up off another Vett again with a certified check. Turns out checks are

bogus, so were licenses. They were supposedly from Muncie, Indiana.

Mine was a Lemans Blue convertible with Tan top and interior. The other

gentlemen's was a black Coupe. So if you see any deals too good to be

true,

they probably are. And don't let yourself fall victim to these guys.

They had a women call each of us saying they were going to the bank to

get

the certified checks and needed the correct spelling of our names, etc.

By

the way, the second victim recognized my car by the picture in

AutoTrader.

The had parked it down the road from his house and didn't notice it

until

they were leaving, that is when he got the bad feeling and had to wait

until

today to find out his check was bad.

The VIN for the Lemans Blue Convertible is 1G1YY34U055127912. The police

suspect a ring out of Chicago that has been hitting our area.

Curt Walburg

'58 and stolen '05

:eek Talk about "Caveat venditor"....

I hope they catch those a-holes and the cars are recovered. If I were selling though, I might just have to have cash in hand, no checks period. Course you have to check the money nowadays too...how 'bout that counterfeit-proof new money! :huh

Guest UVETTYA

I can't believe they took a check for the car without going to the bank to make sure it was good. What the hell were they thinking? :crazy

Note to self: Always go to bank with buyer to verify funds.

LoJack is guud.

-Frank

Wire transfers are your friend, too. When I sold my Harley, the buyer's credit union directly deposited the funds into my credit union's account and they were different institutions.

Robert and Elizabeth
Note to self: Always go to bank with buyer to verify funds.

LoJack is guud.

-Frank

:agree

I have never sold a car to a private party. But if I ever did, I would definitely go to the bank with the buyer to verify funds. When my 02 WS6 Trans AM needed to be sold because my 07 ZO6 was coming in, I started to get nervous. I was scared to sell it to a private party for just that reason. I had no experience selling cars outright and did not know what the normal protocols were. Ended up someone who worked at the dealership wanted to buy it and gave me my selling price. The dealership treated it like a trade in, so it was easy. I know dealerships rarely if ever give you a good deal on a trade in, but sometimes it can save you the hassles of selling outright. Just my :2cents

Also, both our vehicles have LoJack. LOVE IT!! :thumbs

First of all I will disappoint you folks with LoJack. About 85% or better chance that is you find you vehicle via LoJack it will be in pieces. Rarily are high end cars stolen to drive. They are normally stolen for the parts. I worked Auto Theft for 8 yrs while in LE. If you know what you're doing you can strip every useable (saleable) part off a car in less than 10 mins. It will take the cops that long to get out of the Dunkin Doughnuts shop. In my opinion LoJack is on my list of consumer ripoffs right below On-Star.

As for the check issue. I work Corporate Security for a bank and I would only take two forms of payment. 1 is a wire transfer. That is the same as cash to your bank. The sender can't back out, put a stop payment on it and it's guaranteed money. 2 would be to go the the buyers bank and obtain an "Official Check". The reason I say that is your bank can not confirm funds on another banks check. The funds may be there but when they see its a counterfeit "Official Check" you will be the one at loss. We have people all the time that bring a check to one of our branches and ask them to confirm funds. The branch calls the other bank and give them the account number, name, etc and that bank says the funds are good. Three days later when that bank sees the check then it bounces like a rubber ball. Was that bank wrong in advising the check was good? No, the funds were there at the time but the azzhat that gave you the check has written ten more of the same checks all over town.

Okay, enough of Fraud 101. Hope I save someone from becoming a victim. :D

When I bought my vetter through private party, the seller was with me at the bank and got the check directly from the loan officer.

I have bought and sold several cars/ bikes

Cash is king.

If the buyer wants the car, they will make the effort to get cash or perform a wire transfer.

I have bought and sold several cars/ bikes

Cash is king.

If the buyer wants the car, they will make the effort to get cash or perform a wire transfer.

I agree also about Cash....But there have been some very good counterfeits on the market for the past few years. You need to be careful accepting $100 bills.

Do you really want $20,000 or $30,000 in CASH on your person or at your house? Only if you're a fan of armed robbery or home invasions...

Not to mention having to check 200 or 300 bills to make sure each is not a counterfeit? I've seen plenty of $20 and $10 counterfeit bills as well.

Meet at their bank, go inside, wire the funds, and sign the title in front of their notary. If the buyers bank is loaning the funds, the bank will often transfer the title for you and issue the buyer a temporary license plate while you wait.

Wire transfers are your friend, too. When I sold my Harley, the buyer's credit union directly deposited the funds into my credit union's account and they were different institutions.

:agree If you're a Canuck in the US buying a car it is best to have your bank/credit union diectly deposit the funds into the sellers account. It is instant and there is no :bs involved.

Do you really want $20,000 or $30,000 in CASH on your person or at your house? Only if you're a fan of armed robbery or home invasions...

NOt to Offend Ted but I feel that is a statment made out if fear.

I dont operate like that.

I have carried large sums of cash several times, I simply dont advertise it when I do.

I also cary this when I have $20,000

glock17.jpg

The few times i made a large cash deals I made it known "I have a gun, everything is fine, here is the title."

IF you fan out the bills and stripe the cash Pen it only takes 30 seconds to check out $20,000 from being fake.

This is my opnion, and its ok for you and I to disagree. :howdy

cheers

chad

When I carry 20 g's in cash I take this but he's hard to hide......

When I carry 20 g's in cash I take this but he's hard to hide......

Oh you can hide him

Just ask Richard Gear how.

NOt to Offend Ted but I feel that is a statment made out if fear.

I dont operate like that.

I have carried large sums of cash several times, I simply dont advertise it when I do.

I also cary this when I have $20,000

glock17.jpg

The few times i made a large cash deals I made it known "I have a gun, everything is fine, here is the title."

IF you fan out the bills and stripe the cash Pen it only takes 30 seconds to check out $20,000 from being fake.

This is my opnion, and its ok for you and I to disagree. :howdy

cheers

chad

Chad, you've obviously been lucky. All it takes is someone with more guns than you. Ripoffs occur every day. If there is an easier way and a wire transfer is easier then why be the macho man and chance it. I can tell you Ted speaks from experience.

My one question would be are you willing to sell your life for $20k? If the answer is no then you might as well shove that glock up your azz cause the true bad guy is going to sell his for less than that $20k.

Guest RojoSi5

All the Corvettes were recovered with not a scratch on either.

The bad guys posted them on E-bay for sale before they stole one of them. A policeman offered to buy one and guess what? Yes they caught all but one, he/she is still on the run.

The Law recovered 5 stolen vette the bad guy had listed on E-bay.

Give the law enforcement a big hand :clap

Janie,

That is great news! I'm sure the owners were very happy to see their babies back intact. That's a pretty rare thing these days. Kudos to the good guys! :clap:thumbs

M~