Headers

Bigfoot

OK, here's the scoop...I'm getting close to a purchase and want some opinions.

What I have found online so far:

Corvette Garage.com: Kooks $1439.90

Dynatech $1489.00

Parts for your car.com: Kooks $1489.99

Dynatech $1499.99

Texas Speed.com: Dynatech $1499.99

Xtreme Motorsports: TPIS $1499.00

Kooks $1582.80

LG Motorsports: LG Street series $1195.00

All systems are long tube headers, hi-flow cats, and x-pipe.

Is there any reason why I should not get the LG's? They are obviously the best priced and are actually made by Borla.

I know Mike at AZP&S&Guns will meet/beat anyone's price on Kooks but I'd like opinions on these that I'm looking at here. But for about a $250 savings with the LG's, they look very attractive. I don't know much about any of the manufacturers so please chime in.

Thanks,

Sean

Robert and Elizabeth

I remember Mike at AZPS telling us that Kooks are better than the LG's and that sometimes the LGs will not fit properly. You get a better quality product with Kooks and a better fit and finish. Also, Katech engineering uses Kooks on their engine packages. They also look kick *ss on your car!! It actually has the name "Kooks" badged onto the headers when you look down at them. Pretty cool! :thumbs

You can take a look at ours when we meet for the lunch on Sunday.

anmracing2

Kooks and SLPs are what all the GTO guys are using and I haven't heard a bad thing about either. We have the SLP and they slide right in. It's a one day DIY......

I haven't heard any thing good about shorty headers other than they are a waste of money and time. Long tubes would definately be the way to go which ever one you choose.......

Andrew

Guest UVETTYA

Everyone will tell you what they have is the best! :lol

I bought the LG street series because the majority of the Z06 crowd seems to think they offer the best bang for the buck - HP, quality and cost. I've also haven't read any complaints about the LG headers while I have heard of Kooks and others having issues with the welds coming loose after awhile.

The LG PRO series cost about $600 more than the street series but Lou at LG told me that I shouldn't spend the extra money for the PRO series unless I was trying to squeeze every single HP out of the car that I could. The difference between the two is just a larger collector. Everything else is the same.

Guest Kens06

Go with the LG streets!!

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish except to be able to say you have headers??

If you are looking for HP, other mods need to be done to reap any real rewards!!

My .02

Ken

I remember Mike at AZPS telling us that Kooks are better than the LG's and that sometimes the LGs will not fit properly. You get a better quality product with Kooks and a better fit and finish. Also, Katech engineering uses Kooks on their engine packages. They also look kick *ss on your car!! It actually has the name "Kooks" badged onto the headers when you look down at them. Pretty cool! :thumbs

You can take a look at ours when we meet for the lunch on Sunday.

As I remember mike told me the exact opposite elizabeth and it was the kooks that had a crappy fit up. I went with the lgs for that very reason.

I think I'm leaning towards the LG's. There are quite a few on CF that like them as well.

I'm not looking for gobs of HP like R&E :lol . I'm shooting for a little over 400 at the wheels in the end and plan to get there with headers, cam and heads (maybe a FAST 90 too, but don't know about that yet). It's just going to have to be a little at a time.

And Steve, it's a $700 difference between the Streets and the Pros. :lol

Thanks guys

Sean

Go with the LG streets!!

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish except to be able to say you have headers??

If you are looking for HP, other mods need to be done to reap any real rewards!!

My .02

Ken

:agree

Guest AZ Power & Sound
OK, here's the scoop...I'm getting close to a purchase and want some opinions.

What I have found online so far:

Corvette Garage.com: Kooks $1439.90

Dynatech $1489.00

Parts for your car.com: Kooks $1489.99

Dynatech $1499.99

Texas Speed.com: Dynatech $1499.99

Xtreme Motorsports: TPIS $1499.00

Kooks $1582.80

LG Motorsports: LG Street series $1195.00

All systems are long tube headers, hi-flow cats, and x-pipe.

Is there any reason why I should not get the LG's? They are obviously the best priced and are actually made by Borla.

I know Mike at AZP&S&Guns will meet/beat anyone's price on Kooks but I'd like opinions on these that I'm looking at here. But for about a $250 savings with the LG's, they look very attractive. I don't know much about any of the manufacturers so please chime in.

Thanks,

Sean

Just from the perspective of a guy whos probably done more headers then anyone in AZ and seen them all, here are a few tips...

LG Street headers are a copy of Dynatech headers, only much less quality in the midpipe section using cheaper clamps etc. The 3 sets ive done I had to weld the mid sections because they wouldnt clamp or seal correctly... Power wise they will make the same as all the rest and fit well NOW... they had some bad batches in the past which is one of the reasons I switched to kooks, however im sure they have that fixed now.

LG Pro Headers - one of the better headers ive done... built by Borla so the quality is up there... mid section is less then impressive but overall header is awesome for power and fitment... downside is very expensive and sometimes a decent wait for them.

Dynatechs I hate with a passion... their gaskets suck, the bolts that attach the midpipes and headers are a complete nightmare, and there are just much better options

Kooks ive yet to have a single complaint with... After using strictly LGM headers for over a year, after trying my first set of kooks I was hooked because fitment was incredible, midpipes couldnt be easier to install/remove, and the quality of the thicker stainless steel was amazing and quieter under the hood. I know Chris had a problem with one of the air tubes, but most headers ive seen with air tubes break sooner or later so if I were you I would go with the race headers.

SLP headers are good construction with stainless steel and coating, downside is they are very heavy... big upside is with OE quality flanges, they seal well, fit well and rarely leak.

I have NOT done a back to back power comparison with the LG Pro vs Kooks yet, but I assume they would be very close if not identicle... I ran LG on my C6 and my C5, however when my new engine comes im going to be using Kooks 1 7/8 headers for the larger size, and I really just dont like LGs Z06 header

As I said before, I will match any price on LGM or Kooks stuff...

:toetap I wish just one of us out here would get some American Racing headers....I read some good things on CF. I wanna check some out though....

Darrell at Xtreme was tellin' me Kooks is the shit they prefer on 'vettes, although the set Kooks sent for the 6.1 Hemi Charger over there was for a 5.7 and wouldn't fit. So....caveat emptier, huh Dawg? :D

For what its worth, I like my Dynatechs, and peeps say they sound great ...especially backed up with B&B's. But I'm a cheap bastage, and squeeze every penny. Shocking news. :huh

Sean, do some research...poke your head under some hoods at the next gtg, ask for some parking lot rev contests, and go from there. You can read CF until your eyes bleed, you'll never get a definitive answer there, get what you determine that you like/want/need. And then save up for heads, cam, whatever, cause you'll need them to see the full benefit of the headers. "Synergy" - Warren Buffett

Boy, lots to think about. Still leaning towards the LG Streets as I am like MOTV8 and try and squeeze every penny.

One other question. What is the emissions effect if the air tubes are done away with? From what I can gather they are mostly for cold starts and pump air into the ex. manifold for about 2 mins.

I also read quite a bit about those American Racing Headers...bit expensive though. Think the cheapest I've seen those is somewhere over $1,600 for full set-up. Guys on CF love them though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered them!!!!!!!

Went with LG Streets, cat-less, x-pipe. :bang:3gears:

UPS ground, should be here some time next year. :lol

Robert and Elizabeth

Congrats Sean!! :thumbs

Can't wait to see and hear them! :devil

Guest AZ Power & Sound

The guys running american racing are ex-kooks employees... its basically a kooks header with a merge collector

Excellent choice! With Nic around there's no need for cats as I just passed emissions without them in March lol.

Excellent choice! With Nic around there's no need for cats as I just passed emissions without them in March lol.

Yeah, just need the money for that now. :lol Well, I got a couple weeks anyway between ship time and install. Might need to borrow a set of bigger jack stands though. I only have one tall set and one short set. Anyone that is going to F-1 on Saturday got some tall ones I might borrow for a bit?

Sean

Sheesh...how long does it take to process and order.

I ordered on 5/14 and here it is the end of the day on 5/17 and the order is still "processing." :toetap

Know what you mean, it took them a week to process the muffler, and only three days to ship. More than likely they did not have them and had to order some in. :D

Know what you mean, it took them a week to process the muffler, and only three days to ship. More than likely they did not have them and had to order some in. :D

Hmmmm, I ordered direct from LG...I'd hope they have their own stuff in stock. :toetap:lol

Guest UVETTYA

Hmmmm, I ordered direct from LG...I'd hope they have their own stuff in stock. :toetap:lol

I had to wait. It's not their own stuff - Borla makes it and if you're waiting, LG is waiting too.

I had to wait. It's not their own stuff - Borla makes it and if you're waiting, LG is waiting too.

Well don't that suck. :toetap

Well don't that suck. :toetap

Ha, Ha told ya. :toetap

Guest AZ Power & Sound

We waited 3 weeks for our last set of LGs, and then they forgot the O2 extensions... twice! :lol