Spirited driving and your boss

az57chevy

Not sure if any Corvette's are involved but consider this the next time you complain about LEO's or a "little spirited driving" ......

SCOTTSDALE - Scottsdale police said Thursday that two officers have been placed on indefinite paid leave after being suspected of drag racing while off duty.

Police responded to a call reporting two cars speeding on Pima Road near Thompson Peak Parkway at 8:30 p.m. on April 14.

Police said the officers involved, Matt Leal and Eric Teeter, were driving their personal vehicles during the incident.

Scottsdale Police spokesman Sergeant Mark Clark said one of the vehicles hit a curb at Union Hills Drive. No one was hurt.

The police traffic unit is conducting a reckless-driving investigation, police said. Authorities have not made any arrests or issues citations.

Here's a link http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/l...briefs0427.html

Was one of them Eddie? :lol:toetap

:toetap:toetap

My question is how many of you would be disciplined or even fired by your employer for stuff you've done on an ACE cruise?

Right here.... I would probably have my driving on base suspended. Would probably have to walk to work.

The article says they haven't made any arrest or givin any citations. If that's true, then that's bullshit. A regular Joe's car would have been impounded and you would have probably been arrested on the spot for street racing no questions asked. They broke the laws they have sworn to uphold, let's how far this goes in the media. :bs

If you research the situation one vehicle had left the scene. The one vehicle remained because it had struck the curb. I'm guessing it was damaged beyond being able to leave. The cops had witnesses but did not actually witness the incident. I doubt AZ law has changed but an officer can't make an arrest for a misdemeanor not commited in his presence. Reckless Driving / Drag Racing is a criminal misdemeanor. They can investigate and submit their investigation to the DA's Office for charges.

There is an above average chance that one or both of these officers will loose their jobs because of this incident. I sincerely doubt that if you were involved in this incident the people on base would ever know about it let alone would you loose your livelihood. I will bet you a Ruth Chris' steak dinner that these two will face prosecution along with discipline from their department.

A regular Joe's car would have been impounded and you would have probably been arrested on the spot for street racing no questions asked.

So were you talking to Joe too????

BTW, he got bailed out and picked up his GTO before the tow truck got there.

Guest Sidewinder

Oh they would know about it because the first person the cops would call would be my first sarge to get me out of the pokey. According to the news they will throw the book at you for street racing. Is it illegal to leave the scene?

Guest UVETTYA

I should prolly stay out of this because my opinions usually piss people off. :lol

But I think that is entirely appropriate that they get prosecuted and even fired if convicted, considering their job situation. Their actions demonstrate a blatant disrespect for, and a total disregard of, the very authority they "chose" to represent. Firing them may sound harsh but I think those who place themselves in a position of authority should also step up and hold themselves to a higher standard.

If my company caught me moonlighting at Intel on my days off or refurbishing equipment for a competitor, they would consider that a conflict of interest and fire me.

And of course we don't know all the details, but from what we suspect, I don't think it would be unusual to fire these guys if it were found to be true. :2cents

Oh they would know about it because the first person the cops would call would be my first sarge to get me out of the pokey. According to the news they will throw the book at you for street racing. Is it illegal to leave the scene?

Is it illegal to leave the scene? No, doesn't everyone that's not caught leave the scene? It's not a seperate crime until you're involved in an accident. Only one of these vehicles was involved in the accident by hitting the curb.

As for you First Sgt being called, I doubt it. I arrested alot of Luke Airmen and only once or twice did I ever call Luke and that was only because they were Azzhats. Okay, maybe they would call your first sgt...... J/K :lol:lol

I should prolly stay out of this because my opinions usually piss people off. :lol

But I think that is entirely appropriate that they get prosecuted and even fired if convicted, considering their job situation. Their actions demonstrate a blatant disrespect for, and a total disregard of, the very authority they "chose" to represent. Firing them may sound harsh but I think those who place themselves in a position of authority should also step up and hold themselves to a higher standard.

If my company caught me moonlighting at Intel on my days off or refurbishing equipment for a competitor, they would consider that a conflict of interest and fire me.

And of course we don't know all the details, but from what we suspect, I don't think it would be unusual to fire these guys if it were found to be true. :2cents

Totally different scenerio Steve. If they worked for another PD on the side I would understand them being fired. These are misdemeanor traffic offenses. Would your employer fire you for a drag racing ticket/arrest? I can understand if either of these guys has other discipline in their file. This could be the "straw that broke the camel's back" but not this alone. They should have to take their lumps and I'm familiar enough with Scottsdale PD that I believe they will but I don't see that they should be fired.

There is an above average chance that one or both of these officers will loose their jobs because of this incident. I sincerely doubt that if you were involved in this incident the people on base would ever know about it let alone would you loose your livelihood. I will bet you a Ruth Chris' steak dinner that these two will face prosecution along with discipline from their department.

I'm with Mark on this one. There would be a lot of people that would be in the know about your driving adventure off duty, starting like Mark said...The 1st Shirt and then it rolls down hill from there and depending on the rank...up hill as well. It would affect your livelihood because your pay would be involved if you lost a strip or some other rank over it and not to mention the fact that on your next EPR/OER, it will reflect which is directly related to promotions and your wallet. :eek The base/military law is almost ALWAYS a double jeopardy thing with downtown law. I don't agree with it, but it's a fact. :banghead

If it happened on base, there would be all kinds of repercussions, starting with the SP who pulled you over, your 1st Sgt, your commander, your supervisor, lotsa paperwork.

I doubt if seperation from the service would happen, unless you deliberately ran into a parked F-4 (Leavenworth, Dishonorable Discharge ..was at George AFB when a guy did that to a buncha F-4's with his fuel truck).

Personally .. I don't see any reason to fire those guys .. spur of the moment or planned race, it happens -shrug- .. even to LEO's.

Fine and a butt chewing by the boss, move along.

But .. that's just me.

I have no doubt they'll blow it all outta proportion on the news, if it gets air time.

-Frank (just my 2 copper)

Guest Kens06

I don't believe they should be fired!!

Cops are people too, and all their decisions off duty may not be sound, but are any of ours??

I can see the lawyers having a field day with all the moving violations they have written!!

Who knows, after a little vacation to rethink this incident, their attitude when they pull you over may be more relaxed!!

Shit happens to everyone, a badge does not turn you into Superman!!

Lighten up on the guys, nothing was hurt but their name and pride!

Imagine hitting that squad room the next duty day................................. :leaving

Ken

Robert and Elizabeth
My question is how many of you would be disciplined or even fired by your employer for stuff you've done on an ACE cruise?

Eddie, If Robert or I were to get a ticket that was a criminal/felony offense (example: excessive speed 20 or 25 mph+ over I think), we would lose our jobs.

Robert is a garbage man. He needs his CDL class A for his job. He loses his license, no workee.

I have a license to work as an RN. Any felony linked to me causes the State Board of Nursing to investigate what happened. They would pull my RN license which means no workee for me. It has happened to others, just browse the AZ State Board of Nursing website. This will also apply to Robert after he gets his RN license.

Just an FYI.

IMHO, those Scottsdale LEO's should be disciplined only. Like mentioned earlier, they are regular folk like us who like fast cars too. They were off duty and made a bad choice. It happens to all of us. Just my :2cents

Cops are people too, and all their decisions off duty may not be sound, but are any of ours??

I can see the lawyers having a field day with all the moving violations they have written!!

Who knows, after a little vacation to rethink this incident, their attitude when they pull you over may be more relaxed!!

Imagine hitting that squad room the next duty day................................. :leaving

Ken

:eek Does anybody have the name of a good shrink??? OMG, I agree 100% with Ken :lol:lol

Elizabeth - You make a common mistake that the general public often makes. There is no FELONY offense here. I tried to clue everyone when I said several times MISDEMEANOR. I will guarantee that you would not loose your RN license over a traffic offense. It may cause Robert to loose his because of the CDL requirement. Does his employer require somewhere that he report any and all traffic offenses?

Alot of whether people loose their jobs, Robert, Mark or anyone else is whether they go to work and shoot their mouths off about getting arrested. I know very few employers that do regular checks on their employees driving records. That includes employers who require driving company vehicles in their jobs.

I know one of the local television stations did a piece where they investigated City of Phx employees and found several with multiple DUI's and Revoked Drivers Licenses. Why, because the employee never told the City.

Robert and Elizabeth
Elizabeth - You make a common mistake that the general public often makes. There is no FELONY offense here. I tried to clue everyone when I said several times MISDEMEANOR. I will guarantee that you would not loose your RN license over a traffic offense. It may cause Robert to loose his because of the CDL requirement. Does his employer require somewhere that he report any and all traffic offenses?

Alot of whether people loose their jobs, Robert, Mark or anyone else is whether they go to work and shoot their mouths off about getting arrested. I know very few employers that do regular checks on their employees driving records. That includes employers who require driving company vehicles in their jobs.

I know one of the local television stations did a piece where they investigated City of Phx employees and found several with multiple DUI's and Revoked Drivers Licenses. Why, because the employee never told the City.

Thanks Eddie for filling me in about it being a Misdemeanor offense. That helps. :thumbs

Yes, Robert has to have a physical and MVD report each year sent to his employer (Waste Management). He also has to tell his Boss if he gets a ticket because if they find out without you telling them, not good. Also, with a CDL, you can not go to traffic school and have the offense disappear. You do have to go to traffic school, but you also get the points too!! It happened to his friend who ran a red light who works there. It was in his personal vehicle and on his own time too.

So everyone note: Waste Management does monitor it's employee's driving records if they are a driver with them!! :toetap

Ken

:agree:agree:agree

Oh they would know about it because the first person the cops would call would be my first sarge to get me out of the pokey.

:agree Mark is 100% correct. I know of more than 1 airman who have been busted for excessive speed and gotten slapped pretty hard here on base.

Only a couple things. If "convicted" of any sort of crime off base, Uncle Sam cannot convict us of the same crime...that whole double jeopardy thing.

However, they can take base driving away and a number of other things...even enough to get that airman administratively discharged.

Here's a for instance. Say a kid gets a DUI ticket but is not officially charged or convicted...if Uncle Sam can prove the infraction, then they can be punished on base even though it happened off base.

Guest UVETTYA

Well, flame suit on - but those guys are lucky it's not my decision because I would fire them in a heart beat if convicted. :bang

I think people in a position of authority should be held to a higher standard. I believe integrity is an absolute neccessity for anyone in a position of authority, and especially for LE. I think if you have sworn to uphold and enforce the laws then you should be responsible enough to at least abide by those same laws you've sworn to uphold - on or off duty. If LE is not the example, then who is? If you can't obey the laws yourself then you have no business enforcing them. I think a lot of cops take that job for the wrong reason - it's not about serving the community - it's about their ego.

:rant

Robert and Elizabeth
I think people in a position of authority should be held to a higher standard. I believe integrity is an absolute neccessity for anyone in a position of authority, and especially for LE. I think if you have sworn to uphold and enforce the laws then you should be responsible enough to at least abide by those same laws you've sworn to uphold - on or off duty. If LE is not the example, then who is? If you can't obey the laws yourself then you have no business enforcing them. I think a lot of cops take that job for the wrong reason - it's not about serving the community - it's about their ego.

:rant

I agree with you Steve. People who are in a position of authority should be held to a higher standard. They should be an example to the rest of us. But again, they are just regular people like us, and sometimes mistakes happen because of poor decisions.

E~

For the most part I agree with both of you Elizabeth and Steve. I think these guys should have some time off w/o pay to think about their poor decision making skill. I don't agree that someone should loose their job over a misdemeanor violation. If these were felony violations I'd be 100% behind firing them. We're pretty quick to judge others to a standard we wouldn't want to uphold.

We had a President who committed purjury and kept his job. I'd have been fired from my 23 yr career if I had purjured myself. Why are cops expected to uphold a standard that the President can't seem to live up to? Like some have said, they are human and do make mistakes. Big ones should bring firing but small indiscretions should mean punishment but not firing. Just my .02!

Guest UVETTYA
For the most part I agree with both of you Elizabeth and Steve. I think these guys should have some time off w/o pay to think about their poor decision making skill. I don't agree that someone should loose their job over a misdemeanor violation. If these were felony violations I'd be 100% behind firing them. We're pretty quick to judge others to a standard we wouldn't want to uphold.

We had a President who committed purjury and kept his job. I'd have been fired from my 23 yr career if I had purjured myself. Why are cops expected to uphold a standard that the President can't seem to live up to? Like some have said, they are human and do make mistakes. Big ones should bring firing but small indiscretions should mean punishment but not firing. Just my .02!

That was at least a nickel. You'll have to delete 3 cents worth. :lol

For most part agree both of Elizabeth Steve. think guys have some time w/o pay think about poor decision making. don't agree someone loose job over a misdemeanor. If felony violations I'd be 100% behind firing. pretty quick to judge to a standard we wouldn't want.

President committed purjury kept his job. I'd been fired from my career had I purjured. are cops expected a standard the President can't live to? some said, they are human and do mistakes. Big ones bring firing but small indiscretions should mean punishment not firing. Just my .02!

There, I deducted .03 worth. Is that better? :D

Good thinking Eddie44. It's all so much easier to sit on the other side of the fence. The last perfect person got nailed to 2 hunks of wood...........

Guest Sidewinder
The last perfect person got nailed to 2 hunks of wood...........

I don't get it?