emissions exemption

ICULUKN

New law exempts collector cars from emissions tests

Bob Golfen

The Arizona Republic

Apr. 11, 2007 12:00 AM

Car hobbyists and collectors can skip state emissions tests starting this month as the law exempting collectible vehicles goes into effect with April registration renewals.

The exemption, recently approved by the federal Environmental Protection Agency, allows show cars and hobby vehicles 15 years or older to bypass emissions for annual renewal in Maricopa and Pima counties as long as they carry special collector-car insurance, which limits mileage and use.

The Arizona Motor Vehicle Division has been working with insurance companies that provide collector-car insurance to compile a database of vehicles that are exempt, said Cydney DeModica, spokeswoman for MVD. advertisement

"We've been working with the insurance industry for quite some time, and the companies are sending us data transmissions that include the collector cars registered in the state," DeModica said.

Collector vehicles on the list should receive renewal forms that say "no emissions test required," although there are still some gaps in the database, she added. If the form for an eligible vehicle says "emissions test required," the owner should bring proof of insurance into an MVD office to get the exemption.

Vehicle registration can be completed online at www .servicearizona.com.

Emissions testing, what's that? :leaving

It's that thing where they plug into the port under that dash...push a couple buttons...you pay them $27ish...and they give you a slip that says "PASS"...what a scam. :toetap

*that* is cool.

6 years an my lil '98 Vette won't need no steenkeeng emissions test :cool:

-Frank (a '91 would be exempt! .. rat motor C-4 anyone? -g-)

Completely useless if you do not have Collector Car Insurance (ie: if you intend to drive your car to places other than car shows)

• 12 years later...

Is this info still correct.  If I have collector car insurance I avoid emissions in Maricopa?  The vehicle is a 1950 with a ZZ4 chevy engine.

TIA!!!

9 hours ago, JohnU said:

Is this info still correct.  If I have collector car insurance I avoid emissions in Maricopa?  The vehicle is a 1950 with a ZZ4 chevy engine.

TIA!!!

A 1950 vehicle is already exempt from emissions.  The emissions requirements apply to 1967 and newer vehicles only.

Official AZDEQ FAQs:

https://www.myazcar.com/faqs

For newer vehicles that DO require emissions, collector insurance is the key. 

I know someone with a 2010 vehicle with collector insurance - no emissions. 

The downside is there are specific requirements or restrictions, such as usage, mileage, must be garaged, etc. The specifics vary between carriers and policies.  

We have Julies insured through Hagerty and the only exception is her car cannot be driven to work and must be garaged but we also do have collector plates and no emissions are required and plates are super cheap, i.e $120 for a 5 yr registration.

I sell classic car insurance for all years of vehicles. Yes there are restrictions, each company is different.  One says the vehicle has to be over 25 years but no mileage or garage restrictions, one will do any year but it has to be an “extra” vehicle and they also offer unlimited, they’re all slightly different. I have had no issues with payout for any of them. I just use different ones depending on the clients’ situations. 

It’s nice not having to do emissions. 

Also, the company I choose depends on the type of vehicle. One may accept a Jeep or truck that the others won’t. 

That being said, if a car is 1966 or older, your emissions are waived anyway in AZ.  The purpose of classic insurance would be for the low premium in this case.  

Usual problem surfaced....."where to put it"?  Is keeping me from doing something "stupid".