• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buccaneer

• Grayeagle

• Eddie44

• VetteTax

Will try and make it but not sure. We have a few things to do first and then see where we are on time. If not maybe next week.

Sheesh.

Thought it was off the 202 .. discovered there is no Arizona Blvd exit off the 202 (huh?) .. so took a stab and headed south on Country Club.

Turned out Country Club is Arizona Blvd down south aways .. LOL.

Was beginnin to think Ocotillo was a myth when I finally ran across it.

Was a nice night for a drive, some nice cars there :)

Glad to see Glen and met Tom there with his primer beast :)

Felt like old times on Central :)

-Frank

Felt like old times on Central :)

-Frank

When were you cruisin Central? I was there mainly 66 thru 72 after that I was cruising it in a Tan & Wht.

So what happened to everyone tonight? I did meet Frank, nice car btw Frank. Saw a couple other vettes and talked to a guy that went with the bunch to Yuma in a red C6. You guys must have been home cleaning your cars for tomorrow huh...A few nice cars and of course the black beasty.

LOL, had a few people say they liked the primer look...YUCK! I really do need to finish this off soon. Glad to met you Frank and hope to see you again at the next one if possible. :thumbs

I really want to visit this show, I just had 147 other things going on.....

I will make it soon, but at least the next 2 weekends are already tentatively booked. :banghead

Cruisin Central : late '68 - late '72 then off and on as I came home on leave in the USAF now an then.

Summer of '69 I was the Copper Metallic '67 Hemi GTX 4-gear car, cragars, 9" slicks, in the library parkin lot (took alla Hemi emblems off after the first 2 weeks .. nobody would race till then!)

'70-73 cruised a '69 Platinum Silver 4-gear Road Runner

'73-'74 cruised a '64 L-88 powered Chevelle Malibu, and the Road Runner now an then. (stationed at DMAFB, Tucson in '73)

1991 ..Last few times down Central in my Hemi Orange '71 Duster, 440 6-bbl powered :)

-Frank

We probably crossed paths at some point then. I had a blue-green 66 Mustang square back with a hi-po 289. Spent a lot of my time in a friends blue 55 Chev with a 369 ci smallblock. We hung out most at Midas just north of Ind. Sch.

LOL...Frank had a couple good stories about that GTX the other night at the show. Eddie, how do you get 369ci? :chris That's an odd number out of a SBC. Maybe a 377ci instead? Just wondering... :cone I could see that out of a Ford motor, but then why put a Ford motor in a 55...Doh! Thats just wrong... :huh

LOL...Frank had a couple good stories about that GTX the other night at the show. Eddie, how do you get 369ci? :chris That's an odd number out of a SBC. Maybe a 377ci instead? Just wondering... :cone I could see that out of a Ford motor, but then why put a Ford motor in a 55...Doh! Thats just wrong... :huh

I wasn't in on building the motor so I'm not sure but I think it had to do with stroking it with a crank out of a 400 sb or something.

A 400 with a 350 crank is a 377ci. and a 350 with a 400 crank is a 383ci. 369 is just an odd number indeed for a SBC. Maybe Frank can shed some light on that combo?

hmm... aye we may have 'seen' each other at a light or cruisin :)

Lotta one-off small blocks runnin back then.. my brother-in-law was runnin a canadian block 283, bored .250 out with a 283 crank in it..

..frik-kin 8k rpm motor in a black 55 chebby, black steel wheels, very much a sleeper ..ran 10.20's out at Mel Larsons till he blowed it up -evil grin- .. missed a gear.

I seem to recall the popular mix was 350 block with 283 crank = 302 high windin lil screamer motor. Kinda how GM came up with the Trans-Am motor that they stuffed in the Z-28's.

Goin the other way was 283 block with 350 crank = 307 ... low rpm long stroke truck motor, not many people fixed em up to go fast.

369 could have been mild stroker crank in a 350 .. or a mild de-stroke of a 400 small block :) You can still get any stroke combo you want from Lunati, Hank, and a host of others.

-Frank (check out Scott Schafiroffs 472 ci small block chebby, crate motor :)

Thanks Frank, I didn't think they were doing those crazy stroke combo's back then. Out of all the racing I did on the track/street back in the late 60s and early 70s, I never heard of a 369ci. I guess us Midwestern racers were more main stream on our selection of cubic inches...LOL!

I liked the 302 and 377ci myself, they were some high rev'in motors back then and of course still are. I'd crank my modified 69 302 Z28 to 8k with no problem. I did miss a shift one time and the Sun tach went to 10k on a 8k missed shift. I didn't damage the motor, but I did straight out and throw almost all the blades on the alternator off the pulley and into the hood of the car...Ouch! Nice little dents from under the hood...that sucked. Also had a ton of fun with a 377 stroker in a 65 chevelle... :thumbs

65 chevelle?

=perk-

Yanno .. I had a '64 Chevelle, my last 4-gear project car -evil grin-

I stuffed an L-88 into it, w/LS-6 heads, tunnel-rammed. Heads were angle shaved, compression was 13:1 or so usin copper head gaskets.

I swear when I got on it .. it felt like I spent more time shifting than the car spent windin thru a gear.. close ratio muncie gave way (literally) to a cast iron T-10 .. also close ratio.

I put coil springs in front out of a 396 chebby station wagon, car sat level, most folks swore it was a small block 'cause big blocks don't rev that fast, yanno? -LOL-

Ima have to find the pictures of it .. I hung cadillac mufflers on it, a J.C. Whitney wing on the trunk, big red bus stop lights on the rear shelf, blue lights in the wheel wells, tinted the windows blue, had a cracked 'Grumpy Lump' scoop on the hood, all in the effort to mislead folks about how serious the drivetrain really was ;)

I could yank the front wheels off the ground in 2nd at 35mph just by hangin at 4500 rpm, lettin the Hayes clutch out smoothly while gettin on the gas.. useda scare the *crap* outta wannabe's on Speedway Blvd there in Tucson ;)

Cam was a General Kinetics grind .. .617 lift, 332 duration.

She *rocked* till 7600rpm (peak hp) .. peak torque was at 6600 rpm, so close ratio tranny really worked well .. I dusted the A&W Rootbeer IHRA Vette one night out on Mount Lemmon highway long ago :)

Car was scary fast :)

-Frank

You're starting to scare me Frank...LOL! When does the vette get some goodies? Your car is beggin' for that procharger and other GO FAST items. :thumbs:burnout

well .. I have been gettin to know the Vette a bit since we got it last December.

It's a heck of a car .. but .. there are some things already that I think I can improve on a bit.

Sticky tires .. need some ;)

I'm thinkin my first big peice will be a 3500 converter and 3.73's in the back. Prolly next summer for that.

Then I'd like to build a 427 LS-1 ..when it's done, just swap it in an tune the electronics. Nothing real crazy .. smog legal an such with some decent heads and a nice blower cam.

..for the Blower.

..from Blower Drive Service :)

-evil grin-

-Frank (then again .. I may just keep it as is and get a non-Z-51 to turn into a drag car)

Was there from 6 to 7.30 and only saw 3 other vettes (Jay, Glenn, and ? in a red c6). Lots of other oldies, no McDonalds though. Might be hard to keep this show going.

I didn't see you there unless you parked somewhere else. There were some people from a pizza place handing out FREE pizza if you wanted it as well. There is also a hamburger place right there, but a bit overpriced if you ask me. I thought about going, but I'm going to Firebird instead Friday night.

I'm planning to head over there tonight. I haven't met any of you personally yet cause my '69 is still in pieces (frame and body still separated). I will be driving my '67 C-10 pickup tonight, so if you see me please say hello. Thanks, Tom

DSC03053.jpg