Windows Vista

Bigfoot

Just wait until you're ready to upgrade the whole PC - then buy a Mac. You can run Mac OSX and/or Microcrap OS.

IM a little annoyed by the Microcrap statment(dont fret, not personaly :D).

I respect Mac for what it is. But I offer a real world stat.

Current market share of Operating systems

Windows XP 805 80.18%

Windows Media Center 102 10.16%

MacOS X 29 2.89%

Windows 2000 26 2.59%

Windows ME 15 1.49%

Windows Vista 12 1.20%

Windows 98 8 0.80%

Linux 3 0.30%

If MAC is so great, why only 2.89%?

Simple. The Business world runs on Microsoft.

2 cts

cheers

chad

That doesn't make Microsoft better - only proves that folks like to run with the lemmings.

All they have been doing is copying OSX for the last few years and they can't even get that right.

Seems like we've gotten a little sidetracked into an age old argument over Mac VS MS. I can watch Apple commercials if I want to see that. :toetap

Back to our regularly scheduled topic MS Vista :thumbs

Guest 1FASTC4

Stay away from Vista as long as you can. It's junk and gobbles resources like mad. MS is going to support XP for several more years.... stay w/ XP.

I have to disagree. Been running it a week now and it's very stable. No issues, can run several things all at once...no crashes...and it's got a lot of useless gadgets that I just love. :thumbs:lol

It even communicates with my other PC running my "unoffical" XP still. That one is too old to update to Vista...it's not a 64bit processor, but that's fine...that's the wife and kids PC anyway. :smilelol

Umm it gobbles up tons of resources and is very problematic for much software. Not sure what there is to disagree with.... it's a fact.

OTOH, if you like it and it works for you... :thumbs

It may "gobble" resources if you're running an old machine but...I have 1 GB of RAM, NVIDIA G-Force 6500 video card, AMD Athalon 64 3500+ processor. I generally have upwards of 3 to 6 windows open at any given time when I'm on the machine and it runs smooth as silk. So I don't see how the "gobbling" of resources is such an issue.

Guest 1FASTC4
It may "gobble" resources if you're running an old machine but...I have 1 GB of RAM, NVIDIA G-Force 6500 video card, AMD Athalon 64 3500+ processor. I generally have upwards of 3 to 6 windows open at any given time when I'm on the machine and it runs smooth as silk. So I don't see how the "gobbling" of resources is such an issue.

Programs run slower on Vista than they do on XP, regardless of the machine. Some people find this objectionable. Things like remote executibles are a nightmare to use. Many programs simply won't run because there are DRM issues, no ASIO support, none of the audiophile sound cards work... Creative Labs is having real problems with it. None of the Direct X sound filter plugins work for high end audio packages.

OTOH, if your windows are merely stuff like IE,... forums etc... you really won't have any problems.

Running anything that is sound/graphics intensive will give you problems. If you're not a gamer, this may not bother you. :)

Programs run slower on Vista than they do on XP, regardless of the machine. Some people find this objectionable. Things like remote executibles are a nightmare to use. Many programs simply won't run because there are DRM issues, no ASIO support, none of the audiophile sound cards work... Creative Labs is having real problems with it. None of the Direct X sound filter plugins work for high end audio packages.

OTOH, if your windows are merely stuff like IE,... forums etc... you really won't have any problems.

Running anything that is sound/graphics intensive will give you problems. If you're not a gamer, this may not bother you. :)

I am not into gaming really anymore. I use it mostly as a PC, not game machine. I have not seen any slow downs on any programs I run...mostly IE, poker, and MS office. So that may be why I have ZERO issues with my install. :thumbs