Windows Vista

Bigfoot

Just installed Windows Vista on the PC. Very impressive so far. It's gonna take some getting used to though...but I likey so far. :thumbs Everything looks so different and cool at the same time. Who would have thunk it. :lol

Installed without a single glitch over my...um old, unofficial XP Pro version.

Robert and Elizabeth
Just installed Windows Vista on the PC. Very impressive so far. It's gonna take some getting used to though...but I likey so far. :thumbs Everything looks so different and cool at the same time. Who would have thunk it. :lol

Installed without a single glitch over my...um old, unofficial XP Pro version.

Sean, how much did it put you back $$? How long did it take to install? I am considering it, but am still looking for people who have it and asking their opinions. You know, shopping around other's experiences with it. My brother who is a computer guy at Wells Fargo is not so happy with it. He started talking some mumbo jumbo computer language stuff about it and I did not understand what he was trying to get across to me. What exactly is Windows Vista supposed to help people out with that is better than XP? Is it more for business or personal?

Elizabeth

I belong to a Homeland Security Networking Group through the FBI. We met about a week ago to hear an expert on IT security speak. He said Vista isn't as secure as XP is and to make his point he asked if anyone was using it at their employer or knew of any major corporation using it and he got a big fat 0 from the audience. The audience was made up of Corporate Security and IT Security for every major company in the Phx. Metro area. Just my :2cents

I did a bit of looking around...seems the going rate is $240ish for "Home Premium" version.

I really do like the look of everything so far. Just taking a little while finding stuff... :lol

For a business, there are probably a lot of variables that need to get worked out to get it to mesh with their old software that did not get upgraded.

For home, I doubt you'll have any issues.

Install was easy and seemless. I put the DVD in, waited for it to get rolling, then went and played XBOX with the kids, but I'd say it was less than an hour for the OS. Now the rest of my programs is another story. As I did not have an "official" copy of my old OS, I had to do a complete install, which of course blanked all my old programs. :lol

Robert and Elizabeth
I belong to a Homeland Security Networking Group through the FBI. We met about a week ago to hear an expert on IT security speak. He said Vista isn't as secure as XP is and to make his point he asked if anyone was using it at their employer or knew of any major corporation using it and he got a big fat 0 from the audience. The audience was made up of Corporate Security and IT Security for every major company in the Phx. Metro area. Just my :2cents

Thanks Eddie, your :2cents just made my mind up for me. Robert just told me that my brother was telling me that Windows Vista is not as fast as XP and that there were security problems with it. He is not a happy camper with it because Wells Fargo is wanting to upgrade to it, you know the newer=better syndrome. My brother likes to throw techincal terminology about computers out in his conversations with me and I always get lost. I guess Robert went up to him afterwards and asked him to explain it again to him in English! :lol

Robert and Elizabeth
As I did not have an "official" copy of my old OS, I had to do a complete install, which of course blanked all my old programs. :lol

I had to reinstall everything when my hard drive went bad and I lost almost everyting. Ouch, that takes some time to do. Thank goodness my brother was able to save the important files and I learned a very valuable lesson....to always back up your info on a thumb drive or a disc! :yesnod

Everyone has their own opinion on each version of Windows and Microsoft and computers in general.

Here is mine...

Anything that has a human touching it is flawed. If you are going to have humans using it...eventually the geico caveman in one of us will rear his/her ugly head and screw it up.

That aside and back to reality...

It's the same game with Windows as it is with Microsoft Office. There will ALWAYS be a new version coming out or a new one they are working on. Either way guess what comes on a new PC?

Call Dell or Gateway and see if you can get Windows 98 on a new pc....

A cold fact of reality with computers is that this stuff is always changing and will never stop changing.

I don't have a ton of experience with Vista, but I'm using as I type and it isn't too bad.

Drop me a PM if ya need a hand.

-Don

Guest Kens06
Dell stoped shipping XP on new computers as of 3 months ago. Vista Only

DUH!!

What was Mike gonna ship with, Windows for Workgroups??

Actually, Vista basic is as usefull as WfW!!

$189 for OEM Ultimate disk from Fry's!!

Copying Mac X pretty page format isn't going to make it!!

Every magazine says, there is NO reason to change unless you have the hardware to do it and have to have the latest!!

Ken

I'm having zero issues with the Vista and I like it quite a lot so far.

Main reason I switched is the XP version I have is "unofficial" and was unable to upgrade to SP2. I was having issues with some things due to this and said F it and lets get a "legal" OS so at least I'll have some support to go along with it.

All in all I am very happy with it. Comes with a lot of neat little gadgets that have no use but are cool as hell. :thumbs

It's all good Don, but thanks for the offer of help. If I run into something unusual I'll definitely keep you in mind. :thumbs

Speaking of new software, anyone running the new Office Pro 2007? What do you think of it? At first, I thought it was kind of neat, that is until I had to figure out how to use normal everyday functions within Excel and Access and find things...where did they put the feature now...WTF? :crazy:banghead

Speaking of new software, anyone running the new Office Pro 2007? What do you think of it? At first, I thought it was kind of neat, that is until I had to figure out how to use normal everyday functions within Excel and Access and find things...where did they put the feature now...WTF? :crazy:banghead

:smilelol no, not Office 2007, but I know what you mean about finding things. But it's all cool

Office is one I don't think I'll spend the money on. I use it quite often, but never had any issues; so I think I'll stay with my XP version. :thumbs

XP is super stable on my computer see no need to upgrade at the moment. Maybe in a year or two when certain hardware/programs will only run on vista. Vista also takes more resource to run as would be expected, which mean unless I upgrade my hardware, I'd have less horsepower to run my games.

As for office suite here's a free-be that works well with MS office.

Open Office

XP is super stable on my computer see no need to upgrade at the moment. Maybe in a year or two when certain hardware/programs will only run on vista. Vista also takes more resource to run as would be expected, which mean unless I upgrade my hardware, I'd have less horsepower to run my games.

Open Office

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagevie...mp;keyword1=hup

this thread shows how to procure office 2007 for $20 - LEGALLY - that's my price right there!!!!

I got Office Pro 2007 from M$ for free for just watching some of their developer videos online along with a few other things, the one I got is fully legit and registerable which was about the only good thing M$ as ever done for me. :clap But $20 bucks is a very nice price indeed.

Open Office

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messagevie...mp;keyword1=hup

this thread shows how to procure office 2007 for $20 - LEGALLY - that's my price right there!!!!

Good call Chris. We can do this with the Air Force. :thumbs

Just wait until you're ready to upgrade the whole PC - then buy a Mac. You can run Mac OSX and/or Microcrap OS.

I'm not forking out the money for a Mac, that's for sure.

Just wait until you're ready to upgrade the whole PC - then buy a Mac. You can run Mac OSX and/or Microcrap OS.

IM a little annoyed by the Microcrap statment(dont fret, not personaly :D).

I respect Mac for what it is. But I offer a real world stat.

Current market share of Operating systems

Windows XP 805 80.18%

Windows Media Center 102 10.16%

MacOS X 29 2.89%

Windows 2000 26 2.59%

Windows ME 15 1.49%

Windows Vista 12 1.20%

Windows 98 8 0.80%

Linux 3 0.30%

If MAC is so great, why only 2.89%?

Simple. The Business world runs on Microsoft.

2 cts

cheers

chad

Guest 1FASTC4

Stay away from Vista as long as you can. It's junk and gobbles resources like mad. MS is going to support XP for several more years.... stay w/ XP.

Stay away from Vista as long as you can. It's junk and gobbles resources like mad. MS is going to support XP for several more years.... stay w/ XP.

I have to disagree. Been running it a week now and it's very stable. No issues, can run several things all at once...no crashes...and it's got a lot of useless gadgets that I just love. :thumbs:lol

It even communicates with my other PC running my "unoffical" XP still. That one is too old to update to Vista...it's not a 64bit processor, but that's fine...that's the wife and kids PC anyway. :smilelol

I don't care how stable it is or how many gadgets it comes with. I work fraud for a living and when a renowned IT Security guy tells me it isn't as secure as XP I'm not going for it. We are experiencing a rash of keylogger fraud cases recently and I don't care to be a victim. We do almost 100% of our banking online and I don't want any of my accounts drained. Hate to be an alarmest but I deal with it daily.

I don't care how stable it is or how many gadgets it comes with. I work fraud for a living and when a renowned IT Security guy tells me it isn't as secure as XP I'm not going for it. We are experiencing a rash of keylogger fraud cases recently and I don't care to be a victim. We do almost 100% of our banking online and I don't want any of my accounts drained. Hate to be an alarmest but I deal with it daily.

oh it gets better......

I just came from an Microsoft Exchange 2007 event (its a very big deal).

SO If you need to perfrom email functions for a business the ONLY verson you can get is Exchange 2007.

Guess what No one makes any Anti VIrus ,Anti SPAM or Backup software that is comaptable with Exchange 2007.

grrr....

ok Im just bitching....