Emissions testing BS in AZ

Guest 71ls5

:D

I just came back from MVD with my new Tag. Nope, no emissions test required. All I had to show was my insurance policy. I was prepared to argue, get ticked off and such.

Took me 15 minutes in & out.

Hey Jay, that is way cool that it went smoothly. I have been anticipating the same - a big argument and a hissy fit. I'm glad it did not go that way. Did you happen to ask for next year - what about the folks that don't want to spend the time at the DMV? Are they accepting a copy of the policy with the renewal paperwork? Dying to know....

M~

Checked out the Arizona Department of Environmential Quality and the bill will be effective as of April 30, 2007. Cars in Phoenix and Tucson registered and having collector car insurance will be exzempt from emission testing. Also motorcycles in Tucson...???

So now it seems that I can get either headers and true duals or go with Hooker sidepipes on my '81 as long as I carry collectors car insurance.

Now, never having collector car insurance before...what are the differences??

Thanks,

Dean

With Collector Car Insurance you cannot drive your car to work or leave it in a parking lot unattended (restaurant, mall, doctor's office, etc).

I find it useless because I like to drive my car to work occasionally, if something ever happened they would surely deny the claim.

Checked out the Arizona Department of Environmential Quality and the bill will be effective as of April 30, 2007. Cars in Phoenix and Tucson registered and having collector car insurance will be exzempt from emission testing. Also motorcycles in Tucson...???

So now it seems that I can get either headers and true duals or go with Hooker sidepipes on my '81 as long as I carry collectors car insurance.

Now, never having collector car insurance before...what are the differences??

Thanks,

Dean

Everyone has different experiences with the collector insurance. Mine has been very good about letting me drive to work, etc. And I do actually park it unattended on occassion. I will give the caveat that when Andrew drives to work, it can always be reflected as a repair run-a little harder to prove when I drive it to work.

The main difference across the board, is that all require the car to be garaged at night in a locked garage and the vehicle has to be in good shape. Some have an actual mileage limit, while others have a 'soft' limit, which is to say that if you keep mileage down and mostly go to sanctioned events, then you're okay.

You would have to evaluate your driving habits and decide if you think you fit in those parameters. Try their websites also for more info. Hagerty is most common, followed by condon & skelly, and one other that isn't coming to mind right now....

Good luck

M~

I had three of them including Hagerty, tell me that driving to work is specifically forbidden so I gave up.

That's exactly the same reason I couldn't get Hagerty and ended up paying regular insurance through State Farm...

:D

I just came back from MVD with my new Tag. Nope, no emissions test required. All I had to show was my insurance policy. I was prepared to argue, get ticked off and such.

Took me 15 minutes in & out.

From what I read on the AZ Dept of Environmental Quality web site; a car just needs to have collector's car insurance coverage to be ezempt from emissions testing for Tucson and Phoenix.

Arix CE do you have collector's plate or registeration?

I sure hope that all I need to do is get collector's car insurance and then I can put that set of side pipes on my '81......

Dean

post-369-1177509605.jpg

My policy reads

Classic vehicle means a motor vehicle of unique or rare design and of limited production that is an object of curiosity and :

1. Is maintained primarily for use in car club activities, exhibitions, parades, other functions of public interest or for private collection; and

2. Is used only infrequently for other purposes.

"Regular use vehicle" means a motor vehicle which is used for regular driving to work, school, shopping, errand or for general transportation and is not an "antique vehicle" or "classic vehicle"

I don't drive it to work. Sometimes a drive it past my Tempe office while on my way to "some" event. I sometimes stop and go in.:D

This is my daily driver. Most of my office trips are to Casa Grande.

post-369-1177511182.jpg

I'm thinking that the insurance companies have tightened their policies due to the high likelihood of people (who would abuse the mileage limits, etc) trying to jump on this particular bandwagon. Just a thought...

M~

i am an agent and this is our Rules:

If personal vehicle is…

Then…

at least 25 years old, been maintained or restored, primarily used in exhibitions, parades, and other functions of public interest,

assembled, and operable,

vehicle is eligible for antique rate class.

IF under 25 years old, used regularly for personal use, driven to work,

used in business, has performance modifications,

not assembled, or not operable,

vehicle is not eligible for the antique rate class.

That takes mine out of the equation.... i drive it!

I also failed emissions yesterday but only hydrocarbons.....small adjustment and I should be clear.