Last minute emmisions question.

Phoenix FRC

Phoenix FRC

When you get the emmisions checked and those ADEQ people open the hood, are they looking for something?

its a 1998, I know OBDII cars they just scan for codes but what are they looking for under the hood.

I need to register my Pontiac this week and it doesn't have an EGR. I removed that sucka two years ago.

Also two years ago they dyno'd the car, I had codes in my history so I had to dyno test the car legit, will they keep a record and make me do it again? just because its the same vin?

Should I install one and try to find a GM connector so they can see it sitting on the top rear of the engine?

If I get caught and have to dyno the car legit I'll have to swap out my Lower intake and blower because the EGR hole was filled in with aluminum during the porting and polishing of my current blower. So FWIW, that would suck.

I ask because I had my wife's van tested two weeks ago and they lifted the hood and I can't imagine why.

When is the busiest time to go so they don't want to spend any time on this car?

Thanks,

I don't know if they are looking for EGR valves, but I know the "look" for O2 sensors some times. On our cars you can see the front 2 on the exhuast manifolds with the hood open.

If they ask just point to something that looks like an EGR valve and tell them you had the car modded. :lol They are minimum wage workers...they won't know the diff and prolly don't care.

Well, I just went and had my emissions done. They had me pop the hood, but never even opened if that helps.

Phoenix FRC
Well, I just went and had my emissions done. They had me pop the hood, but never even opened if that helps.

:lol Amazing... :lol

I am doing my Pontiac and you can see two sensors if you look, one is on the header and the other one under the car is my wideband.. :lol but they don't know right.. :huh

I'm going to install an EGR solenoid because its so painfully obvious if its on the top of the motor then I ordered a wire harness connector so I can snap it on the top of the EGR.. then i'll zip-tie a dirty wire loom over the wires and burry it behind the motor so they can't tell what's going on.

Wish me luck and thanks for the input.

Guest UVETTYA
Wish me luck and thanks for the input.

:huh:lol:lol:lol Good luck and I hope it's over-kill Tom. Let us know how it goes.

Like someone else said, these guys only know what they've been taught. My GP passed with flying colors. It's not as heavily modded as yours but certainly wouldn't pass in Californicatia.

Phoenix FRC

So i'm driving the GTP today and accidentally have the shifter in perf shift, this is my track setting.. "Not for street use" and the TCC doesn't shift in time because at part throttle it doesn't have enough line pressure.

Anyway, I set a code for Long shift and TCC stuck on. Naturally I reset the code and its all fine but I just put two codes in my PCM history two days before I'm trying to get thru ADEQ. Damn..

Does anyone know, do they give a rat's-ass if its emmisions related or not?

BTW, my new slicks are in and while I'm at the tire store their alignment guy looks at my car for free and tells me why I have alignment issues, my lower control arm bushings are spent, on the passenger side the rear bushing is so worn that the wheel assembly will move around when I shift from FWD to reverse.

Does anyone know... are those available in poly?

All that drag racing sure ware out the front parts huh...

No, they will not care if the codes that are thrown are not emissions related. For the most part, they are just looking for O2 codes or anything else that can cause higher polutants. Besides that, I had codes throwing for lean condition until about 2 weeks ago. I cleared them out on the DIC, but I'm sure they were still buried in history somewhere in that PCM, but it did not affect my test.

Your traction codes mean nothing to them.

Yes, there are polyurathane bushings made for our cars. I have a website at home..I think that, but just do a google search and I'm sure you will find them pretty easy. I want some for my car, as the ones on there now like to "squeak" going over speed bumps. :lol

Over all you should be fine on test day. :thumbs IMHO

Guest UVETTYA
So i'm driving the GTP today and accidentally have the shifter in perf shift, this is my track setting.. "Not for street use" and the TCC doesn't shift in time because at part throttle it doesn't have enough line pressure.

Anyway, I set a code for Long shift and TCC stuck on. Naturally I reset the code and its all fine but I just put two codes in my PCM history two days before I'm trying to get thru ADEQ. Damn..

Does anyone know, do they give a rat's-ass if its emmisions related or not?

BTW, my new slicks are in and while I'm at the tire store their alignment guy looks at my car for free and tells me why I have alignment issues, my lower control arm bushings are spent, on the passenger side the rear bushing is so worn that the wheel assembly will move around when I shift from FWD to reverse.

Does anyone know... are those available in poly?

All that drag racing sure ware out the front parts huh...

Tom, I don't know if non emission related codes will cause you to fail, and I don't know if you can get poly bushings for the GP, but I do have the same OBDII reader that AutoZone sells and it will clear the history codes as far as I know. They'll clear them for you for free at any AutoZone. Just ask.

My 01 GP didn't come with Perf Shift but I bought a shifter knob with the switch and ran a wire to the PCM and it works great! :lol I'm always bumping the switch and accidentally putting it in perf mode too, but I can tell right away when I do that because the shifts get a LOT firmer.

Phoenix FRC
My 01 GP didn't come with Perf Shift but I bought a shifter knob with the switch and ran a wire to the PCM and it works great! :lol I'm always bumping the switch and accidentally putting it in perf mode too, but I can tell right away when I do that because the shifts get a LOT firmer.

Yep, gotta love that feature. :thumbs

I have my normal set slightly more aggressive, just enough that the wife doesn't cry about it and my performance mode is bang screetch, 0.9 second shift times, mega line pressure etc. :yesnod Good stuff.

it wa my bad, I didn't realize i left it on, at one point I caught myself clicking the button and I was on the freeway. Doh... :crazy

I wish my HP tuners would clear history. Actually, it might, I just never looked.

Guest UVETTYA
I wish my HP tuners would clear history. Actually, it might, I just never looked.

I would think HP tuners would clear history codes, but I don't know. Mike or Nic would.

Phoenix FRC

I would think HP tuners would clear history codes, but I don't know. Mike or Nic would.

I'll check tonight, of course it will reset but I don't know about history.

Phoenix FRC

Well, Today was the deadine so..

I installed an EGR valve physically that is,

the bracket,

the soleniod,

I put a wire harness connector on the egr and stuffed the wire into the wire harness behind the engine, no tube attached below mind you.

It had only been started once since I cleared the code.

It was bone dry so I grabbed my lawn mower gas can and put two gallons in it and headed to the ADEQ at 5:45PM.

Race tune in the car with pump gas.

No cat, loud as hell...

I pull in at 5:59PM and I'm the only person there so I pull straight onto the dyno.

Pop the hood he says so I pop the hood.

Leave the keys in it and step out of the car he says. so I do.

plug it in, turn key to on position,

test start-up routine = pass.

start engine - test = pass.

Please pull forward sir, that'll be $27.75 today sir.

Your vehicle passed sir, Have a nice day sir,

:thumbs

Phoenix FRC
Ha ha ha ha That's funny as hell but great news!! :lol

I guess your HP Tuners clears the history. :thumbs

Well, I was thinking either that or they don't care if the code is not emmisions related.

I was sweating it pretty bad because I'd have to change the lower intake manifold and th blower because my current blower doesn't have a hole for the egr gasses.

I was thinking i was going to have to route the egr gasses into the TB, I could pull that off if needed.

Thanks for the support thou, between this forum and the Grand Prix forum I scrounged enough information and opinions to decide to go for it. :yesnod

Later,