22 Conversion for AR's...

Donbecker

A few of you asked me to look into 22 conversions.

The word on the street is Bushmaster.

This doesn't mean the others suck, and it doesn't mean that the bushmaster conversion is the best.

I personally haven't tried it...but wait a couple of months and I'll let you know first hand. ;)

At $387...doesn't seem that bad.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/...an/az15846k.asp

They have another, but it is more expensive (does look like a sweet barrel though):

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/az15847k.asp

-Don

I know this might not be a popular attitude, but why would you want to do that? If you want to shoot .22 then buy a .22. You could get a great one for a lot less then $387 & it would accomplish the same thing. I don't buy into the theory of giving you more practice on your AR crap. The only way to practice on your AR is to use .223 or 5.56. That's like saying take a Toyota Corolla to a DE event to get more seat time even though you want to run a Vette :crazy . Just my :2cents

Jim

I know this might not be a popular attitude, but why would you want to do that? If you want to shoot .22 then buy a .22. You could get a great one for a lot less then $387 & it would accomplish the same thing. I don't buy into the theory of giving you more practice on your AR crap. The only way to practice on your AR is to use .223 or 5.56. That's like saying take a Toyota Corolla to a DE event to get more seat time even though you want to run a Vette :crazy . Just my :2cents

Jim

:agree back in the day we had to fire the M-16 with a .22 conversion in basic training. What a POS that was. :banghead

On top of that, there is no comparison for firing .22 and 5.56. May as well be comparing a heavy weight boxer to a feather weight.

if i've already got a .223, and plan on having several calibers to use on not as many lower receivers, this would be the way to do it.

i was the original one asking about the .22LR conversion - as i had no intention of practicing with it, i just want to plink with it - i'll practice with my .223.

the next "big bore" i'm thinking about is a .458 SOCOM AR - i just hear that factory loads are pretty expensive - but i guess this is kinda like a vette - you don't get into this hobby because it's cheap! :bang

if .458 isn't feasible, then i'll probably go .50 beuwolf (which they tell me is based in the .50 AE pistol round.

so a .22 would be a welcome addition to shooting such expensive rounds like .50 and/or .458!

not to mention, i have thousands of rounds for 22LR just no 22 to shoot them out of!

Jim

Jim,

Some like it because they are still able to use their AR but shoot cheaper 22's.

Personally myself I don't have any conversion kits for anything I have. "Caliber variety" was something I was born into. :D

I don't have any kids, but I could possibly see a young kid wanting to shoot his father's AR...maybe that would help?

I don't do any competition shooting, but there probably is some stuff that is limited to 22 LR only...maybe a conversion is a way to use an AR in something like that.

"The only way to practice on your AR is to use .223 or 5.56."

You are aware of the large range of calibers that AR-type weapons are manufactured in, yes?

Jim

Jim,

Some like it because they are still able to use their AR but shoot cheaper 22's.

Personally myself I don't have any conversion kits for anything I have. "Caliber variety" was something I was born into. :D

I don't have any kids, but I could possibly see a young kid wanting to shoot his father's AR...maybe that would help?

I don't do any competition shooting, but there probably is some stuff that is limited to 22 LR only...maybe a conversion is a way to use an AR in something like that.

"The only way to practice on your AR is to use .223 or 5.56."

You are aware of the large range of calibers that AR-type weapons are manufactured in, yes?

Yeah, I used to be a sales person for an AR manufacturer here in town. I've shot most brands with numerous calibers. The only enjoyment I ever got out of shooting an AR type weapon was with the NATO rounds. Otherwise I find it's like loading a 357 Magnum w/ .38 rounds. As TOGO said, you don't get into shooting because it's an inexpensive hobby. Most get into it for the slam against the shoulder, knock you on your butt feeling. If it were about anything else, everybody would buy competition .22 which feel like your shooting a rubberband from your pointer finger :lol:lol

Jim

Myself, I'll probably have an AR in the next couple months...depending on how much I end up shooting it I may get a 22 conversion for it.

If we get a plinking session together everyone will be welcome to try it out.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Ciener 22 conversion unit and 6 30 round Black Dog mags for it and just got back from the range, All I can say is WHAT A BLAST!!! Shot 600 rounds for about 13 bucks. Very accurate, it was almost dead on with the scope and red dot settings for the 223. Hardly moves which made for some nice 30 round bursts. Is it the same as the 223? No, but a lot of fun for the money and when I was through shooting the 22s I ripped off a 30 mag of 223s just for fun. Conversion takes 15 seconds...about the same time as pulling another gun out of its case. I love it. Also picked up a LULA speed loader for the 223....best 25 bucks I ever spent. Wish we could go out plinking :banghead . Robert :burnout

I just noticed that this is my 800th post, :thumbs

I bought the Ciener 22 conversion unit and 6 30 round Black Dog mags for it and just got back from the range, All I can say is WHAT A BLAST!!! Shot 600 rounds for about 13 bucks. Very accurate, it was almost dead on with the scope and red dot settings for the 223. Hardly moves which made for some nice 30 round bursts. Is it the same as the 223? No, but a lot of fun for the money and when I was through shooting the 22s I ripped off a 30 mag of 223s just for fun. Conversion takes 15 seconds...about the same time as pulling another gun out of its case. I love it. Also picked up a LULA speed loader for the 223....best 25 bucks I ever spent. Wish we could go out plinking :banghead . Robert :burnout

I just noticed that this is my 800th post, :thumbs

more details, more details!!!!!

i was considering picking up an AK-47 replica in .22LR for about $190 - but more details about your kit would be nice!

post-14-1177820467.jpg

92ZR1Wannabe

I would suggest a plain ol Ruger 10/22. Cheap , nice rifle, and can be modified in ANY which way you want. (Right down to 30rd+ mags , bull barrels , trigger kits, ect ect)

O and did i mention that they are less then 200 bucks at most places.

I would suggest a plain ol Ruger 10/22. Cheap , nice rifle, and can be modified in ANY which way you want. (Right down to 30rd+ mags , bull barrels , trigger kits, ect ect)

Either way works. This way I have a tricked out 223 and a tricked out 22 all in the same gun. One gun bag and one ammo bag with the conversion bolt and I have two guns. :thumbs Robert :burnout

P.S. 280 bucks for the 22 conv. and six 30 round mags. Scope and red dot work fine with both.

92ZR1Wannabe

Either way works. This way I have a tricked out 223 and a tricked out 22 all in the same gun. One gun bag and one ammo bag with the conversion bolt and I have two guns. :thumbs Robert :burnout

P.S. 280 bucks for the 22 conv. and six 30 round mags. Scope and red dot work fine with both.

I must just think backwards. I would rather shoot one rifle , Set it down and pick up the plinker and do nothing but have to chamber a round and go to plinking.

Guess its just a matter of preference though.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=282511 looks like it could be fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xti8XR6-99I Might also get some attention (Although probably not positive attention) :devil

I must just think backwards. I would rather shoot one rifle , Set it down and pick up the plinker and do nothing but have to chamber a round and go to plinking.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=282511 looks like it could be fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xti8XR6-99I Might also get some attention (Although probably not positive attention) :devil

But then you get into modding two guns instead of one...more money. Plus how many times do you switch back and forth from hi-power to plinking? I can switch in 15 seconds...almost as fast as uncasing the other gun. Any mods to one gets it for both. That auto unit is awesome, too bad ATF says that it is classifed as a machine gun and their not selling them anymore. Robert :burnout

But then you get into modding two guns instead of one...more money. Plus how many times do you switch back and forth from hi-power to plinking? I can switch in 15 seconds...almost as fast as uncasing the other gun. Any mods to one gets it for both.

true - including a suppresor :devil

i have heard much concern though shooting .22LR through a .223 barrel - i think it boils down to the twist rate of a .22 vs. the twist rate of the .223 - i think the .223 is 1 in 9 and a 22 or a 1 in 12 (don't quote me on that) which concerns me about possible barrel scoring from your plinking ammo.

and have also heard some concern about replacing parts if something should break - specifically the firing pin - which i have heard people are manufacturing their own replacements because they say you can't buy replacement parts.

but, keep me posted on the performance of your conversion - as i still think it'd be a fun conversion

Check out the info on AR15.com. All agree that there aren't any problems with the 22 in the 223 barrel. :thumbs Robert :burnout

Check out the info on AR15.com. All agree that there aren't any problems with the 22 in the 223 barrel. :thumbs Robert :burnout

where did you pick up your kit - i'd like to hvae a look!

Cheaperthendirt.com. 129 + shipping. Comes with one 10 round mag. They have the Black Dog 30 round mags for 30 a piece or 6 for 150. If you ever come to an ACE function again (J/K) I can bring it to show you, :leaving Robert :burnout

Cheaperthendirt.com. 129 + shipping. Comes with one 10 round mag. They have the Black Dog 30 round mags for 30 a piece or 6 for 150. If you ever come to an ACE function again (J/K) I can bring it to show you, :leaving Robert :burnout
:bang you're funny! :unsure

:bang you're funny! :unsure

Sorry Chris, I just noticed that I spelled it wrong...must have had a Mike or Chad moment. It's cheaperthandirt.com. Are you going to the lunch on sunday? I'll bring it just in case or if anyone else wants to see it. :thumbs Robert :burnout Oh, and by the way, before the comments start, the "it" is the 22 conversion unit so get your minds out of the gutter. :huh

>>>>>>>>>>i have heard much concern though shooting .22LR through a .223 barrel - i think it boils down to the twist rate of a .22 vs. the twist rate of the .223 - i think the .223 is 1 in 9 and a 22 or a 1 in 12 (don't quote me on that) which concerns me about possible barrel scoring from your plinking ammo.

and have also heard some concern about replacing parts if something should break - specifically the firing pin - which i have heard people are manufacturing their own replacements because they say you can't buy replacement parts.

but, keep me posted on the performance of your conversion - as i still think it'd be a fun conversion

>>>>>>>>>

It's not just the rate of twist in the Barrell but, more importantly, the diameter. .223 barrells are larger in dia. than a 22 rimfire barell, and they do not properly stabilize the bullet. It's really necessary to have a .22 rim fire barrel put on any AR conversion.

It's not true, that you can't get good practice shooting .22 insted of really shooting .223. I compete in Service Rifle matches that use ARs at 200yds to 600 yds and I find that I can get good pratice, in the basics of Marksmanship -- sight allignment, sight pricture, trigger control, natural point of aim, position, breathing, etc. shooting a rim fire .22 target rifle. Some of the most difficult competitions at the National Matches are shot with .22 rifles. Most good long range shooters have a background in small bore competition.

Hawkeye

I don't know about the diff in size, but it is pretty accurate especially for plinking and holes in targets. Putting a 22 barrel on would defeat the purpose of the conversion kit, which is to shoot either cal. whenever you want to. I don't shoot competiton so this definitely works for me. Robert :burnout