Need Tranny Rebuild Advise

Guest UVETTYA

Guest UVETTYA

My 3rd gear syncro is almost toast, so I need to rebuild this one and beef it up for drag racing, or buy a built one. It's a Z06 T-56

Any and all advise accepted. :thumbs

My 3rd gear syncro is almost toast, so I need to rebuild this one and beef it up for drag racing, or buy a built one. It's a Z06 T-56

Any and all advise accepted. :thumbs

Hummmm maybe one out of a RED one will work. :devil:thumbs

So sorry. :yesnod

who's the guy over on CF that builds them? i'd buy one from him if mine were going out - i forget his name - Glenn might know!

***EDIT***

Rodney - RPM Transmissions

Guest UVETTYA

Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

There are several builders out there who will do a turn around. I need to get something done soon. 3rd is my favorite gear. :huh

If I had a lift and someone to help who has done a tranny before, I'd rebuild it myself. I've done a lot of research and I can buy all the parts I need to bullet proof it to 700 hp for about $800. But, it's a major undertaking and I've never pulled or rebuilt a tranny on a C5 before so I'm prolly better off paying someone to do it professionally.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else?

There are several builders out there who will do a turn around. I need to get something done soon. 3rd is my favorite gear. :huh

If I had a lift and someone to help who has done a tranny before, I'd rebuild it myself. I've done a lot of research and I can buy all the parts I need to bullet proof it to 700 hp for about $800. But, it's a major undertaking and I've never pulled or rebuilt a tranny on a C5 before so I'm prolly better off paying someone to do it professionally.

I don't have any expertise, but I'd be willing to help. I like to learn, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and love to get my hands dirty. :bang:lol:thumbs

If you like to bang gears ... RPM is the way.. You can see what mine feels like at the next get together.

Guest UVETTYA
If you like to bang gears ... RPM is the way.. You can see what mine feels like at the next get together.

Ok,thanks. Actually I like those nice, clean, precision smooth shifts right at red line. The problem is those are rare, as is evidenced by the fact that I need a tranny rebuild. :lol I don't have a hard time with red line, it's that precision, smooth part that's hard. :yesnod

Just a suggestion Steve, but with the cash you are going to spend on a rebuild why not just go buy a new Tremec out of the box and bolt it in? I have little faith in rebuilds unless I do it myself and know how its been put back together.

Guest UVETTYA
Just a suggestion Steve, but with the cash you are going to spend on a rebuild why not just go buy a new Tremec out of the box and bolt it in? I have little faith in rebuilds unless I do it myself and know how its been put back together.

I hadn't thought of that. Might not be a bad idea. From what I've been reading, some claim the stock Corvette T56 is good to 700 HP. The built tranny's are supposed to have upgraded carbon syncros, bearings and micro polished gear sets. I wonder if all that stuff is worth it.

Maryloo says you are pretty smooooth!!! :lol:lol:lol

Well YEAH. :lol

Steve,

I'm planing on rebilding my tranny soon. I'd like to go through these guys www.t56rebuilds.com. They seem to have pretty good prices. My bigest problem is finding someone to remove and install the tranny without paying an arm and a leg. I'm also thinking about getting a new clutch too, so I might as well get it all done at once.

Tony

Guest UVETTYA
Steve,

I'm planing on rebilding my tranny soon. I'd like to go through these guys www.t56rebuilds.com. They seem to have pretty good prices. My bigest problem is finding someone to remove and install the tranny without paying an arm and a leg. I'm also thinking about getting a new clutch too, so I might as well get it all done at once.

Tony

I was looking at them as well as HERE and HERE

If I had a lift I'd put together a Corvette Sunday (or two) and we'd do both of ours. I could rebuild and bullet proof my tranny for about $800 if I did all the labor myself. I'm looking at nearly 4 grand if I pay someone to do it. :huh There are plenty of DIY threads with tips and tricks and lots of pics. I just don't have acess to a lift. :toetap

Guest AZ Power & Sound

We do rebuilds in house... I have a trans guy that completes them in a couple days as long as the parts are available.... hes done about 30 for me so far without a single one coming back, including one in my camaro that had over 600 rwhp :)

theres a lot I can tell you about transmissions and how much of the parts youre getting sold on are complete BS :)

BTW, GM rates the T56 MN6 to 400 ft lbs and the T56 M12 to 350 ft lbs.

Steve,

Tony

I was looking at them as well as HERE and HERE

If I had a lift I'd put together a Corvette Sunday (or two) and we'd do both of ours. I could rebuild and bullet proof my tranny for about $800 if I did all the labor myself. I'm looking at nearly 4 grand if I pay someone to do it. :huh There are plenty of DIY threads with tips and tricks and lots of pics. I just don't have acess to a lift. :toetap

sounds like a no brainer then - take the 4 grand you would spend elsewhere - buy a lift and you should have $800 left over to rebuild it yourself!

:leaving

sounds like a no brainer then - take the 4 grand you would spend elsewhere - buy a lift and you should have $800 left over to rebuild it yourself!

And if you don't have room for the lift in your garage I'd be a good ACE buddy and let you put it in mine :D

And if you don't have room for the lift in your garage I'd be a good ACE buddy and let you put it in mine :D

see - now that's what this forum is all about!!!! :leaving

Guest UVETTYA
We do rebuilds in house... I have a trans guy that completes them in a couple days as long as the parts are available.... hes done about 30 for me so far without a single one coming back, including one in my camaro that had over 600 rwhp :)

theres a lot I can tell you about transmissions and how much of the parts youre getting sold on are complete BS :)

Ok, so maybe we should talk. Here are some scenarios I'm looking at...

Core Transmission, New 1-2 Slider, New 3-4 Slider, New 5/6 Slider, New Reverse Slider, New Mainshaft, New 1-6 Gears (Depending on Core Condition), Carbon Fiber Synchros, 3-4 Billet Keys, New Mikronite Finishing on 1-4 Gear (Mikronite extends the life of the transmission by more than double), Mikronite Finishing on 1-2 Slider and 3-4 Slider, Steel 3-4 Fork, Bronze Fork Pads 1-4 forks, New Bearing and Labor.....$2250.00

Or, I can buy an RPM level 5 for $2195.

Or I can buy just the parts for.

Carbon Blocker Rings- $169

Billet 3-4 Keys- $75

Bronze 1-4 Fork Pads- $60

Steel 3-4 Fork - $39

1/2 Slider Assembly - $115

3/4 Slider Assembly- $115

New style 2nd Gear- $129

Snap Ring Kit- $51

If I'm getting sold on parts, how much of this do you think I don't need? My 3rd gear syncro is on it's way out, but I'd like to bullet proof the tranny while I'm in there.

Steve

Guest UVETTYA

You guys are SUCH great friends! :lol

:P

Ok, so maybe we should talk. Here are some scenarios I'm looking at...

Core Transmission, New 1-2 Slider, New 3-4 Slider, New 5/6 Slider, New Reverse Slider, New Mainshaft, New 1-6 Gears (Depending on Core Condition), Carbon Fiber Synchros, 3-4 Billet Keys, New Mikronite Finishing on 1-4 Gear (Mikronite extends the life of the transmission by more than double), Mikronite Finishing on 1-2 Slider and 3-4 Slider, Steel 3-4 Fork, Bronze Fork Pads 1-4 forks, New Bearing and Labor.....$2250.00

Or, I can buy an RPM level 5 for $2195.

Or I can buy just the parts for.

Carbon Blocker Rings- $169

Billet 3-4 Keys- $75

Bronze 1-4 Fork Pads- $60

Steel 3-4 Fork - $39

1/2 Slider Assembly - $115

3/4 Slider Assembly- $115

New style 2nd Gear- $129

Snap Ring Kit- $51

If I'm getting sold on parts, how much of this do you think I don't need? My 3rd gear syncro is on it's way out, but I'd like to bullet proof the tranny while I'm in there.

Steve

Steve,

I'm looking at going with www.t56rebuilds.com if I cant find someone local. I don't think I'm going with all of the upgrades that you are though. I'm looking at a package that will handle 650-750rwhp/rwtq. I might strap a 150 shot after this is all done:jive: I'm also looking at getting a new clutch while I'm at it. If you want, maybe we can get some kind of group deal if we both send our tranny's to the same place. I've heard nothing but good things about t56rebuilds. The only problem I have is someone to remove and install the tranny without charging an arm and a leg. I hear a tranny removal is pretty costly. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I have a road race event that I'm doing on the 30th. After that, I'll be ready to go. Let me know buddy.

Thanks,

Tony

Will you offer 24/7 access? :huh Robert :burnout

Will you offer 24/7 access? :huh Robert :burnout

Sure! It's not me you'd have to deal with, it'd be Mrs. Eddie :yesnod

If you are looking to drag race/ road race you cannot beat RPM. My car puts out over 900 RWHP and I dont have an issue.