Paint Detailing

Desertdawg

This is by no means the end all be all about how to detail your paint. There are 289 company's out there selling detail stuff, I like Meguiar's! It works for me, I started using it on my tricycle when Dad wasn't looking, It's all I have ever used.

Probably the best place to get your supplies locally is at www.auto detailing solutions, Rick Meyer is a guru, and the prices are about as good as it gets...

I prefer Meguiar's, but use what you want to use, just learn to use it correctly!

What follows here was mostly stolen from the Meguiars online forum, It's just a whole lot easier to copy and paste than it is to sit here and type for the next 3 hours...

Products Used

Smooth Surface Clay Kit

G-100a Orbital buffer

1 each W-7006 SOFTBUFF - Cutting Pad (For use with the the X4003 Gold Class Clear Microfiber Bonnets)

2 each W-8006 Soft Buff - Foam Polishing Pads (For use applying cleaner/polishes)

2 each W-9006 SOFTBUFF - Finishing Pad (For use applying NXT Tech Wax)

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut

Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax or similar

Supreme Shine Microfiber towels

These are the two main buffer pads you will be using, having more than two in your detail bag might be smart.

ALWAYS use a new or clean pad for different products

2 each W-8006 Soft Buff - Foam Polishing Pads (For use applying cleaner/polishes)

2 each W-9006 SOFTBUFF - Finishing Pad (For use applying NXT Tech Wax)

Auto Detailing Solutions has some great kits already put together for you.

auto detailing solutions Specials

Of course you can find the buffers on ebay for less, and then buy the pads and other products separate if you want.

So let's get started...

Get a bucket, or even better, two. Get a clean sponge. Not the gritty one from the garage floor, but a nice clean one. Fill the bucket with warm water and a wax-friendly car shampoo (dawn washing liquid and other cleaners can contain aggressive detergents, so don't be tempted to use it). Get a hose and clear small animals and children from the immediate area. You are the detailing daddy and nothing must distract you or get in your way.

First wash the car thoroughly. Pay special attention to loosening and removing any dirt particles from cracks and crevices to prevent these dirt particles from being introduced onto the surface during the polishing process.

Don't let water levels get too low or sponge from the bottom of the bucket - you're trying to avoid dirt particles getting onto your sponge and turning it into the Devil's own sand paper.

After washing and drying, inspect the surface both visually for below surface defects and with the palm of your clean hand for above surface defects.

If you feel any tiny little bumps still attached to the finish after washing, proceed to clay the paint to safely remove these contaminants.

How to Clay...

Use a Quik Detailer as a lubricant while claying a vehicle. Quik Detailer contains lubricating agents that safely enable the clay bar to glide across the surface of your paint, removing bonding contaminants with the least elbow grease. Spray an area with the detailer, then flatten out a palm sized piece of clay. rub it across the paint using the detailer to keep it gliding smooth. After claying each panel, wipe the panel down with a quick detailer to remove any residue and move on to the next section...

Next you may want to use some blue painters tape to cover any trim that you want to protect from splatter, it will save you some time later, and help you to keep your trim looking nice.

Using Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut to Remove Serious Below Surface Defects such as deep swirls, scratches and etchings in the paint

This step would be for car finishes that have been neglected and/or abused. In most cases you would want to first do a Test Spot using M205 Ultra Finishing Polish and then check your results. If M205 Ultra Finishing Polish wasn't aggressive enough then you would try something more aggressive and this would be Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut .

Applying M105 Ultra Cut with the G-100

W-8006 Soft Buff pad

Speed Setting - 5.0

Arm Speed - Slow Arm Speed

Pressure - 15 to 20 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher

Work Area - Work a small area at a time, about 1 foot square

Overlapping motions - Overlap each pass by 50%, move the polisher using different patterns

Time - Work the product until the diminishing abrasives have broken down, but you haven't gone completely to a dry buff.

Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working

When using the G100 Dual Action Polisher to remove defects, (This is different then merely applying a polish or a wax because you're trying to remove paint), you need to use a slow arm speed, overlap you passes by 50% and apply between 15 pounds and 20 pounds of pressure onto the head of the polisher.

Move the polisher in different directions

You also want to go in at least two different directions, for example, from where you're standing, side to side, then front to back. You can also move the polisher in a kitty/corner fashion for complete, thorough and uniform cleaning action.

Only work a small area at a time

This will vary according to the shape, curve or body line of the panel you are polishing but for example on a large flat panel, you want to stay around a 12" to 18" squared area. The point being, don't try to work to large of an area all at once or you won't remove the defects equally everywhere.

Overlap your sections

When you move on to a new section, overlap into the old section for a uniform end results.

If you're applying a pure polish, or a polish/wax or a pure wax, then you can polish larger areas at a time, use a faster arm speed, use less pressure and make fewer passes because when applying these types of products you're not trying to remove paint, merely do a good job of working the product in and leaving behind a thin even coating.

This does not apply when using a cleaner/wax like ColorX on neglected paint because in this situation you're again trying to remove paint.

The point of the cleaning step is to remove the defects. Because the G100's polishing action is gentle and therefore safe, it takes time to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove a defect, so concentrate hard at doing your best work when doing the cleaning step, don't skimp out during the step and try to rush it, your results will reflect that you didn't do a good job the first time.

Using M205 Ultra Finishing Polish to remove light or shallow below surface defects such as deep swirls, scratches and etchings in the paint

This step would be for car finishes that have are in pretty good shape except of light/shallow swirls, scratches and etchings.

In most cases you would want to first do a Test Spot using M205 Ultra Finishing Polish and then check your results. If M205 Ultra Finishing Polish wasn't aggressive enough then you would try something more aggressive and this would be Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut . Another option would be to apply a second application of M205 Ultra Finishing Polish and work it really well and check to see if this removed the defects instead of switching to the M105 Ultra Cut .

Applying M205 Ultra Finishing Polish is also excellent for re-polishing show cars to bring them back up to show car status. M205 Ultra Finishing Polish perfectly prepares any paint for application of your choice of wax.

Applying M205 Ultra Finishing Polish with the G-100

W-8006 Soft Buff pad

Speed Setting - 4.5 to 5.0

Arm Speed - Medium Arm Speed

Pressure - 15 to 20 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher

Work Area - Work a small area at a time, about 1 foot square

Time - Work the product until the diminishing abrasives have broken down, but you haven't gone completely to a dry buff.

Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working. M205 is rich in polishing oils a little bit goes a long ways

When attempting to remove light swirls and scratches from your car's finish, use between 15 and 20 pounds of pressure to the head of the polisher. After polishing at these more aggressive pressures, you can always lighten up and make a few cover-passes at 10 to 15 pounds of pressure.

For very light polishing, you need only apply between 10 and 15 pounds of pressure to the head of the polisher. For a little more aggressive cleaning action with the M80 Speed Glaze, increase your pressure to the 18, 19 and 20 pound range.

If you decide to re-polish any panels with a second application of the M205 Ultra Finishing Polish , be sure to first remove any leftover residue first before applying fresh product. This will insure the remaining residue will not adulterate or dilute the fresh product for best results.

After you've cleaned and polished your car's paint with either one-step process, (M205 Ultra Finishing Polish), or a two step process, (M105 Ultra Cut followed by M205 Ultra Finishing Polish), and have wiped off any and all residue left on the finish, you are now ready to apply your favorite wax.

In the below outline, we list Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax; you can however use any wax you like for this step.

Applying NXT Tech Wax with the G-100

W-9006 SOFTBUFF pad

Speed Setting - 3.0 to 4.0

Pressure - 5 to 10 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher. You want to lightly engage the foam pad with the surface, not just float over it. This means using a few more pounds of pressure than just the weight of the machine resting on the surface.

Work Area - You can work a much larger area when apply a wax if you have already previously cleaned and polished the finish with a cleaning and polishing step like those outlined above. For example you can apply wax to one half of the hood and then walk to the other side of the car and apply to the other half of the hood and continue to apply your wax like this as you work around the car. Apply wax to the entire car and then stop and wait for the wax to dry until it swipes clear.

Time - Work the product long enough to make 2 to 3 passes over each square inch of the finish then move on to a new section.

Amount of product - Don't overuse product, use enough to lay down a film in the area you are working. Thin coats are just as effective as thick coats plus they remove easier and use less product.

5 to 6 pounds of pressure for applying a wax after a dedicated cleaning and polish step, 9 to 11 pounds of pressure for applying a wax if you need a little cleaning power when you're applying the wax

Removing the dried wax by hand or machine

After allowing the coating of wax to dry until it swipes clear, you are now ready to remove the wax by hand using a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or a 100% cotton terry cloth towel. If you like however, you can also use your dual action polisher to remove the wax by using a microfiber bonnet over a clean dry pad.

Removing Polish or Wax with an Ultimate Bonnet on the G-100

W-7006 SOFTBUFF pad (Cutting Pad with a Microfiber Bonnet placed over it)

Speed Setting - 4.0 to 5.0

Pressure - 15 to 20 pounds of pressure on the head of the polisher.

Work Area - You can work panel by panel, for example, remove the wax from one half of the hood and then walk to the other side of the car and remove the wax from the other half of the hood. Repeat this to the entire car until all of the wax has been removed.

At this point you can call it quits or apply a second coat of wax.

Open_Garage_015.jpg

Of course the best way to learn is to attend one of our detailing days. Watch the events section for the next one...

I hope this helps, feel free to post your questions.

• 7 months later...

MEGUIAR'S OUTSHINES THE COMPETITION AT

2007 PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE

22 of 24 Best of Class Winners Choose Meguiar's Car Care Products

MONTEREY, Calif (August 29, 2007) – Meguiar's, Inc., the car care products company that boasts "show car perfect" results for real car guys, delivered on its promises at the 2007 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

More than 150 of the world’s most perfectly restored classic cars were subjected to the intense judging that sets the Pebble Beach Concours apart from all other car shows. After the awards ceremony, it was discovered that 22 of the 24 "Best of Class" winners had been detailed inside and out with Meguiar's.

"This is where we shine because our focus is on car guys who are fanatics about making their cars look perfect," said Meguiar's President/CEO Barry Meguiar. "At the same time, we also make our products simple and easy to use for those who simply want to impress their neighbors and friends."

See all of the winners here!!!

• 1 year later...
Desertdawg

Updated the first post with Meguiar's new products!

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut

Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish

The reviews of these two products have shown some killer results!!!

Now that I have a black vehicle. I'll have to get some polishing stuff...

I have a question about the electric polishers. I see they have a DeWalt and a Flex brand one. I thought most people preferred the Porter Cable one but I don't see it on the Auto Detail Solutions website. Which is the best one and where do I get an inclusive kit?

coconut girl

I have a question about the electric polishers. I see they have a DeWalt and a Flex brand one. I thought most people preferred the Porter Cable one but I don't see it on the Auto Detail Solutions website. Which is the best one and where do I get an inclusive kit?

I just bought the #2 package from ADS. I am pretty sure I saw somewhere on their site that the Meguiar's buffer is a Porter Cable with Meguir's name on it.

Anyway ours works great!

I just bought the #2 package from ADS. I am pretty sure I saw somewhere on their site that the Meguiar's buffer is a Porter Cable with Meguir's name on it.

Anyway ours works great!

Can someone confirm that the Meguires one is a rebranded Porter Cable? Thanks!

Desertdawg

Yes the Meg's polisher is a rebranded Porter Cable 7424, you can get either but the Megs has the balancer weight and a great warranty!

ADS sells the backing plate if you get the 7424.

google Porter Cable 7424

• 2 weeks later...
coconut girl

What is the best way to clean the soft buff pads after your done?

First off you should do a "quick clean" about 4 or 5 times during the buffing, more so with the M105 ultra cut.

To "quick clean" the pad use an old bath towel or other terry rag, hold it firmly against the pad and turn on the buffer for a minute, this will remove excess product and containamation so you don't add new swirls or marks in the next panel.

At the end of the day I take the pads inside to the kitchen sink (what Jammye doesn't know won't hurt her), with hot water and a little dishwashing soap let them soak for a few minutes the rinse and squeeze a bunch. I squeeze them between my palms like a pancake sort of rubbing the pad side to wring out the soap and product.

There was an old version pad that had a problem, the velcro backing had a tendency to delamanate from the foam after a few washings, I had a set of those pads and with this method they lasted me almost 2 years. The new pads are better but you just want to be careful about pulling it apart.

• 9 months later...

I will be doing an extensive review of both these products and posting here so if you can hold off on your purchase till then. You can also really see and feel the differance between the two if you come to one of my detailiing how to sessions. Both will be displayed and used.

What is the best way to clean the soft buff pads after your done?

I will be showing you a couple of different techniques that you can use when I make a post of how to's on this topic. Neverless, Dwayne is giving good sound advice and has a lot of knowledge in this area. As for the best way, I have the tool we use in the field to be able to clean your wool pads or any other buffing pad clean as a whistle and keeping them in new condition longer.