C5 Tranmission (6 -spd) Popping out of reverse

Mike70

Hello - My 99 (6-spd) is popping out of reverse on occasion. Also it's somewhat notchy going into second. This car has 32K on it. Who should I have take a look at it? Any thoughts on what this could be? Could it be the shifter or fluid? (I hope) Any advice appreciated.

Can't answer your question specifically cause I've always had automatics in the Vette. From my days of messing with manual trannies I would say it sounds like a linkage adjustment problem. Hopefully Mike/Chad from AZP&S will be able to be more specific to the Vette manual.

I hope this is not the case but you could have a chipped tooth, or broken off. In our race cars when that would happen it was usually a busted tooth. :D

Can't answer your question specifically cause I've always had automatics in the Vette. From my days of messing with manual trannies I would say it sounds like a linkage adjustment problem. Hopefully Mike/Chad from AZP&S will be able to be more specific to the Vette manual.

I appreciate the reply. I'd like to probably have someone look at it who knows what is normal and what isn't. Who would you all recommend for tranni issues?

I appreciate the reply. I'd like to probably have someone look at it who knows what is normal and what isn't. Who would you all recommend for tranni issues?

Mike or Chad at AZ Power and Sound. They are both active on this forum so hopefully they will jump in sometime in the next few hours. Check back tomorrow and I'll be they've replied.

I hope this is not the case but you could have a chipped tooth, or broken off. In our race cars when that would happen it was usually a busted tooth. :D

Damnit... I HATE dental work!

My tranny does this as well. I think it's the syncro. It won't be to bad to fix. I'm waiting till the 3-4 is toast and then I'm going to re-do the entie tranny to Viper spec. I hope this helps.

Tony

I agree with Z 0 Sick, If it's popping out of gear, it sound like a bad syncro. Have Mike look at it. (AZP&S)

Andrew

My tranny does this as well. I think it's the syncro. It won't be to bad to fix. I'm waiting till the 3-4 is toast and then I'm going to re-do the entie tranny to Viper spec. I hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks Tony. What's it going to run you to re-do it like that, any idea? Is that beefed up parts, or different ratios or what?

I beg to differ!!

If you can't get it into reverse without grinding or turning the car off. You have a syncro problem!!

If it pops out, the gear isn't fully engaged, so it's a linkage adjustment!

The tranny is in the back and a touch of looseness at the shifter can cause havoc!!

I've seen people not realizing the shifter is loose until the bolts come loose completely and the boot being the only thing keeping it from flying into the cargo compartment on a hard power shift!!

Should be an easy fix!!

Ken

I beg to differ!!

If you can't get it into reverse without grinding or turning the car off. You have a syncro problem!!

If it pops out, the gear isn't fully engaged, so it's a linkage adjustment!

The tranny is in the back and a touch of looseness at the shifter can cause havoc!!

I've seen people not realizing the shifter is loose until the bolts come loose completely and the boot being the only thing keeping it from flying into the cargo compartment on a hard power shift!!

Should be an easy fix!!

Ken

:thumbs:thumbs

I have the problem with first & reverse, I just have to be careful that's all.

I also have an aftermarket shifter, I don't know what brand, it was in the car when I bought it.

If it get worse for ay reason I'll adjust it but its not really a problem.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Hello - My 99 (6-spd) is popping out of reverse on occasion. Also it's somewhat notchy going into second. This car has 32K on it. Who should I have take a look at it? Any thoughts on what this could be? Could it be the shifter or fluid? (I hope) Any advice appreciated.

Bring it by so I can peak at it! Sounds like either the shift fork pads are going out, or you knocked a gear out of place