welcome vette63

Desertdawg

Hi Craig :howdy

Year of Corvette 1963

Color Back

Welcome to ACE!

Be sure to post some pictures of your black 63 vert.

Hi Craig :howdy

Year of Corvette 1963

Color Back

Welcome to ACE!

Be sure to post some pictures of your black 63 vert.

Welcome :D that sure is a nice color you have their. BACK. Is that close to RED? :devil

Welcome to the Forum Craig! :howdy

Great talking to you the other day. Hopefully you can get the 63 back on the road soon. :thumbs

Guest XLR8TNC5

Nice ride and WELCOME to ACE! We need to see some more of these generations here! So, is it a Split Window Coupe or a Vert? Can't wait to see it.

Welcome again to ACE!

Craig is a neighbor of mine. He stopped by the other day while I was out detailing for the Men's Expo. He says the 63 needs some TLC and I don't think it's running right now. The story he got on the car was that it's an old Mickey Thompson racecar. He can't official confirm that but it's what he's been told. It has the fender flares and everything that it would have need to race back then. It is a roadster, not a split window.

Robert and Elizabeth

Hi Craig from Gilbert, and welcome to ACE! :howdy

Sure sounds like a sweet roadster you got there. Can't wait to see some pix of it! Gotta love the classics! :thumbs

Hey Craig! :howdy and welcome to ACE from Peoria! :thumbs

A black '63 'vert? Racing history?? Flares??? Boing. :cone Post up pix, even it is in "project" phase, sounds fantastic. :thumbs:thumbs

Glad you found us! :yesnod

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Craig! :howdy and welcome to ACE from Peoria! :thumbs

A black '63 'vert? Racing history?? Flares??? Boing. :cone Post up pix, even it is in "project" phase, sounds fantastic. :thumbs:thumbs

Glad you found us! :yesnod

Sorry folks, I'm not rude... just not sure how to get around this site yet.

Yes, it's a black 63 vert with a 327 - 340HP but, it's a hot rod. It was very loud and very fast when it was running... serious fun. I've had it for 22 years and in her heyday, she was perfect. I did most of the restoration myself during my corporate life. Now, time, kids and a business have taken it's toll on the car. Every time I get it running something else breaks. I'm tired of bringing it to shops that just don't get it. Is there anybody out there that likes old carb and vac cars that's looking for some weekend side work????? Right now the fuel pump needs to be replaced. I put on a new one but, I must not have the rod in the correct position. Frustrating.

Now, I just hope I can figure out how to see if I get any replies!

Sorry folks, I'm not rude... just not sure how to get around this site yet.

Yes, it's a black 63 vert with a 327 - 340HP but, it's a hot rod. It was very loud and very fast when it was running... serious fun. I've had it for 22 years and in her heyday, she was perfect. I did most of the restoration myself during my corporate life. Now, time, kids and a business have taken it's toll on the car. Every time I get it running something else breaks. I'm tired of bringing it to shops that just don't get it. Is there anybody out there that likes old carb and vac cars that's looking for some weekend side work????? Right now the fuel pump needs to be replaced. I put on a new one but, I must not have the rod in the correct position. Frustrating.

Now, I just hope I can figure out how to see if I get any replies!

Wow had it for 22 years. I like that. Hey now sound lke a corvette Sunday coming up for you. :thumbs :D

I'm thinkin party at yer house :)

'hot rod' or stock don't matter .. they all look/sound a heck of a lot better than a Honda with a trash can fartin out the back! (just my opinion!)

Ah kin hep with Holly or Carter carbs .. wont ever mess with a thermo-quad or any ford imitation holly because they blatantly suck for tuning.

-Frank (ran dual quad cars for decades .. tunnel rammed and under the hood)

I'm thinkin party at yer house :)

'hot rod' or stock don't matter .. they all look/sound a heck of a lot better than a Honda with a trash can fartin out the back! (just my opinion!)

Ah kin hep with Holly or Carter carbs .. wont ever mess with a thermo-quad or any ford imitation holly because they blatantly suck for tuning.

-Frank (ran dual quad cars for decades .. tunnel rammed and under the hood)

It has an Edelbrock 750 on it now (and a spare on the shelf) but, they seem too touchy for me. I had everything dialed in quite well the last time it was running. I've been thinking of selling the Edelbrocks and going back to a normal Holly 750 or an old Carter. Your thoughts??????

Edelbrock's carbs are based on the old Carter AFB-AVS series (I think?)

Metering rods, one peice top that comes off and exposes alla innards?

Not as tuneable as a Holly .. not as many things you can mess with :)

Easy to dial in tho ..

..can change jets or rods or springs

(that pull the rods out of the jets when you punch it via vacuum signal)

..useda be a tuning 'kit' that had alla bits an peices

.. with color coded springs to go under the metering rods

.. a stiffer spring richens up fuel flow under throttle-off idle

.. rods vary fuel delivery at different throttle settings-off idle

..jet changes affect everything from idle all the way up thru full throttle.

..Float adjustment has to be correct like all carbs

.. too low an you starve when you accelerate or corner hard,

..too high an you dump fuel out onto the motor when you accelerate or corner hard.

That about covers alla 'hard tuning' stuff you can do with Carter based carbs. Idle adjust on 'em is same as all carbs .. lean it till it starts to die an then back em out 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

-Frank

Edelbrock's carbs are based on the old Carter AFB-AVS series (I think?)

Metering rods, one peice top that comes off and exposes alla innards?

Not as tuneable as a Holly .. not as many things you can mess with :)

Easy to dial in tho ..

..can change jets or rods or springs

(that pull the rods out of the jets when you punch it via vacuum signal)

..useda be a tuning 'kit' that had alla bits an peices

.. with color coded springs to go under the metering rods

.. a stiffer spring richens up fuel flow under throttle-off idle

.. rods vary fuel delivery at different throttle settings-off idle

..jet changes affect everything from idle all the way up thru full throttle.

..Float adjustment has to be correct like all carbs

.. too low an you starve when you accelerate or corner hard,

..too high an you dump fuel out onto the motor when you accelerate or corner hard.

That about covers alla 'hard tuning' stuff you can do with Carter based carbs. Idle adjust on 'em is same as all carbs .. lean it till it starts to die an then back em out 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

-Frank

Yes, I think you are right about them being Carters. Every time I put it up in summer the carb goes bad and needs to be replaced every fall. No one wants to rebuild them anymore and I just don't have the patience. It sounds like you know your carbs, they are fascinating to me but, I admit, I don't have a clue other than the basics. If I can get fuel pump situation under control I'll know if the carb still works. If not, it will be Holly time...

-Craig

Craig is a neighbor of mine. He stopped by the other day while I was out detailing for the Men's Expo. He says the 63 needs some TLC and I don't think it's running right now. The story he got on the car was that it's an old Mickey Thompson racecar. He can't official confirm that but it's what he's been told. It has the fender flares and everything that it would have need to race back then. It is a roadster, not a split window.

Thanks for speaking up for me while figured out I even had all of these messages! I'm still not sure how all this posting stuff works yet (note my blank replies). Maybe next weekend I can get some time to get it running. I'll come pick you up!

Craig

Thanks for speaking up for me while figured out I even had all of these messages! I'm still not sure how all this posting stuff works yet (note my blank replies). Maybe next weekend I can get some time to get it running. I'll come pick you up!

Craig

Been 30+ years since I worked on a carb but PM me if you need a hand. As you can see by the replies there are some real carb pros on here. If you decide to do the fuel pump / carb we have what we call "Corvette Saturdays/Sundays". You buy the pizza and beer and we supply the supervision and occassionally the manpower.

Also, if you get a chance let me know and I can show you how this place works. I'll have you posting like a pro in half an hour.

• 1 month later...

Craig

Been 30+ years since I worked on a carb but PM me if you need a hand. As you can see by the replies there are some real carb pros on here. If you decide to do the fuel pump / carb we have what we call "Corvette Saturdays/Sundays". You buy the pizza and beer and we supply the supervision and occassionally the manpower.

Also, if you get a chance let me know and I can show you how this place works. I'll have you posting like a pro in half an hour.

Crag. nice old Corvette 1963. I have the 1968. John68. and i have Holly for you if you need one, but you need to clean it and make it work for you. hope to meet you on the BBQ. if you could make it. good luck on your project. Pablo

Craig stopped by last weekend while he was out on a shake down run. He got the fuel pump working so the 63 is running. He says it still feels like it needs some tuning but that's to be expected after sitting for several years. He's modest about it but it really is a sweet looking 63. I had to remind him it's a 45 yr old car.