[Tax Question] refund - Roth IRA contribution = $?

Togo

i am trying to figure out whether or not i should dump my refund right into a Roth IRA so here's my logic (remember, i'm no accountant)

let's say i'm expecting a $1500 refund - and rather than receiving that refund, i just fund an IRA.

what would my new refund amount be?

is it safe to assume that if i'm expecting a refund of that amount and contribute that amount to an IRA that i will still get back some sort of a refund of say 20-30% of that amount because it's reducing my taxable income now by an additional $1500?

Roth IRAs are not tax deductible. Your refund would be the same. You get the tax benefit when you withdraw the Roth money in retirement - it is tax free then.

Your scenario would work with a traditional IRA, if you qualify.

David S. Schaefer, CPA

Roth IRAs are not tax deductible. Your refund would be the same. You get the tax benefit when you withdraw the Roth money in retirement - it is tax free then.

David S. Schaefer, CPA

David, do you know if there is such a thing as a self managed or self directed roth 401k? I like the idea of tax free gains, but don't want to be at the mercy of some fund manager.

David S. Schaefer, CPA

hey thanks, and that sucks! :bang

any idea if there is a way to fund a roth IRA with pretax dollars? :D like some sort of automatic deduction every week or something?

or - can one open a regular IRA and shift funds between ROTH and regular without any penalties? :leaving

or - can one open a regular IRA and shift funds between ROTH and regular without any penalties? :leaving

You can do this but you will end up with a new address.....what brand do you smoke???? :lol

You can do this but you will end up with a new address.....what brand do you smoke???? :lol

Key phrase here is "without any penalties". Some guys don't see bunking with Bubba as a penalty :lol

What I intend to do eventually is maintain both a roth and regular retirement fund. This way I can withdraw from either account depending on my tax situation in the year i withdraw it. Withdrawing gains from a Roth account is tax free, but you have to fund it with tax-paid dollars. This is usually advantageous if you plan on being in a higher tax bracket in retirement. Being self employed, its a bit of a gamble for me which is why i am trying to hedge it.

I would seek advise from a paid professional because every situation is different. But I am glad that there are so many investment vehicles available.

:2cents