2008 Viper

nort99

Heart-pounding rock music, roaring engines, and plenty of automotive muscle―at the Dodge press event, there’s no mistaking the impressive showmanship of an all-American brand.

The 2008 Viper is a brawny evocation of Dodge "attitude." “This is the most powerful, desirable, car on the road―it takes street legal performance to a new level and will outperform cars costing two times as much,” said Executive Vice President of Product Design Frank Klegon.

Viper Photo Gallery

With its V10 engine upsized to 8.4 liters and able to pump out 600 horsepower (plus a mighty 560 lb-ft of torque), Viper can once again claim to have more muscle than its key rivals at Chevrolet and Ford: the Corvette Z06 and Ford Shelby GT500 both top out at around 500 horsepower.

The extra power comes from an all-round development of the motor. Along with the additional engine displacement, there are stronger engine components that allow it to run faster. Improved engine breathing also plays a part.

On the road, that extra power means 0-60 mph acceleration in less than five seconds.

Message Boards: Is 600 horsepower too much for a street car? Voice your opinion!

I'm gonna put my flame suit on for this one....WE LOVE VIPERS IN THIS HOUSE. :eek There, I said it. Now to my real point: my youngest son pointed out that he can barely tell the "new" viper from a C6 as we saw a silver viper at a light. And as I squinted to check the car out, I agreed. :huh It seems the C6 stylists and the viper stylists, while aiming at each others fan-base, have penned some similar lines. While that motor has gotten more and more badazz, I prefer the styling on the older GTS coupe version, like ELESWUN's. :yesnod But 600 hp is nothing to sneeze at, so you can gimme one of these new ones, I won't complain. :lol

I know at least two of you mofo's agree.... :devil

Guest UVETTYA

Hype :bs

The ONLY place the new Viper out-performs the Z06 is on the skid pad. That's impressive, but other than that the Z06 pretty much dominates.

I wouldn't flame you for that comment! I agree, they're beautiful cars and I'd love to have one as long as I could afford my Vette too.

Hype :bs

The ONLY place the new Viper out-performs the Z06 is on the skid pad. That's impressive, but other than that the Z06 pretty much dominates.

The 2008 :huh:huh

It's nice, sort of, but after seeing the new Z06's I would DEFINITELY take that over the Viper.

I've just never been very keen on those Vipers for some reason. :toetap

I'm gonna put my flame suit on for this one....WE LOVE VIPERS IN THIS HOUSE. :eek There, I said it. Now to my real point: my youngest son pointed out that he can barely tell the "new" viper from a C6 as we saw a silver viper at a light. And as I squinted to check the car out, I agreed. :huh It seems the C6 stylists and the viper stylists, while aiming at each others fan-base, have penned some similar lines. While that motor has gotten more and more badazz, I prefer the styling on the older GTS coupe version, like ELESWUN's. :yesnod But 600 hp is nothing to sneeze at, so you can gimme one of these new ones, I won't complain. :lol

I know at least two of you mofo's agree.... :devil

Me no flame, I like the viper also. but I love my vette. And yes they are a bad azz machine I think. :D

Here's a bit of motor triva about Vipers that you may not of known about. They have NO cam bearings. Steel on steel only. I know that sounds crazy, but true, not sure about the 2007 though. Why, who knows, maybe its a wieght thing...LOL!

Vipers are cool, but Z0s ROCK! I'm willing to bet that the 2008 Z06 will be sporting more HP because of the Viper. Works for me. :thumbs

I like a Viper in Red .. or black .. or anything except Beige.

Ok ok .. beige works with black stripes.

I like the C-5 .. and the C-6 .. an C-4 ..add the C-3, .. and alla rest too.

I get a visceral jolt every time I see a Hemi GTX.

Especially the '67 ..I would love to own one again.

I like *big* motors in *small* cars.

Ok mebbe a Yugo with a 454 is goin *almost* too far.

-hangs head- .. ok .. ima car nut.

I even like the looks of most Ferrari's.

Even a Rat powered 57 chebby turns my head.

-Frank

Guest XLR8TNC5

I like Vipers. I am more sweet on the older GTS bodystylings however of the 90's moreso than the stylings of today. I think the ones today look like an S2000 on Steroids. And I agree, some of the lines of the C6 and the newer Vipes do resemble each other.

No flame here.

The 2006 Viper will be the 07 also...no production for 07's pending the 08"s. Should the mythical Zo-?, SS or whatever arrive...it will be pricey :yesnod

Robert and Elizabeth
I like Vipers. I am more sweet on the older GTS bodystylings however of the 90's moreso than the stylings of today. I think the ones today look like an S2000 on Steroids. And I agree, some of the lines of the C6 and the newer Vipes do resemble each other.

No flame here.

:agree

I think GM maybe out classed on this one...

The viper retails for about 85k... only slightly more than a Z06 and has almost a 100 more horses... So GM is going to produce the Z06 SS or whatever the hell its called, however it will be close to 100k. Granted it will make 50 more hp than the viper, but for 100k there are alot prettier cars out there then the Z06.

Just a side note.. the new Lexus LFA will cost about 85k and produce 550 hp through a V8 twin turbo. 650 hp is only a boost controller away.

The technology, bodylines, etc on the LFA are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Z06.

corvette_bluedevil_spy_new.jpg

2.jpg

The viper retails for about 85k... only slightly more than a Z06 and has almost a 100 more horses

reality is, these are really going for low 70's...new!