Stupid question

dewey

Finally bought my first timing light, 'cause she seems to be running worse than on the Karchner Cruise, plus an annoying stumble at stop lights (basically, in gear, on the brakes, she'll start to idle rough) Which tends to get worse the warmer she gets. Very slight stumble on acceleration from idle at a stop, but she's fine at speed or with some RPMs, and idles a little high in Park.

Anyway, I buy this timing light at Sears, and the instructions say to hook the red lead to the positive battery post. Now that's kind of impossible on a C3, so the stupid question of the day is, where do I hook the red lead up to?

Keep in mind, I have never done this stuff before, so I have NO CLUE. Teaching myself by trial and error.

Also, all of the emissions junk is still on there, which will be coming off, one I can figure out what can come off.

Hey, sounds like a Corvette Saturday, huh?

You will want to hook the positive lead to the Thick red wire comming off of the alt . Be care ful because the metal housing of the alt is all ground .

To be honest the issue you describe could be the timing or an adjustment on the carb is needed.

What type of carb do you have? Holley? Or elderbrock?

If you decide on a corvette Saturday go all out and replace the plugs while you are at it.

Chad

You will want to hook the positive lead to the Thick red wire comming off of the alt . Be care ful because the metal housing of the alt is all ground .

To be honest the issue you describe could be the timing or an adjustment on the carb is needed.

What type of carb do you have? Holley? Or elderbrock?

If you decide on a corvette Saturday go all out and replace the plugs while you are at it.

Chad

Carter Quadrajet!

I've learned enough from reading Lars' stuff that adjustments to the carb don't mean squat if the timing isn't right, so I'll check that as well. Need to learn myself all that stuff as well.

Plus are on the list!

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like carb tunin needed.

Pull the air cleaner, look down the throats with the motor off, work the linkage slowly open .. should be steady stream of fuel out of accelerator nozzles as soon as you start to open the throttle. If not .. there's yer bog.

Falling off in gear could be floats too low or too high. Too low she's leanin out, usually will start to idle faster then die off.. too rich she's loadin up onya .. should smell raw fuel and see black smoke puffs out the back as she starts gettin rough.

IMHO

-Frank (useda run tunnel ram dual quad cars .. for a long .. long long .. time :)

Guest Sidewinder

Vacuum leak. Do you have a vacuum guage? If not maybe the auto hobby shop on base has one. If you get your hands on one lemme know.

Hey, if the rough idle occurs with the brakes on & goes away with the brakes released the problem is the power brake booster. Vacuum leak internally.

Pickd up a vaccum gauge, dwell/tach/voltmeter, and a timing light yesterday.

BJ, good point, but it doesn't seem to do any different when braking at speed, but as it sits at lights, or wherever, that's when it gets rough. Basically, it doesn't rough idle right away, but the longer I sit at a light, the worse it gets.

I'll be checking all of the carb settings when I do this, might even get to it tomorrow night.