Popping and crackling sounds

mahdaeng

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this one, so I'm hoping you gurus here have some suggestions...

I drove my '08 pretty long and hard over a two day trip. Near the end of the trip I started noticing some popping and crackling sounds coming through my speaker (I don't know how else to describe them). Those sounds became more and more pronounced. When I got home and let everything cool off, I popped the hood to see if anything looked funny. I noticed the cap for coolant tank was popped off - but amazingly hadn't got lost in the drive. During the trip I never noticed any overheating occurring, and everything seems fine  now mechanically, so I don't know why the cap came off in the first place. Also, nothing looks obviously damaged. Now, whenever I first turn the car on, or select any menu items, or turn on the stereo - basically, anything that produces a sound - those popping noises are there.

Here's my best guess at this point: During the trip, some coolant splashed out and landed on something electrical related to the speakers. Maybe a fuse, a wire, I don't know.

Do any of you have any ideas on what the problem might be, or how to diagnose it?

Thank you!

Is it coming out of all speakers?

Check if amp on speaker it is coming from is toast.

Thanks, all.

It seems to be coming from the front speaker in the driver's side door.

Would coolant flying around be able to damage the amp?

SixAddict

I don’t think coolant had anything to do with the speaker issue. Just a coincidence more than likely.