Always get the Car Fax

Big Tom

And that's why you always buy the Carfax Report.

I called on a nice looking low mileage Corvette Convertible and the owner said that he was the second owner.......

Fast forward to the Car Fax Report. 7 owners in 5 different states. Reported stolen in 2000, Total loss from collision in 2003.

I got the owners wife on the phone and she says that they were actually the 3rd owners......

As Dr. House says "Everyone Lies".

Corvette 96.jpg

• Confused 1

Another red flag is buying a car with a signed title showing a name different then the seller. AKA flipping/curbing a car.  This is done in states where they pay taxes on each transaction and the seller is skipping that step.  

CarFax is a great tool but remember it’s not 100%. My first Corvette was hit on the drivers side. The entire side was replaced. When I traded it in there was no mention of an accident on CarFax. 

Yeah I know that Car Fax is not infallible but it's a start. This was the best $44 I have spent lately.... Too bad, this car checked all the boxes.

'96, Vert, Manual. 51 K Miles $12K

Too bad the low miles was because it was in a shop for 3 years.....

Oh well I'm in no rush....

16 hours ago, Eddie44 said:

CarFax is a great tool but remember it’s not 100%. My first Corvette was hit on the drivers side. The entire side was replaced. When I traded it in there was no mention of an accident on CarFax. 

Yup.  I got my current Vette in 2017.  The guy I got it from gave me the car fax from when he bought it in 2016.  Clear.

In 2020 I was looking to possibly trade it in, and the dealer asked me about the accident it was in.

What accident?  It was rear-ended in 2015, but the accident wasn't placed on the car fax record until 2018.

:cuss

But, I agree getting one is still a smart move. 

• Sad 2

On 3/18/2023 at 11:29 PM, Desertdawg said:

Remember when no one knew what a car fax was?

I'm so old I remember a fax was one sheet attached to a big roller that spun around for about five minutes and the other end had a similar machine with similar wait times for ONE sheet of paper!

I turned in my dad’s leased Caddy when he passed.  He had two accidents.  GMAC sent me a letter saying all was good!  I bet the Carfax read different a few years later!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, JohnU said:

Another red flag is buying a car with a signed title showing a name different then the seller. AKA flipping/curbing a car.  This is done in states where they pay taxes on each transaction and the seller is skipping that step.  

“I’m selling it for my dad”

”my brother is sick so I’m trying to help him out” 

Etc etc etc 

1 hour ago, aenigma said:

“I’m selling it for my dad”

”my brother is sick so I’m trying to help him out” 

Etc etc etc 

Remember the local east side PHX flipper profiled on TV.

He was sticking locals with lemons/totaled rebuilds. Nothing out of his mouth was truthful.  He was previously convicted but kept selling lies & junk.