Anyone Know this C5?

Big Tom

I have been Jonesing for another Vert and been waiting for a nice C4 to come along. However this C5 looks nice.

I'm always suspicious of low mileage cars but this is for sale in Surprise so I thought I would go look.

I am inclined towards impulse buys so I thought I would ask for advice here. 

Tom

ACE Corvette C5.jpg

ACE Corvette C5 2.jpg

That's just gorgeous.  How many miles and what year?   You might've found the garage queen find

Look for ill fitting or missing shrouds and covers under the hood.  What would really be nice is if you could get under the car and look for leaks, LS motor this age tends to start leaking at the pan gaskets.  Look for the typical balancer wobble

Personally, I wouldn't want one older than an '01 and that's all about parts availability (EBCM)

• Upvote 1

Since it doesn’t have AZ plates it’s probably not been around here much. 
Notice the factory exhaust, could add to Jim’s mention of a garage queen. And possibly not abused. 

I’ve always loved that color combo. 

I don't know the car.  The plate looks like Oregon?

Also, someone correct me (Jim?) but if memory serves, 2001 is the year they did the improvement of putting the LS6 intake manifold on the LS1. . .

4 hours ago, Chameleon said:

I don't know the car.  The plate looks like Oregon?

Also, someone correct me (Jim?) but if memory serves, 2001 is the year they did the improvement of putting the LS6 intake manifold on the LS1. . .

Laundry list of fixes and upgrades that year.  Intake, seals at the diff, stronger output shafts to the wheels, EBCM.  They really started dialing in the C5 in '01

3 hours ago, Big Tom said:

Nevermind... Just sold it...

Do you really want a manual??  I wouldn't, not in this traffic and at my age (knees).

Anything C5 I would flat out ask if the balancer and pan gasket had been done.  Pan Gasket is pretty spendy to repair unless you can live with the drips and the smell from it burning off the exhause

3 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Do you really want a manual??  I wouldn't, not in this traffic and at my age (knees).

Anything C5 I would flat out ask if the balancer and pan gasket had been done.  Pan Gasket is pretty spendy to repair unless you can live with the drips and the smell from it burning off the exhause

Yeah, last hurrah of the stick shift. Not gonna be a DD and I have 6 Grand kids and none of them will be able to drive it....LOL

Just Dreaming right now, but I'm looking in case the right car comes along. It's getting harder to hold up the Goldwing.

Millenial anti theft device.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Well this got me thinking......  I'm gonna put a few more bucks aside and wait for the right C6 to come along. Wifey was correct, should have kept the one I had.

@Big Tom, I love your anti-theft device.  I got tires on the Vette a few weeks ago and they had no one working that day who knew how to drive a stick.

Not that I would have let them put it in the bay anyway, but it was funny! :smilelol

• Haha 2

A friend of mine owned a 57 Chevy with a B&M Quik Silver shifter and the guys at Discount Tire had no clue and jammed it, My then 16-year-old son had to go with her and slide under the car to fix it and show them how it worked!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yikes, asked a question on the Big Board and got this back

"The short answer is yes.... Here's a small list of the 05 problems
-Steering Column Lock
-4l60e automatic (the worst trans GM ever made)
-Various electronic issues
-Weak Differentials
-Weak Axles
-1 year off ECM with completly different pinout than the e38 controllers they went to in 06 and kept through the rest of the c6 run. BCM is also a 1 off year... both are hard to source replacements and sourcing additional pins for the 05 is a whole ordeal.

Theres probably more I'm missing but these are the most notable. The 4l60e is equivalent to a boat anchor that occasionally will shift gears if you ask it nicely but more likely it will leave you with 5 neutrals and a headache. 06 up they went to the near bullet proof 6l80e and a stronger diff. If your shopping manuals not as big of a deal as they all got the T56 up until 2008 when they went to the TR6060, but I believe even the manual 05s have a weaker diff. I would def shop 06 and up if it we're me. Nothing against folks that have 05s but they are probably the most problem prone c6."

The short of it, is the '05 is mostly a re-skinned '04, they didn't really make the C6 a C6 until '07/'08.  All those problems listed are known C5 issues, so even later C5 you'll be looking at those problems as well.  

Now, think about the logic, most of those driveline issues on cars you look at have already likely been dealt with, so that's a plus

Id try to find an "08 and up, you get the LS3 then and upgraded electronics

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Id try to find an "08 and up, you get the LS3 then and upgraded electronics

I agree with the man!  Shop for 08 and newer. 

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing the changes in the C6 series, I'd look for a '09 or later year. The mechanical/electrical changes made in that year, although minor, carried through to the end of C6 production. It took the first 4 years to get everything sorted out, so the last 5 years could become mostly cosmetics.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...