C-5 12 disc CD changer problem

Mag red 02 vert

Mag red 02 vert

Question:  The CD changer in the compartment below the trunk keeps searching for a disc when parked and power off. It works as designed with discs in the cassette.  I remove the cassette and it still searches.  I’ve disconnected and reconnected the battery to no avail.  Nothing on the Forum is on point other than battery disconnect. 
Any ideas?

7 hours ago, Mag red 02 vert said:

Question:  The CD changer in the compartment below the trunk keeps searching for a disc when parked and power off. It works as designed with discs in the cassette.  I remove the cassette and it still searches.  I’ve disconnected and reconnected the battery to no avail.  Nothing on the Forum is on point other than battery disconnect. 
Any ideas?

When my 2001 C5 did that, it meant my battery was ready to die.  Very weird, but that happened twice during the 5 years I owned the car. :ack:

Mag red 02 vert

Thanks!  That is a reported possible cause except it’s a fairly new Costco Excide battery. It tests 12.36v at the battery and slightly less on the DIC dsplay.  I had just put the maintainer on for winter storage when it started. So I changed to a different maintainer - still does it.  Wondering if that triggered it. Hmmmm. And I’ve had other batteries at or near death but no symptoms.  Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Mag red 02 vert said:

Thanks!  That is a reported possible cause except it’s a fairly new Costco Excide battery. It tests 12.36v at the battery and slightly less on the DIC dsplay.  I had just put the maintainer on for winter storage when it started. So I changed to a different maintainer - still does it.  Wondering if that triggered it. Hmmmm. And I’ve had other batteries at or near death but no symptoms.  Thanks again!

That is NOT enough voltage for a Corvette.  Just sayin'. . .

Mag red 02 vert

Thanks!  What should it be?  For the record, I disconnected the battery maintainer and it seems to have solved the problem.  We’ll see.  Thanks for the feedback!

22 hours ago, Mag red 02 vert said:

Thanks!  What should it be?  For the record, I disconnected the battery maintainer and it seems to have solved the problem.  We’ll see.  Thanks for the feedback!

Glad to hear you seem to have tracked down the issue! My memory is vague about my C5, but I recall it being something in the high 13.x   My current C6 runs between 13.9 and 14.3 under normal operating conditions.

With the engine off, the fully charged car battery voltage will measure 12.6 volts. This is known as “resting voltage.”

When the engine is running, battery voltage will typically rise to 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

If your resting voltage is dropping to the low 12 volt range it’s getting weak. 

Also, if you haven’t done so already, go thru the C5 grounding points and make sure your not fighting that dreaded problem.