What The F**k - Please Read

Chameleon

This is about our past Sunday Brunch at Dillon's. 

One of our members has contacted me with questions about some of the charges on their receipt from the last Sunday Brunch we had at Dillon’s on August 28th.  I then looked at my receipt and saw the same stuff. 

Investigated a bit, and did NOT like what I found.

We generally expect to pay for food/beverages we order, applicable tax, and a decent tip (usually 20% for decent service).

At Dillon’s, here is what we are paying:

Our food/beverage order cost

Service charge at 22.6% (of which I was NOT informed when I made our reservations)

Tax at 11.6% of our order cost instead of 9.2% because the “service charge” is also taxable

“P206” at 2.95% - this is where Dillon’s is charging us for a portion of their employee’s pay (I was not informed of this charge either when I made our reservations).

In summary, what this adds up to is that by making a reservation and bringing them additional business (which they would not otherwise have) on a Sunday morning, we are all being charged an additional 14.3% on our bills. 

It doesn’t stop there. . . regular customers are also being misled - the calculated gratuity suggestions on the bottom of the receipt didn’t look right to me, so I did the math.  They’re not correct.

18% is actually 20.6%,

20% is actually 22.9%

and

22% is actually 25.2%

Food service gratuities are supposed to be calculated on the value of food/beverages purchased.

Their gratuity suggestions are calculated on your order cost, tax, and the P206 charge. 

Meaning, after hitting the customer for 2.95% extra on the bill for employee pay, they suggest you should now tip based on an amount which includes the portion of the employee’s pay for which you have already been involuntarily charged.   The power of compounding interest! :ack:

Maybe you don’t have a problem with any of this, but I do.  Impact to me was about $3. Not much.  For me, it’s not the money, it’s the principal.  I know they need to make a profit to stay in business.  If they need to increase their prices for food/beverages, I get it.  Seeing those prices on the menu allows me to decide if I want to purchase an item or not.  This approach of padding the bill and hiding additional charges within the percentages is sneaky and dishonest in my personal book of ethics.

We currently still have a reservation at Dillon’s at 11:00 am for this coming Sunday, September 25th. 

However, so far no one has posted up as attending.  So, unless there is interest in continuing to have this Brunch, I will cancel that reservation and shut down the thread.  I won’t be there as I will still be in Prescott on Sunday following the show.  Also, with this learning experience, I personally have zero desire to give Dillon’s any more of my business.

Open to hearing comments. . .

UPDATE: based upon member responses, the reservation for September 25th has been canceled, the thread locked, and the event removed from our calendars and Facebook. 

Thanks to those who commented.  

20220918_134200.thumb.jpg.f7596f800ba2e3225d6eb11060e95ba9.jpg20220918_134025.thumb.jpg.cea589a7df0c61c0ff6c34ecd7dc5fc1.jpg

• Sad 1

My wife and I visited their establishment at the Wildlife World Zoo off of the 303 about 3 years ago for lunch.

The food was not good and the service was even worse.

The manager comped our meal and gave us a gift card to try the other location at Lake Pleasant.

We never used the card and marked that place off our list.

I have not been to one of the Sunday lunches at Dillons so I can not comment on this location.

Hopefully there is a place that wants business in the greater Phoenix area.

• Like 1

WOW! That's crazy! If they have a REVIEW area, I would definitely post up what happened and what is going on there for others to see, but that's jus me and they appear to be dishonest .

• Like 1

I agree with John,  this is popping up everywhere.  
Also learn to review every receipt from now on as additional charges pop up for products or services not received. 
We were charged for the ice teas we ordered as well as water we didn’t order and didn’t receive at a different restaurant. 
A friend said they bought pants and shirts at a popular store and there was socks for $13.95 added to their bill. 

Also, now there is shrinkflation.
We bought a box of Zesta crackers. Same size box as the last one but upon opening there was about 2 inches of airspace, all 4 sleeves were only about 3/4 filled. And the cost was more than the last box too. 

The thing that had me saying What the F#%@!

We went to a Firehouse subs. Ordered 2 subs 2 chips, NO drinks. $30 bucks. :chris  

3 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

We went to a Firehouse subs. Ordered 2 subs 2 chips, NO drinks. $30 bucks. :chris  

I met a pal at Subway.  Two 6” meal deals…. $25.

6 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

2 hours ago, JohnU said:

I met a pal at Subway.  Two 6” meal deals…. $25.

I agree that it is everywhere...

However, when the prices are posted, at least you have a choice. 

Charges for items you didn't receive or weren't told about in advance is just plain dishonesty in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

When I reviewed my bill I thought I was the only DA that didn't know what was going on.  Many times we go to places where they automatically add a tip to the bill, but this one is over the top!  Not again for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave64 said:

I'm for cancelling the reservation.  There are other spots we can scout-out.

Duly noted.  I'm sure we can do better. . .

• Upvote 1

We only tried it once, food was OK, but expensive, now I know why. I would not go back again. Thanks for sleuthing this out

Chris & Debby

• Like 1

No dog in this hunt

With any large group its almost certain any restaurant (even pre-covid) would have an 18% gratuity automatically applied, even with split checks; some folks running with large groups are notoriously bad tippers and large groups just require more attention.  If they didn't tell you the standard applied gratuity prior to or at least when you were seated, yeah, bad on them.  I think some restaurants just assume people know this anymore

I think they're taking advantage of the situation regardless.  

Hey, try this place, same neighborhood (ish):

https://oggis.com/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

No dog in this hunt

With any large group its almost certain any restaurant (even pre-covid) would have an 18% gratuity automatically applied, even with split checks; some folks running with large groups are notoriously bad tippers and large groups just require more attention.  If they didn't tell you the standard applied gratuity prior to or at least when you were seated, yeah, bad on them.  I think some restaurants just assume people know this anymore

Julie and me ate there once a few yrs ago for a going away party.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

No dog in this hunt

We have had an automatic gratuity a bunch of times with our lunches.  It's always been at 18% and I've never heard anyone complain.

We weren't told about this "service charge" which isn't a gratuity, even though the wait staff circles "gratuity included" on the receipt.  Gratuities aren't taxable.  This is a taxable service charge at 22.6% so by the time you add tax, it's 24.7% of the food bill.  And, that's not counting the 2.95% for the 2017 Prop 206 hike in the minimum wage that they stuck on the bill - again without telling us.

Haven't been to Oggis, have heard of them though.  Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbs

ChainHeartMachine

We might consider Cocino Madrigal off roughly 16th Street and Broadway. Definitely has been good food and service the couple times I've gone there.

Pepper sauce Cafe off 40th street and the i10 is good. Busy as heck for lunch on weekdays, not sure about weekends, but the parking might be an issue.

16 minutes ago, ChainHeartMachine said:

We might consider Cocino Madrigal off roughly 16th Street and Broadway. Definitely has been good food and service the couple times I've gone there.

Pepper sauce Cafe off 40th street and the i10 is good. Busy as heck for lunch on weekdays, not sure about weekends, but the parking might be an issue.

Been going to Peppersauce for years, unfortunately the are not open on weekends

Interesting, and unfortunate. 
At my last Father’s Day Cottonwood picnic, the Dillon’s founder, George Valverde, who drove a Vette and attended my cruise, approached me about interest for using Dillion’s for other events. He’s an ACE member on FB, but not here. I still have his business card, if you want to give him the opportunity to explain and possibly redeem himself and his brand. @Chameleon

I’ll second Oggi’s for food and craft beer selection! The parking sucks for their storefront, but there’s more parking next door at the $1.50 FJB inflation outlet (previously $0.99 store). 

^^^ I know George joined on Facebook.  I actually talked to him at the most recent brunch there at Dillon's Arrowhead, he indicated a desire to expand that event and have roped off parking and maybe encourage some kind of car show and maybe have a breakfast.

We agreed that I would reach out to him. I sent an email to him and his marketing person on September 1st, requesting to set up a meeting to discuss future plans, and I have received nothing back from either of them. Just crickets. 

18 hours ago, ChainHeartMachine said:

17 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Been going to Peppersauce for years, unfortunately the are not open on weekends

16 hours ago, theChad said:

I’ll second Oggi’s for food and craft beer selection! The parking sucks for their storefront, but there’s more parking next door at the $1.50 FJB inflation outlet (previously $0.99 store). 

Appreciate the suggestions and info. 

FWIW, the idea behind the Sunday Brunch was to have something on the west side of town (meaning at least west of I-17), on Sunday, late morning/noonish.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN TAKING THE LEAD IN CHECKING OUT/SETTING  UP SOMETHING AT OGGI'S??? If so, please proceed!

11 hours ago, Chameleon said:

to have something on the west side of town (meaning at least west of I-17)

I was laughing at the suggestions and how far east it was moving.  

11 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

I was laughing at the suggestions and how far east it was moving.  

You are the furthest west ACEhole. . . maybe you could set something up. . . :bolt:

ChainHeartMachine
11 hours ago, Chameleon said:

You are the furthest west ACEhole. . . maybe you could set something up. . . :bolt:

Further west than 181st ave?

12 hours ago, Chameleon said:

25 minutes ago, ChainHeartMachine said:

Further west than 181st ave?

YES!  :)