Photo Radar Returns!

MOTV8

Snottsdale voted, and KPHO just reported the cameras will stay and be turned back on. Didn't catch all the details, but it appears the "trap" worked perfectly since speeding was UP 850% since the cameras were turned "off" in November or whatever. Also reported they raked in more than $2.3 million (<--Dr. Evil voice) in "surcharges" from the freeway cameras before turning them off for the little "experiment".

:bs

Yep, had to know they were do a new test with the cameras off. People can not resist speeding around those sensors. I am sure glad I don't drive that area much.

Snottsdale voted, and KPHO just reported the cameras will stay and be turned back on. Didn't catch all the details, but it appears the "trap" worked perfectly since speeding was UP 850% since the cameras were turned "off" in November or whatever. Also reported they raked in more than $2.3 million (<--Dr. Evil voice) in "surcharges" from the freeway cameras before turning them off for the little "experiment".

They should be required to paint dollar $ign$ on them so they more accurately reflect the cash registers that they are.

Guest UVETTYA

They should be required to paint dollar $ign$ on them so they more accurately reflect the cash registers that they are.

Yep, it's always been about money. They just bullshit about accidents and stuff. The statistics simply don't support the notion that they make the roads safer.

They should put up a big loud speaker and every time someone get's caught it shoud blare out: KAAA-CHING!

Guest XLR8TNC5

This morning, they were interviewing one of the guys on the board and he made the most aguest piece of crap statement I could have ever heard for his argument as to why they were coming back.

"Yeah, since we turned them off, accidents are up 20 to 70 percent."

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so, what you are saying is, "There is a 50% chance that accidents are up or down!" You don't know! I mean isn't that a vague ass statement? Here, let me be sure to coer all aspects of our f'ed up rationalization and just put the range from 20 to 70 percent. How stupid can you be. Even the laws of statistics could find its way otu of a paper bag on this one! What a bunch of assholes. Sorry, that's my take.

And so are the assholes who decided to go all rebel, James Dean and play around the lights in excessive speeds. F them too!

Damn, let me tell you all how I really feel. lol.

The accidents AREN'T up and the speed isn't either!!

I travel that corridor every day and you still get the 'brake lights before the cameras' drivers!!

Who are they trying to shit??

It's all about revenue and some WELL PAID group played the numbers game!

I can see the 'number players' showing how EVERY multi-lane section of highway should be 'monitored' and throwing that $$ pitch to the local governments!!

"You pay to get it installed and look what you can expect to receive!! $$$$$$$

Eddie said it just after they shut it down.

No one has tested this approach to the AZ speeding law in court.

They 'Scottsdale' had the $$ to test the waters, now we all are gonna pay!

Ken

I travel that corridor every day and you still get the 'brake lights before the cameras' drivers!!

I can see the 'number players' showing how EVERY multi-lane section of highway should be 'monitored' and throwing that $$ pitch to the local governments!!

Ken

Simple Solution: Just don't speed :bang

post-470-1168996351.jpg

:lol

Ken

Simple Solution: Just don't speed :bang

post-470-1168996351.jpg

:lol

or my idea - i just won't drive through that corridor - it's not like it's convenient anyway, i live in the northwest part of town - and to get to AZPS, XTREME, ADS, etc, the I17 route is better anyway - as far as the pavillions - i don't go there often enough to care - guess it's time to put up my boycott scottsdale webpage that i talked about - my theory is that the city council approved these - and the business owners will most definitely go to the city council and BEG them to shut those off again so business will pick up.

i'm going to have to get to work on that website - then submit it to all the news stations, with a forum and everything, that should get the ball rolling just fine! :thumbs

I agree with you 100% Chris. My only warning is do your homework. Have figures, statistics, etc. If you don't go in prepared the City of Scottsdale and the media will make you look like a Kook that drives fast in his modded Vette. Just sharing my experience with City Government. :D

Having Vette owners talk against this is playing right into the City of Scottsdales hand. The spokes person this fight needs is a little old woman who never drives over the speed limit. Sorry the wife is busy :lol:lol

The spokes person this fight needs is a little old woman who never drives over the speed limit. Sorry the wife is busy :lol:lol

dont fret Eddie, We can get you a dress. :)

The spokes person this fight needs is a little old woman who never drives over the speed limit. Sorry the wife is busy :lol:lol

dont fret Eddie, We can get you a dress. :)

I'm sure Dwayne has thought of it but then we all know what a perv he is :lol:lol

Guest Steve Mulvey

I see that there is some anger on this issue..

The facts are simple - when they turned off the cameras the point was to see if people continued to speed or - had some magic Pavlovian behaviour modification taken place? I went to the meeting back in the fall and have the data sheets on this latest Orwellian limitation on everyone's legal rights. The deck was stacked from the beginning and not by Scottsdale politicians but by the people who make the cameras. They have had years to perfect the technique and propaganda and they are very good at it. What do you suppose the results would be if they had not announced in all the media that they were switching off the cameras? I have no data but emphrically it seems that the speed violations would have stayed about the same as they were when the cameras were running.

How about the ongoing contest they sponsored to egg imbeciles into being the fastest through the trap? There are plenty old ex LEO's on here that will tell you that it is highly unusual to publish such information for two reasons - first , as I have said it causes others to try and emulate or exceed the example, and second - it is the primary evidence in a criminal investigation, in fact there is no other evidence! If you were investigating a crime and there was only one piece of evidence, would you make it public? The criminal ,if he even has a glimmer will shut up about the crime and how do you get a non predjudiced jury? I would be asking for a jury trial if I got whacked for 132 in a 65...

The result will be the same if they turn the cameras on or just say that they will. We who live here will slow to 69 to cross the wires, go back to 75 on the open area and repeat as neccessary. I live between two cameras - I know where they are and I don't daydream on this part of the road. The real concern is as I mentioned in the initial post I made last fall - ALL of the other cities on the 101 have plans to put these things up and they will use the Scottsdale example as justification.

The person you need to shove is not one of the dupes here in Scottsdale , but the Governor. She has jurisdiction on the 101. The DPS is solely empowered to patrol the road, ever see a Phoenix radio car with a speeder on the side? - no, never! If the Governor can put down her latte for 5 minutes and snag the revenue for the state, I am sure all of the hoopla will die down. Or the F@#&*!G things will go up on the 93....

I see that there is some anger on this issue..

The facts are simple - when they turned off the cameras the point was to see if people continued to speed or - had some magic Pavlovian behaviour modification taken place? I went to the meeting back in the fall and have the data sheets on this latest Orwellian limitation on everyone's legal rights. The deck was stacked from the beginning and not by Scottsdale politicians but by the people who make the cameras. They have had years to perfect the technique and propaganda and they are very good at it. What do you suppose the results would be if they had not announced in all the media that they were switching off the cameras? I have no data but emphrically it seems that the speed violations would have stayed about the same as they were when the cameras were running.

How about the ongoing contest they sponsored to egg imbeciles into being the fastest through the trap? There are plenty old ex LEO's on here that will tell you that it is highly unusual to publish such information for two reasons - first , as I have said it causes others to try and emulate or exceed the example, and second - it is the primary evidence in a criminal investigation, in fact there is no other evidence! If you were investigating a crime and there was only one piece of evidence, would you make it public? The criminal ,if he even has a glimmer will shut up about the crime and how do you get a non predjudiced jury? I would be asking for a jury trial if I got whacked for 132 in a 65...

The result will be the same if they turn the cameras on or just say that they will. We who live here will slow to 69 to cross the wires, go back to 75 on the open area and repeat as neccessary. I live between two cameras - I know where they are and I don't daydream on this part of the road. The real concern is as I mentioned in the initial post I made last fall - ALL of the other cities on the 101 have plans to put these things up and they will use the Scottsdale example as justification.

The person you need to shove is not one of the dupes here in Scottsdale , but the Governor. She has jurisdiction on the 101. The DPS is solely empowered to patrol the road, ever see a Phoenix radio car with a speeder on the side? - no, never! If the Governor can put down her latte for 5 minutes and snag the revenue for the state, I am sure all of the hoopla will die down. Or the F@#&*!G things will go up on the 93....

You have hit it on the nose Steve! One slight correction I would make in your statement. Phx PD, MCSO and for that matter any other LE agency in the state can cite any where in the state. They give up day to day jurisdiction on the freeways to DPS. If Phx PD is cruising up the 51 and see someone in the HOV lane they can and most likely will stop. Don't ask how I know :D

i was watching a newcast a couple weeks ago and noticed that the 101 was not even mentioned if i recall correctly in the most dangerous segments of freeway - what was mentioned though, was the 60 freeway westbound as it merges to the 10, and the 202 westbound where it merges with the 10 also - so where are they getting the data to support these cameras are making the roads safer? if the data doesn't support the fact then isn't it worthless????

also - jackie drives like a little old lady (we had this discussion last weekend) so she could be the spokesperson - i'll just sign up the website in her name! :chris

There was a time when I useda blast down the freeway .. I made the run from Tempe (picked up wife from her work when she got off at midnite) .. to the beaches just below Long Beach in four and a half hours. (we watched the sun come up all snuggly in our sleeping bag).

Distance = 450 miles. We stopped twice for snacks, twice for gas.

This was long before I-10 ran into Phoenix .. hadda go out Grand to Wickenburg and out to I-10 from there. I still remember curving around into Wickenburg at ~125 or so, and just blowin by a hiway patrol car on the inside lane, .. saw his lites come on, decided I was goin to jail anyway if I stopped so I kept the hammer down and we blasted thru Wickenburg, hung a right to head out to I-10 .. and pulled into the last 7-11 before leavin Wickenburg to grab a snack.

Watched the Hiway patrol guy zoom by with lights on a few minutes later.

Our '69 Road Runner lived the name that nite.

I don't do that anymore ..never did get into 'in town' triple digit cruisin.

(well .. except that one night down Central ..2AM and two of us ran from Camelback to South Mountain flat out.. but that's another story)

-Frank (I was invulnerable when I was younger . . the fact that I am still here proves it)

...or - had some magic Pavlovian behaviour modification ....

HUH? so you mean there are new rules for the Pavallion car show?

cAhd

Speaking of the "FIGHT BACK" stuff by Chad...Has anyone had the chance to "accidently" try it out from the purchases from Robert and see if it worked? Just wondering. :leaving