Good or bad idea? Swapping engine

zpromax777

zpromax777

I have the chance to get an 85 vette with a rebuilt eng and trans. I would like to yank the eng and trans out and put it in my 82. Will I be having issues with gauges and such. the 82 has a mechanical speedo so that is no problem. Any other problems other than taking all the ecm and wiring? Bottom line, GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

Desertdawg

The engine is just an engine, if you swap the long block into the 82 there shouldn’t be any problems. If you want to move the electronics also it’s going to be a long tuff road …

Unless you can get the 85 for very cheap, I bet you could rebuild the original motor and tranny for a decent price, or even look at a crate motor and tranny…

I agree with Desertdawg.  You can get a made-to-order crate motor these days that will fit your desire, probably for less $$ than what you're contemplating. :cheers

FNBADAZ06
On 7/31/2022 at 1:52 AM, Desertdawg said:

The engine is just an engine, if you swap the long block into the 82 there shouldn’t be any problems. If you want to move the electronics also it’s going to be a long tuff road …

Unless you can get the 85 for very cheap, I bet you could rebuild the original motor and tranny for a decent price, or even look at a crate motor and tranny…

Do you even own or DRIVE a Vette anymore ?

Asking for a friend....... :P

Buccaneer

Be still my heart...It's Vic! :thumbs Where ya been?

FNBADAZ06
29 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Be still my heart...It's Vic! :thumbs Where ya been?

Wassup, T-Buc !!!! I was asking about you during this Saturday's lunch.

Finally came out of the woodwork and drove the car to an ACE event :lol

Buccaneer

Thanks Vic. Is the Z running? If so, I can't wait to check it out. :thumbs I was going to go, but my son from CO came down and we did stuff together. Oh yeah, sorry Greg...we went to the range. Arrrrrrrrrrrr:pirate:

Desertdawg
15 hours ago, FNBADAZ06 said:

Do you even own or DRIVE a Vette anymore ?

Asking for a friend....... :P

I think I still own one,  Jammye drives it everyday. I walk past it to get to the work truck. 

FNBADAZ06
4 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

I think I still own one,  Jammye drives it everyday. I walk past it to get to the work truck. 

:lol

FNBADAZ06
11 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Thanks Vic. Is the Z running? If so, I can't wait to check it out. :thumbs I was going to go, but my son from CO came down and we did stuff together. Oh yeah, sorry Greg...we went to the range. Arrrrrrrrrrrr:pirate:

Yes sir, it is !!! It’s been up and running since last year but spent most of the time on John’s dyno in his garage. I brought it home to drive for the summer months.

5305A852-6E27-4D53-9D55-CD0E3E5EB74C.jpeg

E14D015F-B3FE-468C-B40A-1A2AD0BFB129.jpeg

Buccaneer

NICE! Would love to meet up and check it out sometime.

Also...Sorry for the thread HiJack! Why not keep the CF motor?

Chameleon
On 7/30/2022 at 2:30 PM, zpromax777 said:

I have the chance to get an 85 vette with a rebuilt eng and trans. I would like to yank the eng and trans out and put it in my 82. Will I be having issues with gauges and such. the 82 has a mechanical speedo so that is no problem. Any other problems other than taking all the ecm and wiring? Bottom line, GOOD IDEA OR BAD IDEA???

9 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Also...Sorry for the thread HiJack!   Why not keep the CF motor?

:withstupid Seriously, before you get into swapping engines, you might want to have a chat with Buccaneer.  He is very knowledgeable about the Crossfire.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your project!

Buccaneer

So, if you decide to swap out your 82 motor at a whooping 200hp to an 85 motor at another whooping 230hp, is it really worth the ass pain to get the 85 to run properly for another 30hp? If you want a bigger improvement than 200hp, go with the GM crate motor at 290hp, and keep your CFI system. I even have a tune for that motor to make it zooom and it is conservative. Unfortunately you will need to swap out your stock POS ECM for an EBL Flash II ECM which is much better, but it is a 100% plug-n-play ECM. I have a guy in SC with an 82 with that motor, keeping his CFI system and that tune and he loves it. Jus sayin'... :thumbs

• Upvote 1