Auto trans issue

HarleyPat

So my 2010 C6  is difficult if not impossible to shift into gear.  The shift lever doesn’t want to move out of park.  I can eventually get it in gear but any ideas as to why this is happening all of a sudden will be appreciated.

Yes Pat your shift from park micro switch is taking a poop. I just went thru this. I opted to remove my console, shifter boot and tie the shifting pawl back with a zip tie. I know some people will frown on that as I am removing a “safety” feature, but I’m just that kinda a guy….:lol You can google search this and come up with a million responses on what to do. 

I didn’t feel like replacing the switch, don’t know if you can buy them, don’t care, I just wanted to be able to shift when I wanted, tying the shifter pawl back will give you that ability. 

This situation will eventually strand you somewhere, just when you don’t want it to happen.

Thanks Ron! Have an appointment for Monday morning.  I’m just not handy enough to try this myself.  At least now I know what to expect.  :yourock:

• Upvote 1

It’s a $2 micro switch. I have 9 spares left over (10 per package) after replacing mine. 
Its not to hard to do, I have a thread about it. 

Thanks Dwayne! Figures a $2 micro switch is gonna cost me a bundle in labor.  No choice, just no mechanical skills! :fail:

Or do what I did and have them cut the damn pin!  No more problems.  You no doubt have the habit of always putting your foot on the brake when taking it out of park.  That's the safety feature you are deleting.

Except without the pin you or anyone else can bump or pull it out of park and away it rolls. 

Pat, this is what used to make ACE garage days, to bad it’s 100 and fiddly freaking degrees out now. 

17 hours ago, HarleyPat said:

Thanks Dwayne! Figures a $2 micro switch is gonna cost me a bundle in labor.  No choice, just no mechanical skills! :fail:

If they want to charge you a bundle to replace a $2 switch, I think we can get together a few people on a Tuesday morning before the geezer lunch and have a C6  A6 tech day. It shouldn't take much more than an hour IIRC.

In the meantime, here's a temporary solution. While in the driver's seat (engine running - foot on the brake), with the palm of your hand, sharply smack the shift knob from the 4 or 5 o'clock position toward the  10 or 11 o'clock position. The shock tends to bounce the lever enough to contact the switch. If successful, shift into whatever gear you want. If not, rinse and repeat.

Mine would unlock when I would very lightly tap the brake pedal several times in a row. The switch doesn’t fail completely. It’s an intermittent problem. So the rapid tapping would eventually cause it to work. 

Pat I could do the nasty on your shifter in about 30 minutes, I just did this in a hundred million degree garage. Let me know, as others have stated don’t spend hundreds of dollars to do this.:thumbs 

I agree with Tom we could do this over lunch. Easy peasy.  We are here for you brother.:thumbs 

Thanks guys! Very much appreciated but dealing with Susie’s health issues so need to get this done. Dropping it off Monday morning before the first of her Dr Appointments .  At least, because of your help, I will be going in armed with knowledge this time.  Thanks again! :yourock:

4 hours ago, Chameleon said:

^^^ what he said!

Donna made a funny. :LolLol: