Does anyone remember this racer?

JohnU

I'm at an auction in Minnesota today and come upon this old school racer from Phoenix.    Anyone remember this one?

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't remember the car or the speed shop, but I remember Ray Korte Chevrolet and have many fond memories of  "Mel Larson's Phoenix Drag Strip" - spent a lot of time out there as a teenager! 

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, Chameleon said:

I don't remember the car or the speed shop, but I remember Ray Korte Chevrolet and have many fond memories of  "Mel Larson's Phoenix Drag Strip" - spent a lot of time out there as a teenager! 

where was that? 

29 minutes ago, aenigma said:

where was that? 

Northwest of Phoenix, off of US60/Grand Avenue on the way to Wickenburg.  

In later years, known as "Speedworld." 

1 minute ago, Chameleon said:

Northwest of Phoenix, off of US60/Grand Avenue on the way to Wickenburg.  

In later years, known as "Speedworld." 

Ahhhh. I didn’t know it had a different name. 

Dammit, would someone wake up Tom??  I'm way curious here, he probably raced against it

33 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

Dammit, would someone wake up Tom??  I'm way curious here, he probably raced against it

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Tom was living here during those years...

On 6/6/2022 at 10:41 AM, Chameleon said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think Tom was living here during those years...

I first raced in AZ during the 1971 AHRA Winternationals at Beeline Dragway. Then left my racecar and trailer here, went back to Ohio, quit my job, sold nearly everything, packed up the rest and moved to Phoenix. I ran a lot at both Beeline and Mel Larsons, plus a couple times at Tucson Dragway until the early '80's. It wasn't until 2008 that I got back into racing again, but in all that time I don't remember that particular car, nor the name of that speed shop.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

I first raced in AZ during the 1971 AHRA Winternationals at Beeline Dragway. Then left my racecar and trailer here, went back to Ohio, quit my job, sold nearly everything, packed up the rest and moved to Phoenix. I ran a lot at both Beeline and Mel Larsons, plus a couple times at Tucson Dragway until the early '80's. It wasn't until 2008 that I got back into racing again, but in all that time I don't remember that particular car, nor the name of that speed shop.

Tom, that is awesome!  I spent a lot of time at both those tracks in the 70's, I probably saw you race and didn't know it!

Donna = racing groupie.  I bet you and that Marcia Brady hair brought all the boys to the yard

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Donna = racing groupie.  I bet you and that Marcia Brady hair brought all the boys to the yard.

^^^THIS^^^ :rolf

7 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Donna = racing groupie.  I bet you and that Marcia Brady hair brought all the boys to the yard.

^^^THIS^^^ :rolf

The only girl in auto shop class. . .

I was hitchhiking out to Beeline to watch the races before I had a license to drive. :smilelol

54 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

I was hitchhiking out to Beeline to watch the races before I had a license to drive. :smilelol

gurllll you have to make it to the track, watch, and I’ll count down the minutes until you end up in tech line. 😂

you can borrow my helmet. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chameleon said:

I can believe that! That's awesome actually. You would have fit into my group at a younger age nicely when we were racing at Milan Dragway, in Milan MI, Detroit Raceway and Norwalk in OH back in the day. Better get to the track like me before they close in Feb. This IS gonna suck having to go to Tucson just to blast down the track. Taking a quick trip to "Mexico" may be easier. :rolf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

I can believe that! That's awesome actually. You would have fit into my group at a younger age nicely when we were racing at Milan Dragway, in Milan MI, Detroit Raceway and Norwalk in OH back in the day. Better get to the track like me before they close in Feb. This IS gonna suck having to go to Tucson just to blast down the track. Taking a quick trip to "Mexico" may be easier. :rolf

i have a little faith watching the racers on Facebook work VERY hard at finding a track or investors to start a track. They’re being aggressive. 
Hauling to Tucson sucks and the da is so much worse. My car is at least 2 tenths+ slower. The track is awesome though. But if you’re like me, I’ll be at wildhorse with my new set up so I have a decent time slip before I don’t have another chance at a good da. 
I’ll bet wild horse will be packed this winter with people trying to get the last of their races in before we just have Tucson.