C5 muffler removal

Just Jim

Wanted to do some mods to my stock exhaust on '01 C5.  I disconnected the muffler pipe flanges from the mid pipe and removed the right (driver) side muffler and pipe no problem.  Right side is a bitch.  No matter how I turn it, pull it, push it, it won't come free.  The flange is hitting the transmission pan on one side and the frame on the other.  Watched some Youtube vids and boy, how easy they went in and out.  This one WON'T!  Forums say "cut it off" which I don't want to do.  Any ideas?

'01 base C5 hatchback, AT, stock exhaust.

You have to get the ass-end of the car WAYYYYY in the air to get the exhaust pipe bends to articulate and clear everything.  Pretty easy if you have access to a lift, but most do not.  Some folks have done some pretty sketchy stuff using a 4x4 piece of lumber with a couple floor jacks just to get the rear end higher in the air

Backend is high enough, left side came out fine, right side pipe binds up against the transmission or frame before manipulating comes close to touching floor.  Pics I've seen show manual transmission, looks smaller than the automatic transmission housing and pan.  Anyone with an automatic have trouble with the right side pipe & muffler removal?

Mine was an auto.  Once it was on the lift, in the air with the suspension unloaded, the shop had no issue removing the OEM without cutting it.  OEM Titanium exhaust threaded right back in, it was a quick job for the shop I took it too (no longer in existence)

If you read on Corvette Forum, most who did the DIY say the back end needs to be a good 3' off the ground in order to articulate everything

When I had mine done, they wound up cutting it. The car was definitely high enough too but the lift they used left the wheels and suspension compressed. The other lifts were occupied so I had no choice but to cut. I didn't didn't to keep them anyway. Mine's an auto also.