Me again!

rickety

1 hour ago, TheCMSH said:

I don't know about that Jim guy, hear he's kind of an a-hole  :jim:

...according to his avatar...:lol

old yeller

Since this thread got hijacked, it must be time for pictures of women with fish....

images.jpeg

LET THE GAMES BEGIN...:thumbs if ONE IS GOOD, TWO IS BETTER.

fish1.jpg

Desertdawg
4 hours ago, old yeller said:

of women with fish....

shame on you.  It’s supposed to be girls in bikinis with fish. 

:ken:   Ken

And I think I remember all of them, at least that’s what the voices keep telling me. 

1 hour ago, Chameleon said:

Same here...

Wasnt that Pete Gemma down in Tucson?  BP's buddy?

2 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Wasnt that Pete Gemma down in Tucson?  BP's buddy?

We may have a winner here...I believe you to be not wrong here.

I hope this isn't too racy for ACE - I know we're all getting a bit older now...

gma fish.jpg

• Haha 1

Boy oh boy you guys stole my thread!!!😛👍👙keep it up! Ok...gotta get back to what this thread was about.....took the vette for a drive. The turn signals stopped cancelling. First it made a funny sounding click when cancelling but did not cancel. From then on no sound whatsoever. I had to manually turn them off. I removed the upper part of the column to the turn signal switch. I can't find any problem. Screws are tight. Switch is mounted flat. It pivots. Springs are in place. Cancelling cam is fine. The switch & cancelling cam are new NOS. The only thing I can have any possible suspicion is the upper bearing preload cup. I can't find a picture for a C3 vette with tilt & telescoping anywhere. Maybe why I think my steering is too tight? Obviously I'm guessing. Anybody got some gas & a match?🚑

This place can get silly in the blink of an eye.

There is an outfit in south Phoenix that specializes in steering column rebuild and repair, cannot remember the name.  I don't think the  bearing would be bad unless you had some wiggle in the column, as I recall of older GM car there is a torque spec for all that so perhaps so maybe it is too tight?  My first thought is internal to the stalk, I have purchased aftermarket parts which went bad right out of the box

Sorry we aren't more help.  Have you posted this up on the big board yet?  Lots of knowledge there:   https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/

Hey Rick, I have a version of the Jim Shea steering guide(PDF) if you want to look through it to see if it helps. Shoot me an email from my site and I will send it to you. There is another one that I may still have somewhere, but will have to dig for it. There is also a place that does complete C3 column rebuilds, but I can't find the link right now. The big board may have that link, but you will have to do some searching for it I'm sure. BTW, I do hang out on the big board in the C3 section and the C4 at times. GL and I'm no help with this mechanical issue you are having unfortunately.

Thanks guys. I checked out Jim Shea yesterday but he doesn't have a picture of the preload bearing cup either. You would think it would be such a simple thing! I did find a picture of a preload bearing cup & currently for sale on eBay that is for multiple GM vehicles including corvettes up to 1979. Apparently like so many other parts 80-82 vette are "special". It's too hot to pull the whole steering column out again. I'll probably slap it back together so I can keep driving it for now

Hey let me know when either of you (or any current or previous 82 vette owner) will be attending a local show or coffee & cars & if you would drive my car to check the tight steering & let me know if I'm on drugs or not. 😋 I did see on a corvette forum that the person stated " (older) corvettes have power assist, not power steering. 🤔

Oh, that sucks. I thought maybe that would help. I'm done for any shows until this winter again. Way too hot for me. Keep in touch. BTW...I saw that ZIP corvette is selling the EBL as well, same as what you bought, but they want $1,099 for theirs. Also, the kicker is...that is MY HAM board (interface board) in that unit and MY stock 82/84 tune that they are selling. Go figure. :willy

Have you heard of Dr. Rebuild? He's a vette supplier since forever & ZIP used (stole) some of his products & sold as their own without his permission. He sued & won. I've heard of other stories about them & I'm not a fan of ZIP

FYI. I inverted the top bearing preload cup in the steering column. The tapered end up towards the spring & it fixed the too tight steering problem. 👍

• Upvote 2