HELLO AGAIN FROM TEXAS!!

chadmac99c5

chadmac99c5

HEY GUYS, JUST THINKING ABOUT YA'LL. AND HAD A QUESTION. I'TS BEEN 95-100 DEGREES HERE THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS, SINCE YOU GUYS LIVE IN THE LAND OF MASSIVE HEAT. MY OIL TEMPS ARE GETTING AROUND 225-237, COOLANT TEMP STAYS AROUND 195-205, ANY CONCERN THERE?? 2008 M6 WITH BIG CAM MOTOR, JUST CURIOUS IF ANY OF YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING A AFTERMARKET OIL COOLER, MINE DOES NOT HAVE <NON Z51>. I THINK THOSE TEMPS ARE OK JUST MAKES ME A LITTLE NERVOUS. THANKS IN ADVANCE. PS, MIGHT BE GETTING BACK OUT THERE FOR SOME GOLF LATER IN THE YEAR. WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME OF YA'LL.

Desertdawg

As best as I can remember, your numbers are decent.  
I think my oil temps stay below 225 but I do have the Z51 oil cooler. 

The safe temperature limit is, to some extent, dependent on the oil that you use. For example - conventional vs. synthetic, or the viscosity range. In 2018 GM changed the oil spec for the LT1 andLT4 from 5W-30 to 0W-40 for greater cold start and high temperature protection. The new oil is approved for use in earlier engines that originally called for 5W-30. Mobil 1 makes a 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil that meets all GM warranty requirements, though it can be hard to find. Over here, I get it from Freeway Chevrolet, I can't find it anywhere else (no parts stores, no other dealer). Note that they also make a 0W-40 "Euro Spec" that is not the same thing though it is easier to find. 

Here are links to a couple of useful pages from Mobil 1.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/about-us/mobil-1/mobil-1-performance-motor-oil/mobil-1-high-temperature-motor-oil-protection#:~:text=Mobil 1 advanced synthetic motor,up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. 

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-formula-0w-40/

IMG_7511.JPG