Electric Corvette

German

Mark Reuss (GM President) just announced an "electrified Corvette" for next year and a full electric to come. During the announcement they played a video clip of an all-wheel-drive Corvette on snow. Presumably this is the "electrified" (hybrid) Corvette.

Not equipped with any sound ;)

Seriously, that's great and all but I don't think I'm doing electric- on any level- I now have an excuse to stop buying cars.  Old enough where I have no need to worry about it.  Sound, the visceral experience and tinkering with mechanical things means more to me than a 0-60.

rjp

• Like 1

Ranjeet, I agree in general. I could live with an electric utility car (pickup, SUV, basic sedan) but not a sports car - that has to be gasoline and thunder. However, i recognize that there's a big market for these and a regulatory impetus, so we'll be seeing more and more of these announcements from sports car makers. How long before it's the 911? Given their other electric cars, I'm a bit surprised they haven't done it yet (or did I miss it?).

4 hours ago, old yeller said:

Not equipped with summer only tires?

Joe - maybe that's why it's sliding so much! Seriously, show this ad to a normal person and they'll say: "If a professional driver can't make it go straight, it must be dangerous and impossible to drive." I tend to agree, I like the rear wheels following the fronts along the same arc.

All manufacturers do snow testing, it’s perfect for testing traction control and antilock brakes as well as directional control. 
Plus it looks good spinning all over the place.

Here’s Nikola testing their electric semi recently. 

Nitrobrother

I agree with youse guys: A sports car should be ICE-propelled.  I'm very curious about Porsche's synthetic fuel program - but it's going to take a lot to make it affordable.  BMW has been doing a lot with hydrogen-powered cars, too.  The US companies seem to be embracing a battery-powered world.  I don't see the need - nor do I have the space - for an electric vehicle. 

It's way too late in my lifetime to be concerned with different power sources, unless they negatively affect the ones I currently use.