1976 Corvette Project

Tim

I'm looking for my next project and I liked to find a C2 or C3.  I found a C3 on the east coast but wasn't getting much help for the seller (don't have pics of undercarriage, what you see is what you get) he specialize selling Corvette Projects.

So I back looking for a Running/Drive-able project.

Thanks Tim

• 2 months later...

I pick up my C3 project tomorrow. Driving it down from Mesa.  1976 Stingray - L48.  It's gonna need a lot of work!!!

Pics tomorrow...

Here are a few pics.  Drove her down from Mesa.  The car runs fantastically!!  Temp stayed around 200 and oil pressure was perfect.   It has a cam upgrade with Edelbrock Performer intake and 4bbl carb.  It has more power than I thought it would.  I have no specs on the cam.  It was completed prior to the guy I bought it from.

Lots of things to work on.  Interior needs a LOT of help.  The frame is perfect, the bird cage is only minor rust near the dash.  I'll be picking your collective brains and looking for parts.

New exhaust from the Y back ( I was surprised to not see true dual exhaust...but that'll change), new rear leaf spring and control arms/bushings..

This is the car I grew up (the 1960s and 1970s) wanting.  I had my 1984 C4 and my 2007 C6 but this is the one.

Vin breakdown.

1Z37L6S437939

1=Chevy
Z = Corvette
37 = Coupe
L= L48 (engine)L48 (350 cid, 180 hp)
6= 1976
S=St. Louis Plant
437939 = Production number

I'll be posting videos later - on Facebook and my blog and Youtube.

IMG_20220618_111219909_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220618_111225383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220618_111409118_HDR.jpg

Your car looks great and sounds like a grand project.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Yeah, what Dave said. Can’t wait to see the progress pictures. 

12 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Yeah, what Dave said. Can’t wait to see the progress pictures. 

^^^^  :withstupid

13 hours ago, Tim said:

Sadly No!!!  Horn either!!!  :nopity

We can end this topic...since it's really 1976.

Shall we end it?  Or shall we change the title to "1976 Corvette Project" and you can share all your progress here. . .? 

If you are still seeing 1978...Flush your browser cache and try again. :thumbs

• Upvote 1

It’s clear that the build sheet/inventory sheet are not available for #ProjectSR76.

With some inquiries on FaceBook I found free downloads of Corvette Brochure for 1976. 

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com

There’s a section called "What You Can Add" which list all the option available.

Here's a screen shot:

Add-Ons-1.jpg

I put together a list as the car exists now.  Here are the Add-Ons:

Power breaks
Power Steering
Power Windows
Four Season A/c (missing compressor)
Tilt-Telescoping steering
AM/FM (two types - don't know which one- there's an old Walmart AM/FM cassette crammed in its place)
Two rear speakers
Fixed Height Antenna
4 Speed Wide Ratio Trans*
wheels are 15"x8"
Anti-theft alarm
Luggage carrier
Dual Horns

I don't know how to identify the Gymkhana suspension. The description is above, but that's really no help. I'm assuming it was the forerunner to the Z51 but that's just a guess.

I know it started out with the L48 - which has been modified.  I can check for numbers matching - if that was a thing for Corvette.

The wheels, if original, are steel with wide chrome rings and center caps.

IMG_20220622_081344726.jpg

I'll continue looking for a supplier of the window sticker/build sheet.

Tim

I LOVE that one of the "Dealer Installed Accessories" is a "Light Duty Trailer Hitch." :P

I owned a 1976 Vette back in the late 80's.  I had a hitch installed on it.  That Vette very capably pulled a loaded U-Haul trailer from Los Angeles to Nacogdoches Texas. :thumbs

Those wheels look original?  Here is a pic of mine.  Sorry for the poor quality (30 year-old scanned pic, LOL!)

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.47b24ccbb0a8bbe68760107905715263.jpg

• Like 1

Link worked for me :thumbs

I think you're going to have to paint all those plastic pieces, just too far gone

11 hours ago, Tim said:

Does it work for you all just putting the link here?

Sure!  As long as the links work, we're good!  :thumbs

3 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

I think you're going to have to paint all those plastic pieces, just too far gone

:withstupid it looks to me like the dirt/stain is so stuck in the texture it will be almost impossible to get out.

However, have you tried testing a spot with 100% Simple Green and letting it sit for a while before scrubbing with a soft brush?  That stuff can sometimes work miracles. . .if there's any "greasy" aspect to the dirt a drop of Dawn dish soap directly on the spot along with the Simple Green can be a winning combo.