Stumped with my 1982. Again.....

rickety

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to be detailed. Fuel pump died last September & I upgraded to the GM EP241. Also installed a new fuel filter. Car never ran as good as it did with that pump. Four months later the car quit on me & towed it home. Buckineer? (sorry spelling?) informed me check the fuel pressure checked between the throttle bodies. Last week I bought a fuel pressure gauge kit & checked the pressure. The car would start & run for approx. 10-15 seconds & quit. Each time the gauge read zero. A couple times I saw the needle bounce. I just installed another new GM EP241. I bench tested it first & I put a little restriction on the hose after the gauge & it showed 30psi. I put in the new pump & another new fuel filter. The car runs & sounds fine even giving it throttle for an extended amount of time. Runs gine BUT I'm still not getting fuel pressure between the throttle bodies. I haven't road tested it because I don't trust it. Can anybody give me an idea of what's going on? 

Tom aka buccaneer is the cross fire guru.

When he sees this, I am sure he will help you out.

OK, no pressure and it runs is impossible. Where you located in the valley? I have what I call the hit-n-run kit and can check a few things out and let you know what's gong on with your CF. Let me know and hope you are not way out in the west valley. :smilelol

Laveen isn't that far west, especially with the 202 Loop now open (as several eastside ACE peeps have told me "it's a nice cruise west now". . .)  

Tom, you should check it out! :P

West is like Goodyear or Buckeye. . . just saying'. . .:smilelol

1 hour ago, Chameleon said:

Laveen isn't that far west, especially with the 202 Loop now open (as several eastside ACE peeps have told me "it's a nice cruise west now". . .)  

Tom, you should check it out! :P

West is like Goodyear or Buckeye. . . just saying'. . .:smilelol

Donna...Tempe is the westside for me, it is west of Gilbert. Jus sayin'. :rolf

Rickety, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll see when I can come on over this week. My schedule is kind of full at the moment.

• Haha 1

I had to purchase a car hauler because of this car! I can bring it to you & we wouldn't even need to unload it!

I bench tested this pump before installing it using the same gauge & fittings that I use to pressure test between the throttle bodies. Bench test showed 30 psi with me restricting the hose so it wasn't free flowing.

Sounds like it could be a restriction in the fuel line. Take off the filter and disconnect what else you can. Then blow compressed air though all the lines. I know of more than one occasion that stuff clogging fuel lines would allow a little fuel to flow until the clog swelled up enough to stop the flow and stop the engine.

10 hours ago, rickety said:

I had to purchase a car hauler because of this car! I can bring it to you & we wouldn't even need to unload it!

Call me tomorrow... four eight zero two six nine one three two seven.

Tom came all the way to Gila Bend once to help with my 82.
I think he packed a suitcase and applied for a change of address he thought it was so far from home. 

Talked with Rich today and plan on going over tomorrow and check out his 82 issue. We shall see...:thumbs

• Upvote 1

OK, so I went over to Rich's and it didn't take long to figure out what was going on. There was an issue with the 20amp fuse in the battery box which was not letting the ECM energize the fuel pump, hence no fuel pressure. It had spark and would crank, no start. Put my FPG on the TBs and cranked it up. Only 9psi at idle, not good enough for sure when you are only working with a range on a stock motor of 9-13psi which is GM spec.

Since I did not know how old the diaphragm was in the regulated side TB and he had a rebuild kit handy, I pulled the TB apart and replaced the diaphragm and gaskets. Also while apart, I knocked out the plate that GM put in the regulator to keep people from externally adjusting the fuel pressure when needed. Dumb idea GM. :rolleyes

Put it all back together and fired it up. Used my fuel pressure tool and externally adjusted the fuel pressure to 13psi, high side GM spec which will now let it pull to redline in every gear like it's supposed to do. Idle came down and idled pretty good actually. I also checked his TPS sensor voltage that was high and readjusted that back to where it needs to be...ran great. He does have worn TB shafts and will need to be bushed at some point. I also noticed that his balance is also off a tad on the TBs, passenger side TB throttle plate was not moving at the same rate as the drivers side TB. Also noticed that his electric fan was always running with the key ON. Something to look at and is wired hot vs not going through the temp sensor for some reason. Other than that, it idles nicely, job done!

Another CF back on the road. :thumbs After he fixes the TB shafts and re-balances the TBs it should run like a champ. Rich and his wife are nice people as well...Did I get that right Rich?  :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I would like to think we are nice people!! 😇😂 I can't thank you enough for your time (& patience) to get this baby happy again! I now have incentive again to continue improving its performance.

Thanks again Tom!!👍

• Like 1

Rich, saw the order come through, thanks. See you Thursday, address on paper I gave you. I will txt you the other number we talked about today as well. :thumbs