Devil's Highway OVERNIGHT Cruise April 22-23

Chameleon

On April 22nd and 23rd I am cruising up north to run the Devil's Highway. :devil  

If you are not familiar with this road, it is the old US 666 (now Highway 191) also known as the "Coronado Trail." It runs between Alpine and Clifton, and is about 90 miles of some of the most technical driving available in this state. This is NOT a high-speed drive, but if you enjoy twisty two-lanes, off-camber corners and spectacular scenery, this is a great road. :driving:  Passengers, bring Dramamine! :ack 

I am leaving mid-morning on the 22nd and driving to Eagar for the night. The 23rd I'll run the highway, and be back home that night. This is about a 600 mile trip, split 250/350 between the two days.

The route is a loop, Phoenix/Payson/Heber/Show Low/McNary/Eagar/Alpine/Clifton/Safford/Phoenix.

I'm staying at the Best Western in Eagar on the 22nd.

http://bestwesternarizona.com/hotels/best-western-sunrise-inn

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to come along; post up here if you're interested.

Meet points and further details will be posted up if there is interest (if not, I’m going anyway!) :P

IN:

theChad (2)

Vette R & D (2)

Randy & Trish (2)

MEET POINT/TIME:
Chevron station, southeast corner of Beeline (Hwy 87) and Ft. McDowell Road.

Drive through the fuel islands, and bear left into the parking lot on the side of the building.

10180 North Fort McDowell Road

Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

Food, drinks, fuel, restrooms available.
9:30 a.m. meet for a prompt  10:00 a.m. departure.

17 minutes ago, roneva said:

That's a great drive and I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than the Blue Ridge Pkwy drive you have planned for later in the year.

:lol   Actually, I seriously doubt that. I have done the Devil's Highway many times, both in a Corvette and on a motorcycle.  Really looking forward to the Blue Ridge Parkway, getting to ride a road I've never been on before that's a two-lane with spectacular scenery.  I know I'm going to go to Corvette hell for saying this but, as much as I love my Corvette, I will take a road trip on my touring bike over going anywhere in the Corvette, any day. :bolt:

We’re in this year! Been wanting to do this one for a few years, and theWife has it off also. I’ll get a room booked soon. 

1 hour ago, theChad said:

We’re in this year! Been wanting to do this one for a few years, and theWife has it off also. I’ll get a room booked soon. 

:ACE:

There is a decent restaurant adjacent to the hotel, and a Basha's grocery store next door.  We stop in Show Low for lunch on the way up.  I sometimes don't eat dinner because I'm still full from lunch.  :P  I am often up for an evening adult libations however...:markdrink:

Debating should we do Devils Highway up to Eagar or AZ 87 & Us 60.   Mary is not a fan of Devils Highway ( isn't once enough ) I don't think so. Liquid dinner works for us :P

10 hours ago, geoWorm said:

Debating should we do Devils Highway up to Eagar or AZ 87 & Us 60.   Mary is not a fan of Devils Highway ( isn't once enough ) I don't think so. Liquid dinner works for us :P

Running the Devil's Highway northbound will give you the thrill of both directions.  Maybe bring Dramamine for Mary!

An alternative is the loop just over in New Mexico up Hwy 78 to US 180 that will bring you in to Eagar.  That is a nice drive as well.

If you come up AZ 87 & US 60, you can cruise with the rest of us, we'll be stopping for lunch in Show Low.  

Your choice! 

On 2/13/2022 at 8:56 AM, Chameleon said:

Running the Devil's Highway northbound will give you the thrill of both directions.  Maybe bring Dramamine for Mary!

An alternative is the loop just over in New Mexico up Hwy 78 to US 180 that will bring you in to Eagar.  That is a nice drive as well.

If you come up AZ 87 & US 60, you can cruise with the rest of us, we'll be stopping for lunch in Show Low.  

Your choice! 

What time is lunch in Show Low?  You can count us in.

11 hours ago, geoWorm said:

What time is lunch in Show Low?  You can count us in.

There isn't a set time for the lunch, it's just "when we get there."  

Usually around 12:30 - 1:00, depending on traffic, and how long we linger at our comfort stops on the way up. 

If you plan to meet us there rather than join for the drive up, let me know and we'll coordinate something when the time comes. 

• 1 month later...
Randy Stone

We want to go, but no accessible rooms available for 4/22 at Best Western. El Jo Motor Inn has a Accessible room available, just don't know the place or area. Looking to find out more tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Randy Stone said:

We want to go, but no accessible rooms available for 4/22 at Best Western. El Jo Motor Inn has a Accessible room available, just don't know the place or area. Looking to find out more tomorrow.

I am not familiar with this motel, but it appears to have decent reviews.

The location is fine, you'd be maybe 5 minutes away from the rest of us.  

• 3 weeks later...

Mary & Payton are going to bail on this run.  We have both been with head colds since last week and we want to be 100% for the Route 66 Fun Run.

Mary just canceled our room at the Best Western.

Cheers

Payton

12 hours ago, geoWorm said:

Mary & Payton are going to bail on this run.  We have both been with head colds since last week and we want to be 100% for the Route 66 Fun Run.

Mary just canceled our room at the Best Western.

Cheers

Payton

Thanks for the update.  You will be missed.  Get well soon! 

This was a great cruise, although we lost one of our number the first day. . .

We were originally four cars on this cruise. 

On Friday, eastbound out of Payson, theChad experienced a very strange and significant “handling wiggle” with theVette.  We all pulled over, he checked it out, nothing obviously amiss was evident. . .

We cautiously drove on to our comfort stop in Overgaard, at which point we all DID notice something amiss with theVette:  

Hmmmm, something’s definitely not right here. . .

20220422_132439.thumb.jpg.9255566c646aa3c5417393a69d2087bb.jpg20220422_132432.thumb.jpg.c8f6a4282c6d06e54994371f1197dcc3.jpg

Long story short, the front bolt on the upper control arm of the right rear wheel had gone AWOL. 

Chad diagnosed the issue, Ron (Vette R&D) produced a jack, and, although neither NAPA nor the Show Low Chevy dealer had the necessary bolt, Chad was able to obtain a non-hardened one from a local Ace Hardware to put things back together.  In the absence of the correct (hardened) bolt, Chad wisely decided the twisties of the Devil’s Highway were not to be enjoyed this trip, and returned safely home.

20220422_134551.thumb.jpg.fd08d0580792ebd774fc88e87d361432.jpg20220422_134600.thumb.jpg.6495c5bf563bce37d97ccc374ed1593a.jpg20220422_135107.thumb.jpg.8d08ff5bda72c5546d6bbc86a5201c96.jpg20220422_135112.thumb.jpg.d98c5fbafd042580a361b2e4788627c0.jpg

I must share how impressed I was with the way this was handled – in spite of a broken car, repair challenges and definitely disappointment of not being able to continue on the cruise, both theChad and theWife handled the entire incident with patience, grace and good humor.  You guys rock!!!!  :yourock:

The remaining three of us continued on to Eagar where, in spite of blustery winds and chilly temps, we had a nice evening. 

Today we cruised the Devil’s Highway southbound and had lunch in Safford (at Jerry’s, recommended if you are in the area), and then on home. . .

20220423_085610.thumb.jpg.cdfd857d37ef69bde9f642cdbc18d7b7.jpg

I know other pics were taken, hopefully more will be posted up here when time permits!

• Like 1

Randy Stone

Trish and I had a great time on the Devil's Highway Cruise. A big thank you to Donna for putting this cruise together and showing the way. This is Donna rar'n to go.

20220423_085729.jpg

And this is Donna, leaving us all in the dust!image.thumb.jpeg.e28d7a64bb37b7b9cbac05355043f4d8.jpeg