Z06 93 Octane Requirement

Gersty13

Hello all, I am new to the forum and also a 1st time Vette owner. I just bought my 1st Vette after waiting almost 50 years to buy my dream car. Anyway, my car is a 2017 Z06 Callaway and the manual says "Requires 93 Octane but can use 91 as an option, but will reduce performance etc". Well we all know AZ only sells 91 at the pump. I have found 2 places (SD & Chandler) that we can buy 95 or 100 octane locally. That is fine, but what do all of you do for road trips to CA or Colorado? I have done a lot of research and all of the octane boosters contain MMT which will coat the plugs, convertor etc. The manual also states to not use any additive containing MMT. Does anyone use octane boosters such as Boostane, Lucas Oil, VP racing etc? 

I have a ZR1 and my car runs fine on 91 Octane. The engine doesn't knock under heavy acceleration or anything, you'll be fine with 91.

I haven't had any problems with 91 in my Z06 (LT4). If the timing is cut back to prevent detonation, it isn't something I'm ever going to notice. Traction, not horsepower is the limiting factor with the C7.

The question is, what HP is your Callaway?

If it’s a big HP car and your over the 91 octane limit you will have to bring it to me for further testing. 
I won’t charge for this service but it will cost you a set of rear tires. 

16oz of Torco with 10 gal of 91 will bump it to 95. Or just add 8oz to get to 93 oct.

www.torco.com  or try Eric at 480-717-9937 or eric@torcoproducts.com

I'd suggest running your current fuel down to the low fuel light + 10 miles, before adding a blend.

Blend the fuel BEFORE adding it to the car.

I use Chevron 91 oct whenever possible. I also don't use Torco unless I'm headed to the dragstrip and I've adjusted my tune appropriately.

Don't know where in the valley you live, but LOVE'S station over by the track (Wildhorse Pass) has Sunoco 260GT unleaded, 100 octane at the pump if you need or want to use a higher octane gas. Have no clue what the price is for that right now, but I always got my gas there when going to the track. I personally don't like using Torco, even though I have used it in the past a lot. It WILL leave a brown/orange(ish) color/residue on your plugs from the additive they use. It will still work OK though, but don't like the plug color thing. Race gas is better overall IMO, but that's just me. GL with your search.

6 hours ago, Gersty13 said:

Thanks for the info guys! Desertdawg, mine is a Callaway 757;) 

Sawwweeeet !!! :thumbs 

I filled a 5 gal can of 100 octane unleaded at the Love's station by the track yesterday and for anyone wanting to know, it was $7.99 gal for either Sunoco GT260 100 unleaded or the 110 octane leaded.

EDIT: Here is the pump at Love's. Looks like somebody filled a 55 gal drum full...Damn!

20220127_221127.jpg

10 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

I filled a 5 gal can of 100 octane unleaded at the Love's station by the track yesterday and for anyone wanting to know, it was $7.99 gal for either Sunoco GT260 100 unleaded or the 110 octane leaded.

EDIT: Here is the pump at Love's. Looks like somebody filled a 55 gal drum full...Damn!

20220127_221127.jpg

Ka= ching!

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed that my C8 is pinging on Costco 91.  Didn't notice it until about a month ago.  I added a bottle of 104 to a little over half a tank and the pinging went away.  I ran the tank down to around 25 miles to empty and filled it with Chevron 91 today.  We'll see if that cures the issue. But s%$t, I paid $4.77/gal for it.

36 minutes ago, Dave64 said:

I just noticed that my C8 is pinging on Costco 91.  Didn't notice it until about a month ago.  I added a bottle of 104 to a little over half a tank and the pinging went away.  I ran the tank down to around 25 miles to empty and filled it with Chevron 91 today.  We'll see if that cures the issue. But s%$t, I paid $4.77/gal for it.

See above at $7.99 a gallon for race gas. Ugh!  Mine runs great on 100. LMFAO:smilelol

• Haha 1