new emissions exempt law info anyone?

Guest 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

Hey all! Has anyone heard anything about the collector car exemption laws coming on board in AZ. I'm referring to the recent news that the EPA, or whoever, approved such a measure for AZ but there is no laws currently on the books.

I was at MVD in the last two days and nobody there has heard anything.

A lucky break for me!:

When I ordered custom plates for my 'vette and dakota a couple of years ago MVD put 1FASTC4 on my dakota and FSHNBUM on my 'vette. I went to MVD at the time to correct this but they told me the only way to switch them would be to sell the vehicles, retain the personal plates, then buy the vehicles back while assigning each plate to the appropriate vehicle. As rediculous as it sounds, this was their rule and they were resolute.

While at MVD to register a couple of my work vans yesterday, I asked the information desk clerk again, just for the heck of it, about switching custom plates around on my 'vette and dakota. This time around he said "No problem, it costs $12.00 per plate." Ya baby! So, I went to the window when my number was called and did just that. It took two clerks(they were both really nice) to figure out how to do it in the system but they got it done.

The clerk told me I would have to pay for the registration on the expired vette tags. I said "No problem"

Then she looked at my registration and in her system and said, "oh no, wait a sec. You have an emission test required on the corvette in order to register the car, we can't switch the plate until you it passes emissions."

Knowing full well that my car will now never pass emissions(mods), and that indeed it was my year to be tested,(I just wanted to switch the plates) I said "What ??!" I was referring only to the fact that they couldn't switch my plates. A watching supervisor overheard and walked over to inquire what the problem was. The clerk pointed out the emission requirement on her monitor and again said she couldn't switch the plates without the emission test. Again, referring to the fact that they couldn't switch the plates and not about the emission test I said in a disappointed voice,"Aww, that's not right."

The supervisor thought I was talking about having to be tested so he told the clerk, "That's always wrong in there(their computer). Change it to next year."

So, my vette, which couldn't even come close to passing emissions, is now legally registered w/ 1FASTC4!

Always amazes me some of the things they can do and others that they seem to f'up. Having worked Auto Theft for 7yrs I could tell you some real major F'UP stories. I'm talking people getting the vehicles seized because of MVD.

Not to hijack the thread but 6 yrs ago I took my youngest son to MVD for his DL. We had gone the night before and practiced the 3pt turn and parrallel parking. First thing they put him through is the 3pt turn. He hits one of the cones and knocks it over. The examiner tells him he failed and he'll have to come back. Sends us inside to get a waiver of the written. When we approach the clerk he tells the kid to step over and get his pic taken. After he got the pic I questioned what he was doing and told him we were there for a waiver. He says "ah shit!" "oh well, its easier to just give him the license than remove it from the computer". Bottom line the kid never took the behind the wheel part of the test. Thank God Dad was a cop and was probably tougher than any examiner could be.

Guest 1FASTC4
Wow some good things can happen at the DMV :D

:bs he got lucky

It was definitely all luck. It's nice to get lucky once in a while though, right?

Moving my plate (ETMYDST) from the 82 to the 98 took 3 people, 1 hour, and $12.00

I got out of there without cuffs on. I consider myself lucky...

Hey all! Has anyone heard anything about the collector car exemption laws coming on board in AZ. I'm referring to the recent news that the EPA, or whoever, approved such a measure for AZ but there is no laws currently on the books.

I was at MVD in the last two days and nobody there has heard anything.

A lucky break for me!:

When I ordered custom plates for my 'vette and dakota a couple of years ago MVD put 1FASTC4 on my dakota and FSHNBUM on my 'vette. I went to MVD at the time to correct this but they told me the only way to switch them would be to sell the vehicles, retain the personal plates, then buy the vehicles back while assigning each plate to the appropriate vehicle. As rediculous as it sounds, this was their rule and they were resolute.

While at MVD to register a couple of my work vans yesterday, I asked the information desk clerk again, just for the heck of it, about switching custom plates around on my 'vette and dakota. This time around he said "No problem, it costs $12.00 per plate." Ya baby! So, I went to the window when my number was called and did just that. It took two clerks(they were both really nice) to figure out how to do it in the system but they got it done.

The clerk told me I would have to pay for the registration on the expired vette tags. I said "No problem"

Then she looked at my registration and in her system and said, "oh no, wait a sec. You have an emission test required on the corvette in order to register the car, we can't switch the plate until you it passes emissions."

Knowing full well that my car will now never pass emissions(mods), and that indeed it was my year to be tested,(I just wanted to switch the plates) I said "What ??!" I was referring only to the fact that they couldn't switch my plates. A watching supervisor overheard and walked over to inquire what the problem was. The clerk pointed out the emission requirement on her monitor and again said she couldn't switch the plates without the emission test. Again, referring to the fact that they couldn't switch the plates and not about the emission test I said in a disappointed voice,"Aww, that's not right."

The supervisor thought I was talking about having to be tested so he told the clerk, "That's always wrong in there(their computer). Change it to next year."

So, my vette, which couldn't even come close to passing emissions, is now legally registered w/ 1FASTC4!

So what will you do next year when it comes time to re-register your car? If you cannot pass emissions that is.

He might go in to switch his plates around again and get the dekota tested instead and then get them switched back. :)

Guest 1FASTC4
So what will you do next year when it comes time to re-register your car? If you cannot pass emissions that is.

Bah! Always looking on the dark side, you are. By then, in place the new emissions exempt law will be. you see? hmmmmmm?

Bah! Always looking on the dark side, you are. By then, in place the new emissions exempt law will be. you see? hmmmmmm?

yoda.jpg

lol

nice

:cool