Trusted Corvette shop in NW valley?

MikeC5Z

Hello everyone. Just picked up a new to me 2002 C5z with 28k miles and LOVE it. I know I will have some issues along the way and will need some help (noticed a drop of oil under the rear of the car this morning…). 
Can anyone give me the name of a repair shop they trust in the NW valley? 

Thank you for the suggestions!

774262E2-4354-4419-9A06-D49B65A660E4.jpeg

If you're not in a hurry, I can give you an answer in the next several days. I currently have my '08 in a shop near I-17 and Pinnacle Peak to do several things and I'll post a report on the forum as to how well they did and how fair the pricing was. Previously, they did a 4 tire mount/balance (they're listed as a premium vendor for Tirerack) and an oil change. I was happy enough to trust them again.

• 1 month later...

Oops!

Got the car back from a rotor and pads change plus a steering and brake fluid flush and forgot to report that they did well and had fair pricing. I'd go back again if I needed something else.

www.modautoshop.com

602-743.9029

Ask for Wilson and mention Tom Pfeifer and ACE

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

UPDATE !!!!!!     BEWARE

Returned to have a tire puncture fixed. Left it and waited for a call that it was done. I wasn't in a hurry and had 3 other vehicles to drive. In the meantime, while I was doing other stuff to the C6 that they had recently done the brakes, I noticed a missing lugnut. When I finally got a call to pick up the tire I'd left 7 days previously, I mentioned the missing lugnut and asked them to look around for it.  I put on a plain lugnut and got the torque wrench to tighten it and naturally proceeded to tighten/check the other 4. None of them were even near 100 ft lbs. I went to check the other 3 wheels and found lugnuts ranging from a low of 45 ft lbs to a high of 80 ft lbs. Of course, I brought them all up to spec. Because the car still had heavy steering and I had asked and paid for a power steering fluid flush, I checked my service manuals to see what the procedure was before I went to pick up the tire. The owner/partner wasn't there, but the manager said he'd leave a message for him to call me. When I got home with the repaired tire, the custom valve stem cap was missing and the pressure was only 27 PSI.

A week later I just dropped in mid-day and the owner/partner hadn't even looked at the note on his desk. Claimed to be real busy and that they had a problem with their torque wrench and bought a new one. Also claimed both the lugnut and the valve stem cap weren't on when I brought the car in for service. To top it off, said their certified master mechanic always

checks the procedures on some unknown website before working on a car. I told him the correct procedures were only in the GM service manuals, because they were specific to '08 thru '13 Vettes only and that's why I had left the manuals on the passenger seat. He apparently didn't care, so I left and will never go back.

They lost my trust. End of story. 

7 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

UPDATE !!!!!!     BEWARE

Returned to have a tire puncture fixed. Left it and waited for a call that it was done. I wasn't in a hurry and had 3 other vehicles to drive. In the meantime, while I was doing other stuff to the C6 that they had recently done the brakes, I noticed a missing lugnut. When I finally got a call to pick up the tire I'd left 7 days previously, I mentioned the missing lugnut and asked them to look around for it.  I put on a plain lugnut and got the torque wrench to tighten it and naturally proceeded to tighten/check the other 4. None of them were even near 100 ft lbs. I went to check the other 3 wheels and found lugnuts ranging from a low of 45 ft lbs to a high of 80 ft lbs. Of course, I brought them all up to spec. Because the car still had heavy steering and I had asked and paid for a power steering fluid flush, I checked my service manuals to see what the procedure was before I went to pick up the tire. The owner/partner wasn't there, but the manager said he'd leave a message for him to call me. When I got home with the repaired tire, the custom valve stem cap was missing and the pressure was only 27 PSI.

A week later I just dropped in mid-day and the owner/partner hadn't even looked at the note on his desk. Claimed to be real busy and that they had a problem with their torque wrench and bought a new one. Also claimed both the lugnut and the valve stem cap weren't on when I brought the car in for service. To top it off, said their certified master mechanic always

checks the procedures on some unknown website before working on a car. I told him the correct procedures were only in the GM service manuals, because they were specific to '08 thru '13 Vettes only and that's why I had left the manuals on the passenger seat. He apparently didn't care, so I left and will never go back.

They lost my trust. End of story. 

Well, CRAP!  :cuss

This is a great example of the ONLY thing I don't like about owning a Corvette.

My knowledge, tools and physical abilities are limited.  I do what I can, but a lot of stuff (even if I understand the repair or maintenance process) I must take to others for the work.  

It's just a stock Corvette.  Nothing fancy, doesn't need "speed shop" level gurus.  Despite that, there is no automotive shop anywhere in this entire valley I trust to work on my car, because it's too new for Vintage Iron to touch.

. . . maybe I should buy a C3 . . . :lol

29 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

Well, CRAP!  :cuss

This is a great example of the ONLY thing I don't like about owning a Corvette.

My knowledge, tools and physical abilities are limited.  I do what I can, but a lot of stuff (even if I understand the repair or maintenance process) I must take to others for the work.  

It's just a stock Corvette.  Nothing fancy, doesn't need "speed shop" level gurus.  Despite that, there is no automotive shop anywhere in this entire valley I trust to work on my car, because it's too new for Vintage Iron to touch.

. . . maybe I should buy a C3 . . . :lol

I couldn't get past them claiming their torque wrench failed, as if they only had one and installed each lugnut to full spec on the first pass . If true, once they discovered/recognized the failure, the smart and logical choice would have been to contact all the recent customers to offer a free recheck.

Don't bet on "speed shops" for excellent work, as when I had a time crunch years ago, I'd asked the "ACE rec'd shop of the day" to finish the last bit of a TC swap I had not quite completed. They called Joyce after she'd driven the car home, that the mechanic hadn't finished tightening the LR lugnuts. At least the nuts were on far enough to keep the wheel on the hub. A couple days later, I spotted trans fluid all over the back end of the car and found they had added lots of fluid to fill the trans clear to the top, because they didn't know the correct way to check the level.

If I had the strength I had a couple years ago, I would do everything myself, because now I have the time.

Sorry for the rant. :rant

• Like 1

I found a tech at a GM shop who bypassed half the bleeders on a brake fluid flush.   I challenged with pages from the factory manual.  I asked management what the GM sign meant on the building if the techs don't abide by GM procedures but follow quick lube house practices.  Another customer lost.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, HOXXOH said:

I couldn't get past them claiming their torque wrench failed, as if they only had one and installed each lugnut to full spec on the first pass . If true, once they discovered/recognized the failure, the smart and logical choice would have been to contact all the recent customers to offer a free recheck.

Don't bet on "speed shops" for excellent work, as when I had a time crunch years ago, I'd asked the "ACE rec'd shop of the day" to finish the last bit of a TC swap I had not quite completed. They called Joyce after she'd driven the car home, that the mechanic hadn't finished tightening the LR lugnuts. At least the nuts were on far enough to keep the wheel on the hub. A couple days later, I spotted trans fluid all over the back end of the car and found they had added lots of fluid to fill the trans clear to the top, because they didn't know the correct way to check the level.

If I had the strength I had a couple years ago, I would do everything myself, because now I have the time.

Sorry for the rant. :rant

Don't apologize for the rant. I could do an even longer rant about that same "speed shop." Their "expertise" literally ruined my beautiful 2001 C5 Z51 Coupe, that resulted in me ultimately getting rid of it because I couldn't trust it anymore. Horrible experience!  Lots of money and a fabulous car lost.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, joe@cpr.com said:

Just say it, it was loud pedal :lol

Oh. . . is it no longer "too soon" ???? 

I didn't get the memo. . . :smilelol