Possessed Headlight

AWIZRD

'01 with possessed headlight on driver's side....Turn the headlights on and we get popup and light. Now the fun part. When you turn the lights off, both lights drop and shut off, but the driver's side pops up/pops down 3-4 times and then it will drop and stay down until the next time the lights are turned on again.

Thoughts?

Thx

Get out your owners manual or look up online:  Go into your DIC (its all about your DIC yanno) and set your headlights to come on automatically, believe that is to toggle "twilight" setting to on.  This takes the headlight switch on the turn signal/headlight stalk out of the equation

If things work normally on twilight, now you've eliminated something binding in the headlight motor or wonky in the electrical connection for the motor.  Headlight motors when closed trigger the system to leave them closed because there is a certain resistance in the motor circuit.  

Just a hunch, you have a contact inside the turn signal stalk losing tension and not making consistent contact and when you shut off the lights there's some arcing and you're getting your up/down condition

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TheCMSH - Went thought the screens of the DIC and did not find any Twilight setting - Not much to look through...Language, Approach, Alarm - Will take a look at the stalk next. That being said, if there was a short in the stalk, would it not affect both lights? This only happens on the driver's side.

Another interesting piece that may help...On the drivers side, i can press on the cover and it appears like I could manually open it (didn't try though) - On the passenger side it will not let me push the cover down in an attempt to open.

3 hours ago, AWIZRD said:

@TheCMSH - Went thought the screens of the DIC and did not find any Twilight setting - Not much to look through...Language, Approach, Alarm - Will take a look at the stalk next. That being said, if there was a short in the stalk, would it not affect both lights? This only happens on the driver's side.

Another interesting piece that may help...On the drivers side, i can press on the cover and it appears like I could manually open it (didn't try though) - On the passenger side it will not let me push the cover down in an attempt to open.

I'd bet its there, I had it on my '01.  Standard option starting in 99 I think

Now.....if its a Canadian car, you won't be able to change it with getting a mechanic with a Tech II involved

Here's another thought I just remembered:  Check to see if the bump stops are still present where the frame body of the light contacts where it closes.  If your bump stop is missing on that side, there might be your problem