Private Health Insurance

Grape Ape

So with my retirement I may be in the market for private health insurance. I'm wondering how to go about searching for it and possibly buying it. Does anyone on here deal with this or can point me in the right direction? I have some sick time at work that will pay for about a year but not sure if I'll be able to use it for that yet, I need to call them and find out. ANYWAY, if anyone knows how and who to contact let me know. Thanks 

The most important thing is to think about what your personal needs are for coverage, and then educate yourself about what's out there. . .

You can temporarily (this is only a short-term option) continue your existing health coverage under COBRA (pricey, but can be worth it in the event of expected health problems). 

Info here: https://bairdretirementmanagement.com/insight-articles-what-you-need-to-know-about-cobra/ 

Alternatively, check to see if your employer has a provision to allow you to keep your existing coverage with you paying the full premium (this is NOT COBRA, but was what I was able to do when I retired).

Something to consider is that if you allow your existing health insurance to lapse, and you are entirely without health coverage for a while, this can sometimes have an adverse affect on your future coverage availability and cost.  Also, if you have no coverage, unless the law has changed, you will be charged a penalty for not being covered when you file your federal income taxes. 

Here is some general info that could be helpful:  https://www.investopedia.com/best-health-insurance-for-retirees-5087266   (there is a lot of talk about Medicare, but near the bottom of the page there are two links to "Golden Rule" and "Cigna" that are specifically for "under age 65").

Here is a link to search private plans in Arizona  https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/arizona-health-insurance/health-plans/individual-medical

Also, if I were in your place, I would do some research on the websites of reputable companies that offer private health care policies, such as Aetna and Blue Cross Blue Shield. 

Good luck!  :thumbs

• Like 1

SWA will take 20 hours of banked sick time and provide you with "basic coverage" for health and dental and will last until you run out or turn 65.  Mine lasts for 2 months beyond 65 and at that time Johnnie will still be covered for those 2 months. As for private insurance I'll, I'm not a good resource...I'll be looking in a year and a half.

"Alternatively, check to see if your employer has a provision to allow you to keep your existing coverage with you paying the full premium (this is NOT COBRA, but was what I was able to do when I retired)."      I do believe SWA has/had something like what Donna mentioned.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I will be calling southwest employee assistance line Friday morning to see how long my sick hours will last. I don't have enough to last me until I'm 65 as the wife needed my help over the years with her health issues. What I have left won't last very long if the rate is 20 hours per month. I'll have a few months but that's better then nothing if they'll let me use it that way. Then I can take my time and get something I need. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, mrhusker said:

So with my retirement I may be in the market for private health insurance. I'm wondering how to go about searching for it and possibly buying it. Does anyone on here deal with this or can point me in the right direction? I have some sick time at work that will pay for about a year but not sure if I'll be able to use it for that yet, I need to call them and find out. ANYWAY, if anyone knows how and who to contact let me know. Thanks 

call me. I’m a health insurance guru. I only do group now but I will help you through your options. I help people through this all the time now because private healthcare has gotten confusing since the ACA came into play. 

• Like 1

Awesome thanks Mo. You were actually on my radar to call if I can't get the company insurance until my sick time runs out. I'll know more after next week and probably get in touch with you next Friday or so.