Tires etc service on the upper West side

HOXXOH

I recently bought tires from Tire Rack and had them drop shipped to Wilson Millard who is the owner of Mobile Tire & Battery Service, 3580 W. Electra Lane #2, in Glendale. Tire Rack listed him as a highly recommended installer. Since he was also an independent, I assumed (correctly as it turned out) his work would at least equal the best of the corporate tire dealer's tire changer guys, due to having more skin in the game. I didn't use his mobile service (he has tire changing and balancing equipment in a van) to come to me, as I preferred to see his shop, etc.

His shop is not large or highly visible, but appears to be clean and organized. There is a 2-post lift and plenty of space for doing non-tire related work. As we chatted, I found that he had previously worked at the Big O tire store on W Bell Rd near the Black Bear Diner. He and a couple other guys left there shortly after that business was sold, because the new owner wanted to push product and labor that wasn't needed onto unsuspecting customers. Wilson has one other employee, a fellow ex-Big O employee IIRC,  and a growing business, obviously due to treating customers and their cars with respect and care. I don't meet many people (business owners) who strike me as being fair, honest, and capable on the first transaction. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I have no problem taking my Vette to this guy for any work I can't, or don't want to, do myself. I need to do an oil change soon, so I think I'll let him do it, just to confirm my initial opinion.

Wilson Millard.jpg

Thanks Tom. Do you have the Gumby’s on now? Love to see the pics of those on your vette.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, SixAddict said:

Thanks Tom. Do you have the Gumby’s on now? Love to see the pics of those on your vette.

Here ya go. The center caps worked out fine. :thumbs

c7 wheels 007.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hey Tom, have you had an opportunity to go back to that shop and have them change your oil yet? I have a few minor projects I was considering taking to them as a test case to evaluate their competency, but I was waiting for your test oil change first...

I'm scheduled for the oil/filter change Friday 9AM. I'm bringing my own oil and filter, since the Mobil 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 isn't generally available except at Chevy dealers or online. Wilson is fine with that, as it saves him time to search for and acquire special stuff.

1 hour ago, HOXXOH said:

I'm scheduled for the oil/filter change Friday 9AM. I'm bringing my own oil and filter, since the Mobil 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 isn't generally available except at Chevy dealers or online. Wilson is fine with that, as it saves him time to search for and acquire special stuff.

:thumbs  look forward to hearing how your experience is with him.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:47 PM, Chameleon said:

:thumbs  look forward to hearing how your experience is with him.

Unfortunately, the arms on their 2 post lift are not quite sized right to fit on the Corvette's standard shipping slot frame locations. They are expecting to get a 4 post lift installed soon, 3 weeks IIRC. It was the first C7 they attempted to lift and they were very receptive to learning about the concerns and the possible (likely) damage that could occur.

Although they also had in another bay, what at first glance appeared to look similar to a quickjack, but I assumed the lift height would be limited more to dealing with tires & brakes, so I opted to handle the oil change myself.

Apparently, my OEM factory alignment never was checked/corrected by Midway as part of the pre-delivery inspection and prep. The wheels (C6 Gumby) and tires (Continental extreme contact DWS 06 plus) were mounted Aug 27, at 8870 miles, but the OEM Michelin RF front tires were badly worn on the inside edges. They would have been to the wear bars by 13K miles. I suspect quite a few dealers bypass the new car alignment check, because lots of Vette owners have complained about early tire wear. Howard had suggested Masterwerks (19th Av/Deer Valley) for an alignment and I had it done today. It's a real busy shop and they don't do appointments. The alignment guy must be a magician, since the car feels so very much better than I ever thought it would.

Hope to see you at lunch next Tuesday.

22 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Hope to see you at lunch next Tuesday.

Thanks for all the info!  I am gonna miss the lunch next week.  I do plan to attend on the 14th, see you then! 

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I read this, Tom.  I've been searching for a reputable place to take the wife's car for an alignment.  Are you please with the job they did?

Dave