New guy - here are my cars

beneharris

Hi guys, new guy up here in Flagstaff. I've got 2 C3s, one a 1970 L46, and the other a 1968 Convertible. The 70 is apart, and I'm searching for a shop to do the bodywork and paint, and the 68 is one I drive to work most days. I'll post some pictures up shortly.

Well, welcome to the fold.   Anxious to meet up with you during one of our outings.

3 hours ago, Dave64 said:

Well, welcome to the fold.   Anxious to meet up with you during one of our outings.

Thanks. I see there is a meet up here in Flagstaff in August. I will try to make it to that.

• Like 1

Welcome from Avondale. If you don't mind the drive, I'd take your car and go see Joe at Classic Gold in Tempe. He did paint and bodywork on my wifes 78' and he did a fantastic job.

20181015_105106.jpg

20181015_105120_HDR.jpg

20181015_105127.jpg

20181015_105139.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. I actually placed a call into Joe this morning. I had called there before and never received a call back, so I had sort of written them off. I don't have a ton of patience for businesses I have to chase down to spend my money with. I'm hoping he gives me a call back today like they said, or I'll have to move on. 

I've also been suggested Joe's Refinishes, but I've been calling for 3 days straight and they haven't even answered the phone. 

The 78 looks great, those are such cool cars. 

Geri that staffed the front desk at Classic for years retired, and they've had challenges filling that position.  Like Spinal Tap trying to find a new drummer kind of turnover.   Not making excuses for them, but like everyone anymore, they have struggled with getting reliable help at the front desk.  I would suggest maybe asking for Mike (Joe's brother) who does the paint and body stuff primarily

I looked at the website for Joe's Refinishes, looks like they do some high profile work for sure.  I have no personal knowledge of them

• Like 1

Joe's definitely looks high profile, maybe you've gotta know a guy who knows a guy. And yeah, I'll keep trying them. They said he was in the booth this morning, and that he'd call me after he finished up. 

I get the no good help thing, believe me. I'm in the car business, so I am on both sides, haha. If its this hard to get ahold of somebody to give them my money, I can only imagine how hard it will be once the work is in process.

Oh well, I'm probably jumping the gun a bit. I'll give them some time to respond. Thanks for the input!

1 hour ago, beneharris said:

Joe's definitely looks high profile, maybe you've gotta know a guy who knows a guy. And yeah, I'll keep trying them. They said he was in the booth this morning, and that he'd call me after he finished up. 

I get the no good help thing, believe me. I'm in the car business, so I am on both sides, haha. If its this hard to get ahold of somebody to give them my money, I can only imagine how hard it will be once the work is in process.

Oh well, I'm probably jumping the gun a bit. I'll give them some time to respond. Thanks for the input!

Classic Gold is a busy place for sure. Mike painted my wifes car 18 Mo ago and he wants to put a final polish on the car. He said he would call me when they have an opening but that call hasn't come yet but I can assure you that he/they do top quality work.

I had the same problem with Classic gold. Had a repair and a paint correction that needed to be done and was never called back.

Yeah, its unfortunate. There is nothing more frustrating than having to chase someone to give them your money. If it is that hard to give it to them, the aftersales experience is likely to be poor.

I found a couple guys - USA Classic Industries, and Desert Vintage Restoration. DVR seems to be much more responsive than USA, so I'll probably go with them. I'm probably going to drive down next week to visit their shop.

I guess you could say their success is their downfall. We all know Classic Gold to be a stellar shop for our vette’s, I’ve had 2 repainted there and the outcome was spectacular for both of them ( my 82ce and my current 08)

Sorry to hear your having trouble contacting them.

Something else to consider is just because someone answers the phone doesn’t mean your going to get quality work. 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally tried calling them again, and they said they don't do fiberglass work, which is why I hadn't received a phone call back. Sounds like they're happy to paint it, but they won't lay any glass. Oh well!

On 8/19/2021 at 10:29 AM, beneharris said:

I finally tried calling them again, and they said they don't do fiberglass work, which is why I hadn't received a phone call back. Sounds like they're happy to paint it, but they won't lay any glass. Oh well!

Try 602-253-7322 and ask for Richard. At least that's the number and name I wrote down about 10 or so years ago. I've seen his work and it's beyond superb. Not just repairs, but totally restyled show quality entire cars. If he's not at that number, ask for updates to find him. It'll be worth your time to find him.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that Monday. I found a place that can get me in next month, and I think I may go that route. Classic Custom Hot rods is the name of the shop.