Engine tuning...

Buccaneer

I think I'm getting the hang on this engine tuning stuff finally...

tuning computer.jpg

• Haha 1

LOL...I think I could have gone faster, but I kept running out of "ribbon tape" WTF?! :scareddriver:

Yes! Bit I upgraded to a 200watt bulb and electric motor winder for safety reasons. :rolf

What do you think of the new rules in smog hell (California)

CALIFORNIA SMOG CHECK CRACKING DOWN ON
THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE TUNES

c8-flaming-exhaust.jpg
Image courtesy of Corvette Forum

We have heard that this was coming, but now according to the Frequently Asked Questions section of the California Smog Check website, “Beginning July 19, 2021, vehicles with software not provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) will fail Smog Check. Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle’s software restored to the OEM or EO approved software version. Once the software is restored, have your vehicle reinspected by a licensed Smog Check station. Note that vehicles initially directed to a STAR or Referee station must return to the same station type to complete the inspection process.”

The California Air Resource Board (CARB) hopes to reduce vehicle emissions by doing away with vehicle engine tunes. By changing the engine computer programming people can get cheap horsepower increases on modern-day cars with turbochargers without having to make any parts changes or physical modifications to the engine components themselves, just by increasing boost pressure and changing the air/fuel mixture.

The days of being able to do cheap reprogramming of the engine computer is coming to an end even without this new test. As cars become more computers on wheels, manufacturers have begun locking down access to these systems to prevent hacking. The C8 and other General Motors cars have already begun using encrypted engine control units and locked out tuners. This lockout is one of the reasons tuners are having a very hard time making performance enhancements to the now two-year-old C8.

copied from Corvette Mike’s Thundering Thursday Newsletter 

I saw this about a week ago and thought...WOW! That's gonna piss off a lot of people for sure. If you go to test your car in CA and you changed the tune, you will automatically fail the inspection when they plugin to your ALDL connector and compare the OEM tune to what;s in there now. I think cars like mine and others that you can't get an OEM ECM anymore would be OK, but who knows what the hell the fed or local gov is going to do anymore. It's a crazy world USA we now live in. Work harder...millions of illegals and welfare recipients are depending on you.

• Sad 1

This is why you see so many older polluting cars used a DD”s there.
It’s going to really screw the hot rod shops big time, I wonder how someone like Banks will deal with it or does he get a pass since he basically gets access from GM anyway. (His military duramax program is booming)

The tuners in CA will be busy changing tunes back to stock for the next year, or at least as long as it takes to pass emissions. Some will consider it the last straw and move to a different state to escape from the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) oppression.