Rear end is bow legged

TopherAZ

Finally got everything on and got it off the Jacks. We started this on Aug 1st. Probably took us 10 hours of work total but other weekend plans delayed it all. 

Started it up for the 1st time in a month and a half and there's white smoke coming from the right side that was not there before. 

You think it's just from sitting for so long or is it more likely I have a oil or coolant issue? 

Place your bets! 

• Upvote 1

Oil washed down the valve guides, unless you're suddenly pushing or boiling coolant out of it.  Of course, depending on how significant that issue is, that becomes a whole different project

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to have corrected itself. She runs great. 

Unfortunately completely rebuilding and bleeding the rear brakes did nothing. The pedal is very soft. I'm going to have to take it someplace to get that figured out. 

• 1 month later...

Next Question (The rear end is perfect and everything turned out great, thanks to you guys.)

Tachometer reading is all over the place. Generally I would think it's the Tach cable. I've done a ton of searching and haven't gotten anywhere. 

I can't even find the cable itself to replace. 

Can you guys help me out? What to replace? What am I missing? 

The filter could be bad. 
If you have the original distributor look on the top and it will say Tach and the filter plugs into the side of the distributor. Also the filter should be mounted on the intake manifold right by the distributor. Test it with an ohm meter. I think it should be around 500 ohms but I’m old and forgot shit all the time. 

If that isn’t it then you need to check the tach board mounted on the rear of the tach. Look for a burnt spot on the printed circuit board.
If you need to replace the tach board (P/N 393128 for a 79 Vette)

BTW. Be careful charging/jumping the battery. Arcing is the main culprit of burning these old circuits up. 

• Thanks 1