Tucson corvette mechanic?

azmattaz520

22 hours ago, P51tj said:

Howdy, Please provide year of your ride and some specs so we can help you better. Different shop for different years. 

azmattaz520 

II have a 92 Vette, I have a random issue that makes the car idle rough and hesitate from a stop but only when the check engine light is on, replaced a bunch of parts, fuel pump, ground strap, IAC, MAP, MAF, plug wires, injectors, Optispark, I’m probably missing something else, but anyway nothing has helped. 

Buccaneer may be able to shed some light here, might reach out to him. he is a member here so click on his name and send him a message.

• 4 months later...

I'm in the same boat. Just got a Vette and need something fixed. Already took it to the dealership, plunked down over $3500, but the problem isn't fixed yet. I need someone who knows how to FIX things, not just throw up their hands and send me on my way.

Mine is a 2008 Coupe. I'll post the problem in a separate thread, too, but in case someone finds this first, the problem is the all too common fuel smell when the tanks are full. The dealership replaced the fuel pumps, but the smell remains. The dealership did a smoke test and didn't find any leaks anywhere (or so they told me). Now  they say it's probably just the charcoal cannister doing its job (whatever that's supposed to mean). I'm pretty sure that any car - Corvette or otherwise - is NOT supposed to be filling up a garage with gas fumes.

Any guidance from you experts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, mahdaeng said:

I'm in the same boat. Just got a Vette and need something fixed. Already took it to the dealership, plunked down over $3500, but the problem isn't fixed yet. I need someone who knows how to FIX things, not just throw up their hands and send me on my way.

Mine is a 2008 Coupe. I'll post the problem in a separate thread, too, but in case someone finds this first, the problem is the all too common fuel smell when the tanks are full. The dealership replaced the fuel pumps, but the smell remains. The dealership did a smoke test and didn't find any leaks anywhere (or so they told me). Now  they say it's probably just the charcoal cannister doing its job (whatever that's supposed to mean). I'm pretty sure that any car - Corvette or otherwise - is NOT supposed to be filling up a garage with gas fumes.

Any guidance from you experts will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Its the crossover tube and the seal associated with it.  Very well known issue, hard to believe the dealership wouldn't have knowledge of that

4 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Its the crossover tube and the seal associated with it.  Very well known issue, hard to believe the dealership wouldn't have knowledge of that

Thank you, @TheCMSH.

From what I've been able to learn so far from scouring the internet for similar complaints, that could very well be the issue. I won't go into detail, but my interactions with the dealership in question has left a really bad impression on me. I really don't want to go back to them and prolong this seemingly unending saga.

Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations for a good Vette expert that can help me out with this? Preferably in the Tucson area, but I could drive up to Phoenix or somewhere else if need be.

I would work on this myself, but I don't really have the equipment with me at the moment to do it right.

Another thing... I did, in fact, overfill the tank before I knew that I shouldn't do that. Some posts I have found suggest that the charcoal canister can get saturated from that, or that the evap vent might be stuck open.

If the charcoal canister is saturated, does it need to be replaced? Or flushed out somehow? Or will it correct itself on its own over time?

If the evap vent is the issue, do I need to replace the solenoid, or maybe clean something out?

Also, if the problem is with the crossover tube/seals, would the smoke test have indicated that?

I may just be stabbing in the dark here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

All the reading you could ever want.  Old thread, but maybe you can glean something off it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3563123-danger-fuel-leaks-safety-recall.html

As far as the smoke test, crossover tube is on top of the fuel tank(s) so unless they made the effort to really look up there, they may not have seen the issue

My C5 had a crack in the passenger side tank next to the crossover connection (known C5 thing).  I had Classic Gold Auto in Tempe fix mine and I believe they did a smoke test

For now, the odor should go away as the fuel level drops.  Short fill your tank(s) and you likely won't have the odor issue

On 10/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, TheCMSH said:

All the reading you could ever want.  Old thread, but maybe you can glean something off it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3563123-danger-fuel-leaks-safety-recall.html

As far as the smoke test, crossover tube is on top of the fuel tank(s) so unless they made the effort to really look up there, they may not have seen the issue

My C5 had a crack in the passenger side tank next to the crossover connection (known C5 thing).  I had Classic Gold Auto in Tempe fix mine and I believe they did a smoke test

For now, the odor should go away as the fuel level drops.  Short fill your tank(s) and you likely won't have the odor issue

Thank you for the info, @TheCMSH!

As you mentioned, I'm pretty confident the smell will go away as the fuel level goes down. It just bothers me that filling the tank to capacity should even be a problem.

Maybe I'll give Classic Gold a call.

Thanks again!