A crossfire is running WHAT?!

Buccaneer

It’s hotter than heck out there. Lonnie met with our AC guy yesterday to talk about upgrading the garage AC. Even with the 1 1/2 ton, it’s still unbearable. Can’t get anything done in the summer. 

I used to own a insulation company. And even if you insulate your ceiling in the garage, most exterior garage walls are not insulated. Not to mention the gaps from the door.

1 hour ago, 1jester said:

I used to own a insulation company. And even if you insulate your ceiling in the garage, most exterior garage walls are not insulated. Not to mention the gaps from the door.

We had an insulated door put in with no gaps when we went with AC.  The 4 ton and better placement of vents should take care of the heat. Crossing fingers. 

18 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

in the garage today at 104* in the garage,

I spent 14 hours working in Wellton last Sunday. It was 117 all afternoon 

30 minutes ago, Desertdawg said:

I spent 14 hours working in Wellton last Sunday. It was 117 all afternoon 

Hopefully, it was all overtime.

What he meant to say was...I spent 14 hours working in Wellton last Sunday in my air conditioned truck set @ 67*. It was 117 all afternoon. Whew! It was hot outside and I got a S&^* ton of overtime.  :smilelol

So the tuning process is still ongoing. I'm on Bin7 so far, but coming along nicely. The VE looks good now for the most part and added some timing to see how she reacts at WOT. NO knk counts which is good and rev's pretty fast now. Had an issue at idle (typical CF issue) and my IAC counts were zero (closed) when watching the laptop. Found out that my front TB IAC was testing OK, but the IAC pintle was stuck in wide open position and the other TB, back one was fully closed to try and compensate for the extra air at idle. So it was getting too much air and the rear TB was staying closed. Keep in mind that both IACs are in series, not parallel. They both get the same signal from the ECM, but they can be a tad temperamental at times.

Replaced it and everything is back to normal and idles fine and counts are where they need to be again. Here is the VE (fuel) low speed table and high speed table is almost identical. Looks pretty good actually, nice and smooth transitions. Goal is still 11.99, but we shall see. More as I progress.:thumbs

bin6 ve.jpg

9 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

So the tuning process is still ongoing. I'm on Bin7 so far, but coming along nicely. The VE looks good now for the most part and added some timing to see how she reacts at WOT. NO knk counts which is good and rev's pretty fast now. Had an issue at idle (typical CF issue) and my IAC counts were zero (closed) when watching the laptop. Found out that my front TB IAC was testing OK, but the IAC pintle was stuck in wide open position and the other TB, back one was fully closed to try and compensate for the extra air at idle. So it was getting too much air and the rear TB was staying closed. Keep in mind that both IACs are in series, not parallel. They both get the same signal from the ECM, but they can be a tad temperamental at times.

Replaced it and everything is back to normal and idles fine and counts are where they need to be again. Here is the VE (fuel) low speed table and high speed table is almost identical. Looks pretty good actually, nice and smooth transitions. Goal is still 11.99, but we shall see. More as I progress.:thumbs

bin6 ve.jpg

huh? 

😂

On 6/29/2021 at 2:25 PM, Buccaneer said:

Sorry for all the CF tech stuff. :smilelol

Oh no, quite the contrary.  It's good to know who the brightest kid in class is when a question arises!  🤔

• 1 month later...

Finished the new fuel line setup and runs well again vs the hardlines I had and having issues.

20210803_183721.jpg

20210803_183657.jpg

2 hours ago, JohnU said:

Tom,  

Tell us when this will happen?

3373F729-C3FE-4072-957A-3DEBE9A6FFD0.jpeg

Damn John, I hope NEVER! :ack That's more like a C6, 7 or 8 kind of thing, with way more torque than me.

12 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Damn John, I hope NEVER! :ack That's more like a C6, 7 or 8 kind of thing, with way more torque than me.

Come on, think big!  Moe’s already snapped a spindle.  

Yeah, come on Tom.  
I bit thru a toothpick one time, it’s not that big of a deal. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnU said:

Come on, think big!  Moe’s already snapped a spindle.  

Yep, and that's what happens when you have cheap Chinese crap steel. Lonnie went and bought some good spinals from Tom's and that shit isn't going to happen again. I plan on changing mine as well to Tom's, just in case. :thumbs Now all I have to worry about is the half shafts breaking and sending one into my kidney's as it breaks through the back wall. Yikes! :ack Now I guess I need some half shaft loops. Damn!

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Yep, and that's what happens when you have cheap Chinese crap steel. Lonnie went and bought some good spinals from Tom's and that shit isn't going to happen again. I plan on changing mine as well to Tom's, just in case. :thumbs Now all I have to worry about is the half shafts breaking and sending one into my kidney's as it breaks through the back wall. Yikes! :ack Now I guess I need some half shaft loops. Damn!

get a loop!!  I think you need them to pass tech, don’t you?  (If not,forgive my ignorance-Lonnie is out in the garage working on his car and I don’t want to get off my couch to go ask him)

And take your time, until they prep the track better, I’m not going back. I had too many close calls on launch the other week. 

Yeah, I know. The track prep when we were all there looked like it sucked even after they did it again or was that the first prep of the night since everyone was slipping and sliding everywhere. :ack Loops I do not believe are a mandatory item at my level, but may be at a higher level. Would have to check NRA rules on that one. What's Lonnie doing...installing Camaro faster mods?

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Yeah, I know. The track prep when we were all there looked like it sucked even after they did it again or was that the first prep of the night since everyone was slipping and sliding everywhere. :ack Loops I do not believe are a mandatory item at my level, but may be at a higher level. Would have to check NRA rules on that one. What's Lonnie doing...installing Camaro faster mods?

Lonnie thinks they may be mandatory, he’s settled down and couching it so I could ask him😂 he’s looking at the rule book in a bit. I believe last time I teched, the tech guy asked if I had them. 

Today’s job was making a new exhaust and getting rid of the xpipe. He just put in a new converter and tranny. 

Oh nice! A new TC and tranny is always nice. I've never had them ask me about the loops on my car, but I'm not running 11s...yet. LOL:smilelol

On 8/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, aenigma said:

Lonnie thinks they may be mandatory, he’s settled down and couching it so I could ask him😂 he’s looking at the rule book in a bit. I believe last time I teched, the tech guy asked if I had them. 

Today’s job was making a new exhaust and getting rid of the xpipe. He just put in a new converter and tranny. 

Loops not required slower than 10.99. Loop size required is 1" wide by 1/4" thick. No material type specified, so plastic, rubber, wood, etc must be legal.

10 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

Loops not required slower than 10.99. Loop size required is 1" wide by 1/4" thick. No material type specified, so plastic, rubber, wood, etc must be legal.

Yeah, I didn't think it was mandatory, but it is a good idea in a C3. So...PLASTIC it is, that should be safe enough. :rolf

46 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Yeah, I didn't think it was mandatory, but it is a good idea in a C3. So...PLASTIC it is, that should be safe enough. :rolf

The actual ruling reads in part:

"Cars running 10.99 or quicker that weigh more than 2,000 pounds with independent suspension without upper and lower (both) control arms must replace swing axle differential with conventional differential housing assembly. (Example: (1963-1982 Corvette)."

I bolded the "must" to emphasize the safety importance of the rule. There is no definition of "conventional differential housing assembly", so get a written opinion from a certified NHRA chassis inspector before you make plans to breach the 11 second barrier.

Tom is right about the 10.99 for Irs w upper and lower control arms. C3 Irs doesn’t have upper control arms, it actually uses the half shaft as the uppers, so as far as I can tell C3 Irs isn’t legal at all faster than 11.00.  

I did buy these 3” half shafts. The 3.5” my interfere w the battery box. https://www.racevette.com/store/p1/Half_Shaft_3"_or_3_1%2F2"_1963-79_(a_pair).html

Racevette makes something that should be legal for 10s. 

From 2021 NHRA rulebook:

FCE1B703-9002-4CDC-A59C-7692CBFC1396.jpeg