A crossfire is running WHAT?!

Buccaneer

Quick update... Tuning is moving along, slowly. The heat IS holding me back, but have been taking the car out lately since it's been nice for some datalogging. I'm still working on the fuel tables and getting pretty close to being done. The motor is running nicely even though I don't have much timing in it right now. 30* max. Once I get the fuel tables where I want them, I will start adding power into it. She does run pretty good right now though. :thumbs On bin11 so far. Once I get to adding power, I will take Dragy along for the ride just to get an idea how it's doing.

Also, going to the Pavilions tomorrow morning around 6:30am if anyone is going.

• 2 months later...

I saw this posted on the C3 CF today and actually chuckled out loud while watching it. A 71 C3 beating up on a modded C5. GO C3 POWER. :burnoutWondering if the cop turned around? LOL Mine is still torn apart waiting for the never ending backorder parts. Ugh! Enjoy!

C3 POWER

31 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

I saw this posted on the C3 CF today and actually chuckled out loud while watching it. A 71 C3 beating up on a modded C5. GO C3 POWER. :burnoutWondering if the cop turned around? LOL Mine is still torn apart waiting for the never ending backorder parts. Ugh! Enjoy!

C3 POWER

where the world is that camera mount?? 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

It's ALIVE! That is all. :thumbs

that is awesome Tom!  Running like running? Jan 1 cruise perhaps? Or just drive it over and say hi? 

Running as in, runs OK to drive and NOW I can continue with my 11.99 ET tune. Hell Yeah! :thumbs

• Like 1

Tune IS progressing nicely and getting better on every new bin iteration. Just loaded the next new bin last night after getting back from the pavilions. We shall see how it launches today and at 30 and 50mph hits. It is definitely hauling a**.  GO CFI! :thumbs

• Upvote 1

What’s this I heard from Lonnie yesterday about a patented car part?  I knew you were all that but I didn’t know you were “all that”. That is so stinking cool!  

6 hours ago, aenigma said:

What’s this I heard from Lonnie yesterday about a patented car part?  I knew you were all that but I didn’t know you were “all that”. That is so stinking cool!  

Oh, that's our intake manifold...the Renegade. I have a race shop in PA that wants to buy the rights, inventory and all the tooling to make them again. I have a price in mind and depending on that price, there may also be a royalty fee that I want to add for the next say, three years or so on every sale. I have a lot of money tied up in that project and a pre-production manifold is on my motor now.

Loaded the new bin and took it out for a test drive in Mexico today, long trip. LOL NO BOOG on a launch now at all, just haul ass mode. Put a few degrees of timing in it with more fuel in certain areas and it REALLY liked it. I'm getting close, but not 100% yet to go to the track with it...Soon!

Here is an early development pic about 12 years ago and being compared to the stock GM manifold. Mine breaths a whole lot better. :thumbs

rencr.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Buccaneer said:

Oh, that's our intake manifold...the Renegade. I have a race shop in PA that wants to buy the rights, inventory and all the tooling to make them again. I have a price in mind and depending on that price, there may also be a royalty fee that I want to add for the next say, three years or so on every sale. I have a lot of money tied up in that project and a pre-production manifold is on my motor now.

Loaded the new bin and took it out for a test drive in Mexico today, long trip. LOL NO BOOG on a launch now at all, just haul ass mode. Put a few degrees of timing in it with more fuel in certain areas and it REALLY liked it. I'm getting close, but not 100% yet to go to the track with it...Soon!

Here is an early development pic about 12 years ago and being compared to the stock GM manifold. Mine breaths a whole lot better. :thumbs

rencr.png

You’ve got the coolness factor on fire! 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, aenigma said:

Right?  But, how could you NOT know this?  Buc is "Mr. Engineer" with C3 breathing apparatus!!!  

On 12/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, Chameleon said:

Right?  But, how could you NOT know this?  Buc is "Mr. Engineer" with C3 breathing apparatus!!!  

:funnypost:  Loaded bin17 tune this morning. Not sure if I will have enough time to drive to Mexico for a hit. More to follow... :thumbs

Getting closer and closer to finishing the tune up. Bin 22 and started to add more power to it to see how she likes it. According to the datalog, I pulled off a 1.50, 60'. But I'll called it a 1.60, 60'. More calculates like this so far.

Based on the data, I'm at 425-RWHP...

That's good for maybe an 11.76 ET at 122-mph with a 1.80 sixty foot.
86% Duty Cycle w/80# injectors at 30-psi fuel pressure = 121.5# (425-RWHP, hit was in Gear w/load)...
If this is correct or even close, the CF is hauling ass big time. :burnout That is all...for now. :smilelol
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Getting closer and closer to finishing the tune up. Bin 22 and started to add more power to it to see how she likes it. According to the datalog, I pulled off a 1.50, 60'. But I'll called it a 1.60, 60'. More calculates like this so far.

Based on the data, I'm at 425-RWHP...

That's good for maybe an 11.76 ET at 122-mph with a 1.80 sixty foot.
86% Duty Cycle w/80# injectors at 30-psi fuel pressure = 121.5# (425-RWHP, hit was in Gear w/load)...
If this is correct or even close, the CF is hauling ass big time. :burnout That is all...for now. :smilelol

in what air? 

that’s awesome. Let me know when your maiden voyage is. We’ll be there. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, aenigma said:

in what air? 

that’s awesome. Let me know when your maiden voyage is. We’ll be there. 

OK, here goes...

It's a calculation between what I use, the tune editor (TunerPro RT) and the engine monitoring software What's Up Display (WUD) from Dynamic EFI. I calculate the injector duty cycle (DC) with Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) (#'s per hour), but I also use the duty cycle closest to stoichiometric on the wideband. The wideband needs to be dead on in that area of the datalog that I use, otherwise the calculated fuel is actually wasted fuel, and the numbers will be off.

I then calculate the g/sec in conjunction with the fueling and that gives me my engine's projected power.  From there, I use the data from the Performance tab in the What's Up Display software (WUD) taken from my latest datalogs, calculate the approximate car weight (3500 pounds, give or take a few for my fat ass), then that gives me my projected times. So no Air/DA involved in this calculation.

So, in theory, my CFI should be able to run 11s with this new tune which is awesome and a MUCH better tune overall. I hope this all makes sense and helps Lonnie out. :rolf Now, I hope I don't start breaking things...YIKES!

1 hour ago, Buccaneer said:

OK, here goes...

It's a calculation between what I use, the tune editor (TunerPro RT) and the engine monitoring software What's Up Display (WUD) from Dynamic EFI. I calculate the injector duty cycle (DC) with Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) (#'s per hour), but I also use the duty cycle closest to stoichiometric on the wideband. The wideband needs to be dead on in that area of the datalog that I use, otherwise the calculated fuel is actually wasted fuel, and the numbers will be off.

I then calculate the g/sec in conjunction with the fueling and that gives me my engine's projected power.  From there, I use the data from the Performance tab in the What's Up Display software (WUD) taken from my latest datalogs, calculate the approximate car weight (3500 pounds, give or take a few for my fat ass), then that gives me my projected times. So no Air/DA involved in this calculation.

So, in theory, my CFI should be able to run 11s with this new tune which is awesome and a MUCH better tune overall. I hope this all makes sense and helps Lonnie out. :rolf Now, I hope I don't start breaking things...YIKES!

That sounds far more complicated than changing jet sizes in the carb and tweaking the distributor a degree, in response to changes on a thermometer and barometer in the pre-computer era. Breaking things was confirmation you made more power. :yesnod

Well, it is somewhat more complicated, but that's what using technology comes down to now, right? Doing the same thing with a carb IS a guessing game and labor intensive until you finally get it right. Using a WB with a carb, helps out a lot, but its still not as easy as making some changes on a laptop and hitting it right away...right? 

I'm all to familiar with breaking things back in the day and it sucked and got expensive just like today. It's the price you pay to go fast and never will change. I will be happy with 11.99, but anything faster is BONUS in my book with CFI and with only two injectors. :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try and finish up the tune for this next weekend at Wildhorse, but NO promises at this point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buccaneer said:

Going to try and finish up the tune for this next weekend at Wildhorse, but NO promises at this point.

we will be there Tom. We enjoyed seeing you yesterday in Tucson and can’t wait to watch you race! 

1 hour ago, old yeller said:

Good looking launch.

Got this picture off of Tucson Dragways homepage.

271668197_3059899107611002_7166006960018645466_n.jpg

hey thank you!  They said they’re featuring me on their site. They’re liking my car. It’s running so well this weekend. 

I made another post on here off of the Tucson Dragway Instagram page. Same pic. Nice and looks like the shocks are topped out and the wheels are getting close to lifting.

• Like 1

So, I reinstalled the plugs after looking at them for any real signs of detonation and didn't really see anything that said...Yep, it's pinging like crazy evidence that I'm seeing at lower map/rpm. Changed the tune a bit more, added a little more fuel in the cells that were affected and pulled a little timing.

So, I took it out again and did some more data logging. This did not really help and I did hit it once (launch) and it DID NOT like the new settings at all. Musch to rich at off idle hit.  Changing back to the previous bin file and do some more data logging. This is why I said yesterday that the car is not 100% yet, but it is somewhat close. Just not ready for the track yet to blast it. The tune is like fine wine...nothing will be served before its time. :smilelolThe saga continues...

• Like 1