I Finally Got It!

Dave64

Last Wednesday, I finally took delivery of my 2020 Accelerate Yellow Metallic Coupe (not a Z51) at the National Corvette Museum. My brother met me there to help with the return trip driving chores. My plan was to start out on Thursday driving south to Birmingham, then take the 20 west to Wichita Falls, TX to visit with old car buddies I'd not seen in over 30 years.  Then, we were going to drive to Amarillo, so my brother could experience the Big Texan steak house. We would then drive SSW thru New Mexico to enjoy the beautiful country side and mountain drive to north of El Paso, then home.

Wednesday afternoon, after my great Museum experience, we went back to the hotel and applied track tape to the front of the car for protection. Thursday, we set out for Birmingham and my brother's house for overnight. Within an hour of being on the road, God had the nerve to rain on us for the remainder of the day. Friday was a nice drive to Wichita Falls, watching the odometer move toward 500 miles to signify the initial break-in was complete (got it on video). 

Well, when we woke up Saturday morning, the Weather Channel was showing all the snow-covered roads right where we had planned on going on.  No problem. We decided it best to drive south to miss the snow, to San Antonio, catch the  20 and head west. Everyone knows about best played plans and how they can turn to shit in a heart beat.  Not half an hour on the road and it started snowing on us. It quickly turned into a damned all-out snow storm, complete with all kinds of cars & trucks spinning off the road into ditches.  We drove for nearly five hours in the snow, in my brand new car! (Note: I did not know that the car has a Weather mode until this morning) We made it unscathed, thank God.

This car is wonderful and has far exceeded all my expectations so far. It is very quick, but subtle. I got it with the optional exhaust, so I can open the baffles for more aggressive sound. It averaged over 31 mpg @ 80~85 driving across New Mexico and into Phoenix. The overall was 27.5 mpg @ 68.5 mph. I know...mileage is not a reason to get this car - it just seems so hard to believe that a 495 hp car that can do 60 in 3 seconds flat can do that. I could go on & on...probably will when we all get to get together again.

IMG_20210110_130443.jpg

IMG_20210107_132928.jpg

IMG_20210106_075318.jpg

IMG_20210106_110828.jpg

IMG_20210106_090419.jpg

• Upvote 2

Definitely cool. Learning to drive a new car in the snow without using the weather mode. Fantastic. :thumbs

Now get that oil change and have some fun where it's warm and dry. :burnout

Congrats

Congrats on the purchase. That trip looks like a few I've done also. White knuckles and all...Glad you made it thru the snow. I actually saw one of those in the delivery staging area in that color when I was there last month, pretty neat shade.

Congrats on a beautiful machine!  I was all ready to suggest taking the Southern route(I-10) until I read all of your post.  Enjoy that great ride.