December 11, Track night CANCELLED

aenigma

CANCELLED DUE TO GOD FORBID ANYONE IS STANDING ALL BY THEMSELVES AND DOESN’T HAVE A MASK ON 

If you’ve ever though of bringing your Vette or another car to the tracks, it’d be cool to meet up at Wild Horse Pass Friday night drags on December 11. Even if it’s just to hang out, or run yours. 
 They monitor face masks at all times, so bring your face mask. It’s going to be crowded probably so show up early if you can. There are no spectators allowed but drivers can have up to 5 crew members. So if you’re not driving, ask a person who’s driving to add you to their crew member list.

Tech starts at 5pm. 
Post up if you’re coming. 

UPDATE FOR TICKETS:  you can only buy them online before the event. Go to www.racewildhorse.com or check Facebook for the tickets. They’ve been selling out early. 

aenigma 

I've raced Grape a few times......I'm not impressed with it at all. Not sure I'll ever try it again even though it was fun. Plus certain people in my life just hate it when I tell them I'm drag racing with it.

2 hours ago, mrhusker said:

I've raced Grape a few times..... Plus certain people in my life just hate it when I tell them I'm drag racing with it.

I know that program... having a slow Corvette prevents that for me.

Decades ago one club member in the north here wadded up his new Vette on the track.  Took him years to pay it off and years more to buy parts to put back together.... (the track sends vin numbers to the insurance people to keep claims of cars falling off trailers at the gate to a minimum!)  😉  

4 hours ago, JohnU said:

I know that program... having a slow Corvette prevents that for me.

Decades ago one club member in the north here wadded up his new Vette on the track.  Took him years to pay it off and years more to buy parts to put back together.... (the track sends vin numbers to the insurance people to keep claims of cars falling off trailers at the gate to a minimum!)  😉  

ouch. That’s why I’d never take a daily driver or any car that has a loan. Lonnies wanted me to take my c7, absolutely not under any circumstance. 

14 hours ago, aenigma said:

ouch. That’s why I’d never take a daily driver or any car that has a loan. Lonnies wanted me to take my c7, absolutely not under any circumstance. 

IMHO, the fear of financial loss has two branches. One is a lack of personal confidence in the ability to accomplish a task. It speaks to the risk vs reward factor that exists in our everyday life. The other is the unknown, where you make attempts to limit, but ultimately can't control.

That said, I'm in for the fun. The only question becomes which car I take. :burnout

2 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

IMHO, the fear of financial loss has two branches. One is a lack of personal confidence in the ability to accomplish a task. It speaks to the risk vs reward factor that exists in our everyday life. The other is the unknown, where you make attempts to limit, but ultimately can't control.

That said, I'm in for the fun. The only question becomes which car I take. :burnout

YEA!!  The c7. It needs to be broken in! 

23 hours ago, HOXXOH said:

... The other is the unknown, where you make attempts to limit, but ultimately can't control...

...um, yah, like that jackass in the brand new Camaro that took out the entire right side of my red vert on the west track at Wild Horse Pass because the track curved right and he drove straight ahead - into the side of my car.  Ugh. 

I recommend taking the highway flyer, not the brand new C7... Just sayin'...

Racing a car at a drag strip with street tires is no harder on your car than taking off from a traffic light and accelerating to 110-120. Everyone here has done that several times I’m sure. The chances of wrecking it are MUCH lower at the drag strip. 

In over 35 years at the drag strip I’ve seen one car that was slower than 10s crash. 

It’s fun, if your car breaks on the track, it was about to break anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

...um, yah, like that jackass in the brand new Camaro that took out the entire right side of my red vert on the west track at Wild Horse Pass because the track curved right and he drove straight ahead - into the side of my car.  Ugh. 

I recommend taking the highway flyer, not the brand new C7... Just sayin'...

we were just talking about people who don’t know how to drive and buy a fast car. I’ve seen it on regular streets, had a bmw want to race me not too long ago. He did a 360 and ended up in the wall. If they’re not comfortable, they shouldn’t be on the track endangering others  or speeding on the streets. 

And as Einstein said, “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the former.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmm... sounds tempting.

It’s been so long I forget the rules?

When do I need a helmet? Do they check dates on them?

8 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

Tom will verify if I’m off. 
I think helmet under 14 sec. If quicker, helmet and yes they check mine every time. 

I think you can run anything 14 or over with virtually no rules as far as if it’s street legal. 
it’s a great night out with awesome cars to see and hear. 

7 hours ago, Desertdawg said:

The track only REQUIRES you to have a helmet on from the front of the staging lane until you get out of sight somewhere around the 1/8th mile lights. I usually keep mine on until I return to the pits. You NEED to have a helmet on prior to the car being in any other position than upright and in a straight line on your side of the track.

Tech inspects helmets for dates and will reject older than 2010. I've seen people who have borrowed a helmet to get through tech and then use one that's apparently out of date.

Rollbars are required for verts going quicker than 14.00 and coupes older than 2008 going quicker than 11.50. If you're going quicker than 11.50 you also need a fire jacket. Unless they've started to check registrations (I doubt it) any '05-'07 C6 should just claim it as an '08.

I suspect anyone who is capable of going quicker than 11.50 already knows those rules. However, nearly any Vette convertible can go quicker than 14.00, so if you don't have a rollbar they won't let you race.

I may go to this, but the 82 won't be there even though I would like to. It's too hot still for me and the car and I have a couple things to finish on it before it's ready for the track in Jan/Feb in cooler weather. BTW...Thanks Lonnie for the conversation yesterday and I did call both places that we talked about. :yeah:  Arrrrrr....:buc:

My Bad! I thought this one was the Oct 17th track night. :banghead The 82 may be ready by then...

Thanks Tom,

I would like to get into the 11’s but my 12.2 at 85 corrected may not fall if it’s still warm. 
I would have to borrow a bucket to get thru tech. 👀  

33 minutes ago, Desertdawg said:

Thanks Tom,

I would like to get into the 11’s but my 12.2 at 85 corrected may not fall if it’s still warm. 
I would have to borrow a bucket to get thru tech. 👀  

you got it! 

Oh, I think I'd have to attend just to try to see Dwayne try get Mo's helmet on his enormous cranium

1 hour ago, TheCMSH said:

Oh, I think I'd have to attend just to try to see Dwayne try get Mo's helmet on his enormous cranium

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Chameleon said:

@aenigma how do I reserve a spot on your pit crew for this night? 

that’s cool how you did that @ thing. 
just say you’re my crew and it’s good. BUT they’ve just opened up to spectators a couple weeks ago. Yea! 

My car barely cracked into the 13's last time I tried this, that was years ago at the ACE day at Speed World. Yeah, that long ago. Don't get me wrong, it is fun but with 2:73 gears in the ass end it's just not fast enough for me to really enjoy it much. I'd love to add more go-fast stuff but the wife drives it sometimes and I think it's plenty fast enough for her capabilities. I'd hate myself if I made it faster and something happened to her. If I decide to attend it will be as a spectator as well. It will be nice and cool out so it should make for some great racing.

5 minutes ago, mrhusker said:

My car barely cracked into the 13's last time I tried this, that was years ago at the ACE day at Speed World. Yeah, that long ago. Don't get me wrong, it is fun but with 2:73 gears in the ass end it's just not fast enough for me to really enjoy it much. I'd love to add more go-fast stuff but the wife drives it sometimes and I think it's plenty fast enough for her capabilities. I'd hate myself if I made it faster and something happened to her. If I decide to attend it will be as a spectator as well. It will be nice and cool out so it should make for some great racing.

agreed. I wouldn’t take it down the strip. Too much can go wrong. 

and the make it faster rabbit hole I’ve seen first hand. It can never be fast enough until 6s. 

• Like 1

I say bring it out Mark. I need a C5 to beat up on and make my CF look fast. :burnoutDoh!

• Like 1