C5 Battery - Doesn't Have To Be Purple! 😞

Grape Ape

My battery, yeller top Optima, will need to be replaced very soon it seems. It's getting harder to crank and start but hasn't completely died just yet. Battery tender is always yeller and doesn't get to green. So I'm on the lookout for a good battery now. Is there anyone that knows of any great deals out there for an AGM or whatever anyone suggests? I'm not totally opposed to a wet cell BUT....and this is a must, IT CAN'T HAVE THE TOP POSTS AT ALL...I have a new battery cover I want to use and the top post battery would make that impossible so it has to be without them. Any good deals you know of locally would be great. Hope everyone is doing well and being safe. Still kickin' here but getting anxious to get out again and be around peeps.

Damn tablet.....seems I have 2 threads on this so please someone delete one for me...tanks.

5 minutes ago, mrhusker said:

Damn tablet.....seems I have 2 threads on this so please someone delete one for me...tanks.

Done! :ACE:

Last I check, Autozone now as an AGM battery for a C5.  I was starting to look before I sold the car.  I had a Autozone Gold standard battery in there, been replaced under warranty a couple times, never an issue with it splitting like some of the older wet cells would do

11 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

Last I check, Autozone now as an AGM battery for a C5.  I was starting to look before I sold the car.  I had a Autozone Gold standard battery in there, been replaced under warranty a couple times, never an issue with it splitting like some of the older wet cells would do

I got one there a few months ago, but they claim the warranty starts with the first purchase date and doesn't start over with each replacement.  Still a decent deal

1 hour ago, y2krtaf said:

Interstate also makes an AGM.

Costco carrries and sells Interstate,but does not usually have the AGM’s on the shelf,but can order them,and we all know how most Costco’s do warranty so

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtz-78/1998-chevrolet-corvette-v857l-standard?search=true

Wish I had known Costco could special order  :(

• Like 1

I’m still running my original red top, and I’m still a fan of Optima’s. 
Maybe look at red for a little lower price. 

Thanks for all the tips, I’m still thinking about it and looking for one. I actually have a red top in my truck and love it. It’s been in there since 2006, yes I said 2006....I’ve heard they don’t last quite as long anymore but haven’t really seen it first hand.

I was a big fan of OPTIMA batteries,  until this. Now I am skeptical,  since they no longer a part of Interstate Batteries,  I believe Johnson Controls owns them now and the quality has dropped in some areas, alot of bad opinions on the net now.

This battery was in our TACOMA for 5yrs.

20200703_143027.jpg

20200703_150259.jpg

Well that sucks....I just ordered the red top from advanced auto earlier this morning. They had the cheapest price after the 25% off code. Mine won't have the top posts though so we'll see how it goes I guess. They didn't have any in stock so it won't be here until next week. I'm going to put the car on a charger today so it will start for the gathering tomorrow morning.

I’ve had great luck with the Red top Optima also. The one in the Vette is from 2015 top posts (Johnson Control’s) and I just replaced it, don’t know if it was bad but i started getting the electric gremlins the C6 does when it has a low battery issue. I went with another Red Top.

I guess like everything else it’s hit or miss on quality.