Brake dust

Vette R & D

Vette R & D

Okay so I know that the amount of brake dust off my factory pads is a common problem.   Here is my question or the advise I seek,  Changing pads is a fairly simple process,  but I have 22000 miles on the rotors and pads,  Can the rotors be turned or should they just be replace?

I think I need a new smooth surface to get the new pads to seat properly to the rotors.    I have a 2017 GS with the slotted larger rotors.  Please let me know what you think and if you know a shop that could advise me on this please pass it on to me.

Thanks

Ron K

With 22K on the ODO I would think your rotors would be in good shape and have plenty material left if you need to have them turned. In the interim, Armor All makes a Brake Dust Repellent and I use the stuff religiously on my cars and it works well. A single can will provide about 4 applications, depending on how heavy you spray it. If you still want to go with new pads and rotors, then I would see Bill Large at Arrowhead Caddy. He is our service advisor and is a straight shooter and you'll know the work will be done right the first time.

https://www.armorall.com/products/wheels/brake-dust-repellent

I get this at Wal-Mart

Turn'em.

Most dealers won't turn'em anymore.....too much time to have the tech waiting for the machine to grind'em down. Just make the customer pay retail for a pair or set of rotors $$$. 

I'm not sure what the pad of choice is for your application.  Those factory pads must have been "dusty".

My last go-round was with a Lexus service writer who was "floored" when I told him "no" I'll do it myself for $150 vs paying him $1,500 for a 4 rotor/pads. I even told him the amount of bolts involved and the size of wrenches needed.

Emery paper and a dual action sander. Scuff/de-glaze the rotor surfaces. Install low dust pads, bed them properly 

don’t laugh, done this more than once and had great results every time. I don’t even take the rotors off to do it

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Emery paper and a dual action sander. Scuff/de-glaze the rotor surfaces. Install low dust pads, bed them properly 

don’t laugh, done this more than once and had great results every time. I don’t even take the rotors off to do it

^^^  :agreewith the mileage you have, unless your rotors are badly scored and / or have a big lip around the outer edge, they don't need to be turned. 

Ceramic pads from auto zone seem to dust less.  Also, that spray recommended by Greg does work...

At the point where my rotors need to be turned, I just get new ones. The cost isn't that much more, and I avoid all the hassle of trying to find a place to turn them.  Of course, I am driving a lowly C6, so YMMV...

On 8/2/2020 at 6:09 AM, Chameleon said:

^^^  :agreewith the mileage you have, unless your rotors are badly scored and / or have a big lip around the outer edge, they don't need to be turned. 

Ceramic pads from auto zone seem to dust less.  Also, that spray recommended by Greg does work...

At the point where my rotors need to be turned, I just get new ones. The cost isn't that much more, and I avoid all the hassle of trying to find a place to turn them.  Of course, I am driving a lowly C6, so YMMV...

:agree